Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Foodies BS Thread.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #41
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
easy bro. you are (95% sure about this) buying the wrong part of the pig. you absolutely need the shoulder. called different things..boston butt, butt roast, etc. dont let "butt" fool you. back in the day, it was called the butt of the leg or something.

you need the fat and connective tissue to break down and create the soft tender juicy roast. i bet you are either trying a tenderloin or rear hind part.

before you use a crock pot, brown the veggies. with pork you dont need to brown the meat. but it would help to brown the veggies before you dump everything in the crock pot. if you use any tomato paste, brown it at the end of your veggie saute.

This- Boston Butt in the crock pot, with onions and carrots= glorious!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #42
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
^ If you are wanting a pork roast?

You do have to buy the right kind of roast, but I would have to know what exactly you do to do it wrong. Roasts are very easy, but one step missed could ruin it. After getting the right roast, the first thing you want to do is salt and pepper the outside, and sear and brown the edges in a pan (helps to lock in the right amount of juices). Put your veggies in the pot (carrotts, celery, potatoes, onion, and whatever else you want). Place your roast on top of the veggies and season with what ever you like. Fill with just about a half inch of water (if even that amount). SET IT, and FORGET IT!!!

Make sure you are not cooking too long for what ever size raost you are doing, and don't forget veggies like the carrot, onion, and celery; whether you eat the veggies or not they add a ton of flavor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
What the guy after you said... probably has to do with the amount of liquid and length of time you're cooking it for.

I made this recipe last weekend, and it turned out amazing - followed the recipe, but finished it in a crock pot instead of the oven.

made mashed potatoes and roasted carrots with it.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pot-...0000001947686/
Well I like to use beef when I do a pot roast. I usually get a chuck roast? Does that sound right? I know it has a pretty good amount of fat in and around the meat. The way I cook it is similar to what you guys described. I use all the mentioned above veggies but instead of water, I use beef broth for more flavor. I do not sear the meat but I will have to try that next time.

I think my biggest question is....at what setting on the crock pot? Low, medium, high? And for how many hours on that setting. I know it depends on the size and weight of the meat but just a general temp and time.

I also heard of methods to where you cook it on high for like an hour, then cook it on low for the remainder of the time.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #43
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Well I like to use beef when I do a pot roast. I usually get a chuck roast? Does that sound right? I know it has a pretty good amount of fat in and around the meat. The way I cook it is similar to what you guys described. I use all the mentioned above veggies but instead of water, I use beef broth for more flavor. I do not sear the meat but I will have to try that next time.

I think my biggest question is....at what setting on the crock pot? Low, medium, high? And for how many hours on that setting. I know it depends on the size and weight of the meat but just a general temp and time.

I also heard of methods to where you cook it on high for like an hour, then cook it on low for the remainder of the time.
Low and slow, baby! Low and slow...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #44
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I should've clarified - there are different kinds of roasts, done different ways. For this one, I used high on the crockpot for about 4 hours - easy to go longer if you want. I sear the meat, but in reality it doesn't end up making much of a difference in this kind of recipe (per Jamie Oliver who tested it both methods, many myths in cooking, like searing seals in juices - it doesn't). This recipe is for a pot roast, that has a lot of liquid and just falls apart (mine did). The combination of merlot, beef broth, thyme (my favorite herb) and carmalized veggies it cooks in) gives it a great deal of depth and many layers of flavors that's just amazing.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
yes... braising - you're friend for tough, inexpensive cuts of meat turned into tender and flavorful meat.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #46
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Low and slow always, just like my truck.

You can also use root beer, cola, or coffee when you're roasting for added flavor.

The acids in the soda will break down the tissue and give you that fork tender split that you're looking for too.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #47
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I should've clarified - there are different kinds of roasts, done different ways. For this one, I used high on the crockpot for about 4 hours - easy to go longer if you want. I sear the meat, but in reality it doesn't end up making much of a difference in this kind of recipe (per Jamie Oliver who tested it both methods, many myths in cooking, like searing seals in juices - it doesn't). This recipe is for a pot roast, that has a lot of liquid and just falls apart (mine did). The combination of merlot, beef broth, thyme (my favorite herb) and carmalized veggies it cooks in) gives it a great deal of depth and many layers of flavors that's just amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post

You can also use root beer, cola, or coffee when you're roasting for added flavor.

The acids in the soda will break down the tissue and give you that fork tender split that you're looking for too.
Okay so low and slow I guess is the key? Any idea on how many hours on slow? And do you guys turn the meat over or poke holes in it for the flavors to sink into it?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #48
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay so low and slow I guess is the key? Any idea on how many hours on slow? And do you guys turn the meat over or poke holes in it for the flavors to sink into it?
try that recipe... if that's the kind of roast you want. i used high on my crockpot, for 4 hoursish... i make carnitas that way... mmmm....

no need to poke holes in it - trying to be careful here though as there's different types of roasts. there's one's you sear and put in the over by themselves and slice. then there's ones that you put in liquid and braise, that's the one i'm discussing and is listed in that recipe link. just try it as listed (use a crockpot on high for at least 3 hours if you want instead) -

another option, is a pressure cooker, can make the same thing in well under an hour - if time is an issue. that's a different topic however...

Edit - this is the cooking method we're discussing - braising... here's a good link (it appears) about it....

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/braising.htm
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #49
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post

No doubt about that!

Kidding, but seriously, Low for about 2.5 hrs/lbs. But the key is searing your meat!!! This locks in essential juices! Beef broth or anything is good for flavor to change it up. The before mentioned recipe is your basic roast, you can add red wine to the water also for that burgundy flavor, but don't do just wine (trust me).

Also, yes, the chuck roast is great.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #50
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i read "crock pot", so i assume low/slow was happening. i mean, you cant go high/fast on a crock pot..so..

boston butt, and a BEEF chuck roast are geographically (or anatomically) the same area of both animals.

trust me, just dont go dumping things in the crock pot. do some cooking first. brown food, is good food.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #51
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, you will actually have flavors and juices sink out.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #52
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i once added a chopped apple to my slow cook wild boar roast, and it came out amazing.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #53
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No doubt about that!

Kidding, but seriously, Low for about 2.5 hrs/lbs. But the key is searing your meat!!! This locks in essential juices! Beef broth or anything is good for flavor to change it up. The before mentioned recipe is your basic roast, you can add red wine to the water also for that burgundy flavor, but don't do just wine (trust me).

Also, yes, the chuck roast is great.
fyi - when you braise, you're cooking in the juices (i mean in liquid)... nothing to lock in. and the searing part does not lock in the juices - that's an old wives tale (i used to believe it as well until I've seen it proved wrong by Alton Brown and Cooks Illustrated). The searing does create some flavor though... and to me is worth it.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #54
Lieutenant Dan.

Thanks for everyones advice! I'll probably try another chuck roast this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #56
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I made these 3 dishes over the past month or so.

1. Baked rigatoni with meatballs
2. Chicken, mushrooms and asparagus in a white cream sauce
3. Garlic shrimp pasta

I dont think any of them are my signature dishes, but they did turn out very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Foodies BS Thread.-baked_rigatoni.jpg   Foodies BS Thread.-chicken_mushroom-asparagus.jpg   Foodies BS Thread.-shrimp_pasta.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #57
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
fyi - when you braise, you're cooking in the juices (i mean in liquid)... nothing to lock in. and the searing part does not lock in the juices - that's an old wives tale (i used to believe it as well until I've seen it proved wrong by Alton Brown and Cooks Illustrated). The searing does create some flavor though... and to me is worth it.
I don't know, my personal experience of working at Outback, there was a considerable difference in seared vs. not.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #58
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
A few of my faves that I've done

Shrimp and scallop ceviche

Salmon poke

Prime rib roast

More ceviche
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #59
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I looked up the article, interesting. I've never weighed the meats to see the difference, but interesting nonetheless.

Whatever the reason, for a good roast you must sear, the flavors are definitely brought out this way.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #60
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know, my personal experience of working at Outback, there was a considerable difference in seared vs. not.
I'm talking about braised meats though... I guessing (I could be wrong) that you're probably talking about a different cooking method. And I probably should be more specific, as it was from Jamie Olivers article - it was for stews. He stated that there was no dicernable difference between stew made with seared meat and without. I still sear mine however...

Products Discussed in this Thread