1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Margarita Machine = DUI

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by TacoAviator, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    TacoAviator

TacoAviator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    K&N 77 Series Intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Borla Cat-Back, URD MAF Unit, Anzio black headlights, FABTECH 3'' Lift Kit, Halo Rims w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Westin Nerf Bars and Bull Grill, Grille Craft Grille, WetherTech Wind deflectors, Custom Cup Holder
    I was parked at a softball game last weekend enjoying my time when a cop came up to me and told me that I could get a DUI for making margaritas(using the outlet in the bed of my Tacoma). The truck was running and music playing. I told him I wasn't driving just drinking. I guess you cant be in/on/around your truck while drinking or you can get a DUI. My Designated Driver was in the softball game and I had about 10 people around me wanting to try out my awesome Avacodo Margaritas so he let it slide. Almost a bad day, but turned out great. Here's the recipe:

* 2 cups crushed ice
    * 6 fluid ounces tequila
    * 4 fluid ounces lime juice
    * 2 fluid ounces triple sec
    * 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
    * 1 sprig fresh cilantro
    * coarse salt to taste
    Place the ice, tequila, lime juice, triple sec, avocado, and cilantro into a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into salt-rimmed margarita glasses to serve

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    Glad it turned out to be a good day.
    The Margarita recipe sounds interesting. I see the Tequila is one of the main ingredients considering it 6 oz vs 4 oz of lime juice.

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    I think it's within 50ft of your vehicle, under the influence....intent to drive!! DUIs, so much fun, everyone should get one!!! :)

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    K&N 77 Series Intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Borla Cat-Back, URD MAF Unit, Anzio black headlights, FABTECH 3'' Lift Kit, Halo Rims w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Westin Nerf Bars and Bull Grill, Grille Craft Grille, WetherTech Wind deflectors, Custom Cup Holder
    HAHA, it works. the crushed iced, triple sec, and lime juice takes it all away. The blended avocado helps too. Its not bad.

5. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Hmmm....I know that having a CDL (Commercial Driver's License) which I do can get you in the somewhat same situation. The possible DUI part, not playing "Cocktail" in the parking lot part. I've talked at length with a couple of state truck cop buddies of mine and it's a fine line on this scenerio. A truck driver could be at a bar (think sleeper truck) has no intention of driving, just wants to jump on in, climb in back and grab a night's sleep. He/she could be cited for DUI because they had keys in hand and entered the vehicle. Both of them said if they witnessed this they would rather keep an eye on the truck with an occasional drive by to make sure it was still there than to harass the driver. There have been "Barney Fife" types that haul you away when you reach in your pocket for the keys.

The limit for being deemed legally drunk is .08 nationally, if you have a valid CDL it's .06. Personal vehicle or not.

6. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    They don't play anymore with drunks. I had no intentions of driving but at the same time I totally understand where he was coming from. I guess he just wanted to know the situation before he gave me a DUI. He was pretty cool about it and that wasn't the last time he stopped by to make sure I still had a driver and talk about my taco. Good cop, great guy.

7. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    Did you offer him up a "virgin" version of your concoction?

8. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    That sounds nasty, but i don't drink so only you would know.

9. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    In CA the key can't be in the ignition but you can be in the vehicle.

10. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    This crap annoys me like you wouldn't believe. Years ago I was given 3 DUI-related tickets for being drunk at a campground because my keys were in my pocket. Fought it in court and ended up getting "probation before judgement", which meant that if I didn't screw up for the 15 months of probation it'd be wiped from my record, which it was.

Cost me thousands. Worst camping trip ever.

I want a margarita.

11. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I believe it's keys in the ignition in California. I don't drink hardly at all, so it's a non issue for me, but I have heard stories of people sitting in their driver's seat with the radio playing and getting popped for DUI.

12. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    One of my buddies got a DUI for sleeping in his truck. There was no intention to drive, we had a party and he didn't want to pull his car back into the field so he parked well off the shoulder of the road but I guess close enough to where the cop still had juristiction. Cop had to bang on his windows to wake him up, breathalize him and give him a ticket. Freakin ridiculous...

13. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    One of the biggest money making offenses for the states....if you see how many people get paid from your DUI its insane!

Note: There is two parts to the DUI

The situation becomes much more intense when you actually hit and kill someone, whether it's your fault or that stupid sober driver who made a sudden lane change...now it's manslaughter, have fun!

Item (b) is when the DMV gets involved, and takes your license....insurance goes up etc.

14. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    you can get a dui if your drunk with your keys in your pocket sitting on a lawn chair in your garage with your truck in sight. because you have the INTENT to drive. learned this in traffic survival school lol

15. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    That is ridiculous. A buddy of mine tossed his keys to a bystander a few weekends ago to avoid getting charged with that- he was put in handcuffs and the guy who caught his keys (whom he didn't even know) walked up and said that they'd been stationed in Iraq together and that he was a great guy- the cops let him go with a warning. Hilarious.

16. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    yeah i've heard all of this BS before... if you need to sleep it off in your truck i'd throw my keys in one of the compartments in the bed, i think as long as you don't have them on you or in the cab they can't nab you. same for car- put them in the trunk.

as for the Margareta machine thing, maybe lock yourself with handcuffs or a chain to the back of the truck so you can't get in the cab- then give your DD the key to the lock... that should disprove their "intent to drive" BS :D

17. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    I'm all for keeping drunks off the road and people safe. But this shit has got out of hand.

I don't think law enforcement should be going out of their way to manipulate the laws and "gray areas" so they can charge you for something.

What was supposed to be safety has turned into a revenue stream and pats on the back. The DOT and CDL program has gotten out of hand too but that's a whole other thread/rant.

18. Jun 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Once again we see a law with good intentions go bad because the law can't handle shades of grey ... mostly thanks to overzealous lawyers.

19. Jun 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Mskwared

Mskwared Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can get a DUI riding a bike too cant you?

20. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    TicTacOma

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    Boat, bike, lawn tractor. There would be no YouTube without dash-cam videos of common folk and their"transportation" to and fro the watering hole for refreshments. Lawn tractor it up and you'll find out.

Products Discussed in

To Top