Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Metal in microwave help!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Metal in microwave help!!!

I hope this is the right section for this question. Today my wife decided to microwave a jar of peanut butter that, unknown to her, still had some of the foil left on the top of the plastic jar. Well, it started to spark and melted the jar and started a small fire in the microwave. Of course she didn't think to open the door of the microwave to stop the 30 second cylce, instead she took the kids and ran outside cause she thought the house was gonna burn down. I was out picking up our dinner at the time. I've cleaned out all the burned stuff and scrubbed the sides, top and bottom of the inside of the microwave as well as the tray. But it still makes the crackling sparky noise when you turn it on. Anybody know how to clean it out? Will I need to remove the whole microwave (over the stove kind) open it up and clean? Or am I screwed and have to get a new microwave? Open to all suggestions.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would recommend a new one.
I concur shit can the old and get a new one.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
X3. Cheap and safe peace of mind.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The new microwave is cheaper than a new wife...
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Get a new one...

We messed with an old one in college, put silverware in there, a can of soda, just to see what it'd do. They spark a lot but otherwise pretty uneventful
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
i've always wanted to see that, you she should have video taped it. (:
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
time to take that old microwave out to the range (:
Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Some one say Tannerite?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
Get a new one and then take the od one outside for some fun, and video tape it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
It was a while ago, not everyone had video cameras on their phones so unfortunately we didn't get it on video. Find an old junker microwave on craigslist, run an extension cord well away from the house, stand back and enjoy the fireworks!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes I just throw foil in the microwave just to watch the lightning show.........in other people's microwaves.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
if the metals gone it shouldn't ark or spark
so replace it
before ya do nuke a cd or dvd in it
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! I was kind of thinking the same thing but just hoped someone would have repair experience or advice. The crappy part is we just bought a this microwave less thank 1 year ago. Funny story behind that too.... We left an empty pizza box on top of the stove (dumbass) and my dog tried to get it down and in the process turned on the stove (gas) which set the box on fire and burned the underside of the microwave and melted the casing and caused an internal short. So basically now within 1 year I will have had to buy 2 microwaves. These over-the-stove microwaves aren't cheap either
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!!! I was kind of thinking the same thing but just hoped someone would have repair experience or advice. The crappy part is we just bought a this microwave less thank 1 year ago. Funny story behind that too.... We left an empty pizza box on top of the stove (dumbass) and my dog tried to get it down and in the process turned on the stove (gas) which set the box on fire and burned the underside of the microwave and melted the casing and caused an internal short. So basically now within 1 year I will have had to buy 2 microwaves. These over-the-stove microwaves aren't cheap either
Not sure what your tastes in appliances are- but I picked up my hanging nuke box a model year late on closeout for like 150'ish. Not cheap cheap-but better than brand new models.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Not sure what your tastes in appliances are- but I picked up my hanging nuke box a model year late on closeout for like 150'ish. Not cheap cheap-but better than brand new models.
I'll have to see what I can find like that. I would really like to get the same type seeing as installation will be easier since all the hardware is already mounted and stuff.....

It's a GE. Where did you get yours at? Best Buy?

edit: Happy Birthday btw!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #17
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
There is an easy way to test the microwave and see if it's still safe.

Put a cellphone in the microwave, close the door (don't turn the microwave on OBVIOUSLY) and call it with another phone.

If the cellphone rings inside the microwave with the door closed, your microwave leaks.

True story.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like you've been convinced to get another one, but in my mind if it works it works. my cheap ass wouldn't buy a new one till this one quit working. a metal coffee thermos got heated in the one at my parents house a few months ago (yes my sister is an idiot) and we just cleaned it out and it works fine, and it's 20 years old. . . . if it was a stove or something i would wholeheartedly agree to get a new one since you don't stand beside a stove and watch it cook, but a microwave isn't likely to burn your house down since your usually not far from it when using it and would know when something went wrong. . . but thats just my two cents.

and about getting other ones, ask around and go on craigslist. tons of people have old microwaves that work sitting in the garage. that cheap suggestion also doesn't consider "the look" of your kitchen of course. good luck either way.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
it sounds like you've been convinced to get another one, but in my mind if it works it works. my cheap ass wouldn't buy a new one till this one quit working. a metal coffee thermos got heated in the one at my parents house a few months ago (yes my sister is an idiot) and we just cleaned it out and it works fine, and it's 20 years old. . . . if it was a stove or something i would wholeheartedly agree to get a new one since you don't stand beside a stove and watch it cook, but a microwave isn't likely to burn your house down since your usually not far from it when using it and would know when something went wrong. . . but thats just my two cents.

and about getting other ones, ask around and go on craigslist. tons of people have old microwaves that work sitting in the garage. that cheap suggestion also doesn't consider "the look" of your kitchen of course. good luck either way.
I haven't really decided. I'm like you in the cheap ass thing. My wife wants to buy a new one just for peace of mind, but I don't really feel like spending more money on a new one when this one works just fine now.

The crackling noise has stopped. When I tried it this morning to heat my coffee it was fine. We've even used it tonight to help cook some dinner. So at this point I probably just keep using it unless I find one at the right price.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #20
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I'll have to see what I can find like that. I would really like to get the same type seeing as installation will be easier since all the hardware is already mounted and stuff.....

It's a GE. Where did you get yours at? Best Buy?

edit: Happy Birthday btw!!!!
Thanks man.

I got a GE Profile (gotta get the wife to decide what kind of stove she wants to be chained to and the "upgrades" will be complete. It was at Lowe's...Looked at the model on the floor and the sales guy was like..."Gimmie a second" and pops open a box that looked damn similar and tells us it's 100 bones less. I was like "DEAL!!!!!"