1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I Had A Major Throwdown With The Wife Over My Son's Diet

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by asphaltpilot, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    They probably scarfed up that salt-cured pork fat, corn meal and dried beans and happily lived to the ripe old age of 45, which was great for their times.

:D:D

My point is in general very healthy foods don't taste nearly as good as the non healthy to most people. And when you are two the field of options for relatively healthy things they can stand to eat is way smaller. And don't believe for a minute they are not influenced by TV, and advertisements and what all they see around them. They already know there are many, many choices available, not just a couple. If they've never seen anything but rice and beans yes they will learn how to eat that somehow. Today is totally different. You have to be firm about what they are allowed to have for meals but also reasonable.

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    DumpTruckTacoma

DumpTruckTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Off Road
    1. As you can see your kid wont starve to death.
    2. It sucks having to deal with little fights like this, but if they could make educated decisions on their own they would be adults, not infants, toddlers, kids.
    3. It sucks having both parents work. You're both tired at the end of the day and dealing with a fighting kid sucks, but you both (in theory) chose to have the kid and choosing the easiest way out isnt always the best answer.

I have 2 kids 3 and 5, and both my wife and I are active duty. Some days royaly suck to deal with the small fries, but we've both agreed no matter how bad the fight is with the kids they both have to eat good quality dinners before they get any sort of treat. We've had some good fights with the 3yo about it, but inevitably it sinks in that shes not getting anything extra till she eats a quality dinner.

3. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Ha, thats about the time ours started getting pickier!

But OP, you are right, stick to your guns, the food you put in front of them is what they eat.

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    DumpTruckTacoma

DumpTruckTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Seasoning, Seasoning, Seasoning. If you season it right, they will eat it... and that doesnt mean load butter, mayo, or some other fattening substance into it. Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Garlic, Basil, Lemon, etc... These are your friends against crappy tasting healthy food!

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Although you may be right insisting a healthy diet is in your child's best interest your partly responsible for introducing these foods to him in the first place so own up to correcting the issue with positive results. Ending up not speaking to your wife over the sudden enforcement of eating disciplines for your two year old is moronic at best. First fix the problems between you and your wife and then work together to raise your child in a healthy environment.

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    I have two daughters and we feed them what we eat. We are not short order cooks. What we make is what is for dinner if you don't like it don't eat and be hungry.

It won't take long my friend they will eat things most kids would not touch. My girls are now 10 and 8 and they don't like the kids menu at all. The prefer to share an adult entree when we are out.

They don't ask to go to Mc Donalds, they would rather go to a small restaurant and get something better.

Don't back down!!!!

7. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Mescalero

Mescalero Beretta Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD PRO Mag Gray
    even if dude doesnt get fat, itll be hard to get him to eat real food. my cousin started out that way, living on fast food meals. he didnt start eating real food until college cause all he knew was hamburger. he's not fat, but missed a hell of a lot of basics like mac and cheese growing up.

8. Jun 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My neighbor has too young sons, one is about 14 the other maybe 10. They are both fat asses. I cannot say anything about what they eat because I really don't know but their excercise habits are terrible. They both are XBox junkies and I hardly see them out of the house. The oldest one looks like a drone walking up the hill when he gets off the school bus.

9. Jun 9, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    stick to your guns brother. my BS opinion is that there are too many children who are too overweight and inactive. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a fat kid who knows nothing of the world outside xbox. Some of the stuff your son is intaking now will affect him down the road. I am not advocating going surper healthy onthe child, I have my vices when it comes to food, but like everything else in life, balance and moderation are key. Food Inc (movie) or the Omnivores dilema (book) are good starting points to educate on whats out there and what the potential risks are. Hope it works itself out.

10. Jun 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    But I am not buying the popular misconception that everything from McDs, Wendy's is bad for you and the food at more expensive places are healthier.

There is very little served at any restaurant that would be considered very heatlthy by the heart or diabetes association standards. And there is very little, outside of the produce section, in most grocery stores either. So where do you draw the line?

Products Discussed in

To Top