1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I Had A Major Throwdown With The Wife Over My Son's Diet

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by asphaltpilot, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot [OP] CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    My wife and I have been at odds for a couple months now regarding his eating habits. My son will be two in October. As of late he only eats crap food. His main staples are nuggets with ranch, fries with ranch, goldfish, pretzels, poptarts, and waffles or multi-grain cheerios in the morning. He does like juice and milk, thankfully.

Last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. After refusing to eat some dinner the wife broke out the goldfish and I blew my top. Tactful, yet very heated exchanges ensued (arguing in anger in front of our son is not an option) and we haven't spoken to each other since.

My wife's philosophy is that this is just a phase and getting him to eat anything is better than nothing. She also states that he is learning independence through being picky and most kids go through this phase.

To me, this is unacceptable. My philosophy is that we are enabling our son to choose what to eat. We are also teaching him that by refusing something long enough he will eventually get his way. If he gets hungry enough, he'll eat it. I say don't give him an option unless that other option has some nutritional value. Also, our son learning his independence is great, but not when it comes to nutrition. Sorry, the dinner table is not a democracy. Also, I grew up in poor home and I want him to eat better than I did, so I'm pretty anal about it.

Any of you go though this drama? WTF. Am I going overboard?

2. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I think you are in the right... My cousin's mother is the exact same way. He is now 12 and is the size of about an 8 year old. Still eats absolutely shitty. Do not let her win this battle as you will both regret it later

3. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    No you are not going overboard at all, you are only concerned about his well being.

If she wants him to have independence through choosing, put better options in front of him.

Fresh fruit chunks, veggie cut up with dip (he likes the ranch, right?) whole grain crackers. These are all good snacks that not only can he help choose but if she includes him in on the preparation, "How big do you want me to cut it? Do you want me to cut here or here?" "Do you want the melon cut in squares or triangles?" He may show more enthusiasm for eating what he may feel are his own creations.

I used to take the fruit pieces and make a cute face on the plate. He can eat the nose or the ear then try to make another face of what is left over. From that he can eat eyes and start again or perhaps make a boat or car with it. It works well with vegetables too. They like to see what they can make and it's something fun to do.

In terms of breakfast or lunch, giving him three options - for example, "Which cereal do you want this morning?" gives him some 'power' in his decision making.

If he chooses none, put them away and be done. He will eventually get hungry and ask again. At that point, pull out the three options and I betcha he will chose one. ;)

4. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My opinion-Yes. None of the things he is eating are so horrible that he's going to obese or anything.
    Right now-He's so young that reason doesn't work. While you are right that EVENTUALLY he will eat, do you REALLY want him to eat NOTHING in the mean time??

My 2 year old is a champ and likes fruits-So we keep a TON in the house. He also wants what we have-So we eat a fair bit of fruits and veggies too.

Maybe there is an in between-Give him a small amount of what he will eat and some of the "regular" meal-See what happens. There is no one answer to it. Gotta do what works.

The other issue I have is that you and your wife aren't speaking over the whole thing. That doesn't get anywhere....

5. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    No, you are not going overboard and agree with you 100%.

Fortunately, the wife and I are in agreement on mostn major issues and differ only on a few minor points.

In the end, we are to raise children in the ways they should go. Psychologically, your child is training mom.

6. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I agree with you 100%

Although I don't have any kids of my own, I will do the same when I do have kids.

My parents made me eat what was on the table and if I didn't want it then I didn't eat. We didn't have a lot of junk food around the house which was surprising because my dad worked for Nabisco. My parents did a good job at making sure we got well rounded meals and kept a variety.

I love all kinds of food now and appreciate variety and I don't eat a lot of junk food.

I see so many kids who's parents caved and let them eat whatever the wanted or made them a seperate meal because they pitched a fit and it pisses me off. A good friend of mine is a great example of this. He eats like absolute shit and is the pickiest person I know and I know it's because he was (still is) a mamma's boy and got his way. His diet consists of junk food and crap. He eats the most bland stuff and when we go out to eat he usually orders a plain hamburger with just ketchup on it. There are so many great restuarants around here with great food and he refuses to eat at them because he says he doesn't like the food but yet he raves about how great the food is at this bar next to his house, which IMO sucks and their food is totally bland and its just shitty bar food.

7. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    BMiller421

BMiller421 FMLYHM

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre-runner
    LT, Kings, Fabricated Trucks Worldwide For The Win, K&N and Doug Thorley LT Headers
    Im going thru same shit with my wife too..

Her argument is that she knows best because she is his mother..well guess what..i am his father and i know what he needs to be eating as well as anybody..

Put your foot down..she needs to respect your decisions just as your child will yours in the years to come..

Kids understand roles peolpe play..they identify you by that role (mommy, daddy)..so you need to establish a firm standing now..that way you dont end up with a five year old throwing french fries at Applebees..(like my wifes sister..)

8. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    zomg

zomg Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    TRD CAI, Ultra-Gauge, All Weather Floor Mats, Rear Spring TSB, Avid Offroad Sliders, Spidertrax, Dynomax Superturbo, Bolt-on Grille
    My 2 yr old loves his nuggets & will ask for them specifically when he wants them for lunch or dinner. He also loves his vegetables whether it is corn, peas, broccoli, green beens, etc. He is in the 97 percentile for height & weight + he's rockin' an 8-pack.

In other words, he will eat whatever you put infront of him if he is hungry enough, but will also ask (demand) for what he wants now that he is 2.

9. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    You are exactly right to not want him to eat that crap. It's full of bad things for you, and lacks good nutritional value. In addition, it creates an addiction for this type of processed foods. I agree with you. I would never feed my kid that stuff at all. They don't acquire a taste for it then. Who's the parent here? The kid or you?

In addition, this is an important time in their life when they're developing physically. Providing them the proper nutrients is important. It makes me nuts seeing the parents of today letting their kids dictate too much to the parents.

10. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    "You got any ranch for those nuggets?"

[​IMG]

Ok, got that out of my system. :) I'm not a parent so my opinion is immediately null and void, but I'd think that kids should be eating at least the basics during their formative years. The bones and muscles are still developing and they'll need the right nutrients.

That said, I've seen arguments involving 2 year olds and would do my best to avoid them. It's a tough spot you're in.

How different are you and your wife in terms of level of activity and fitness?

11. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Im on your side on this one, your wife is teaching your son that your word is not absolute. You can probably tell im pro spanking (spanking not beating).

12. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    stand firm. I ate veggies and fruit as a kid and if I didn't want to, I went hungry. I never drank soda and candy was a holiday/birthday treat.

Set the example as well. I honestly wouldn't even keep it in the house if you were worried about your kid getting into it. There's no reason mom or dad should munch on soda and chips if you wanted to be setting a good example for Junior.

13. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot [OP] CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    That's the funny thing. The wife eats a healthy diet, better than me sometimes, and she puts more effort into her fitness than I do.

The kid in that picture bleeds mayonnaise, no doubt.

14. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Bones2Blood002

Bones2Blood002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    10 Offroad on the build
    Sliders, Old man emu lift with aal in the rear, tc uca, relentless front and rear bumpers, ato skid plates
    Let me first say that you r the parent and have every right to be concerned for your child. If you are really concerned about what your child is eating talk to your pediatrician or if you really want find a registered dietian who can help delvelop something else for your child to eat. More importantly your kids need a stable house with mom and dad happy. Try to talk to your wife and find a middle ground. Good Luck.

15. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I also do not have kids of my own but I can't tell you how many times I ended sitting at the table until I finished the meal my parents made for me. While I agree with Brunes, nothing he's eating is overly horrible, I say nip it in the butt now before it gets out of hand. Oh, and independence my ass, he's 2, you're the parent, he's the child, there are no options at that age.

16. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Not what I expected at all. I'm stumped.

:laugh:

17. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Mine just turned 3 on Friday... luckily he's not a very picky eater.
    We do allow him to have some junk food, but it's definately not the foundation of his diet. If he is eating on his own we'll usually do something quick like nuggets or fish sticks, but most of the time we all eat together, so he eats what we eat, or not at all.

One thing I did run into with my wife was her concern when he would go several days without eating much at all. Little ones go through spurts, eating tons at times and not much at all at others. I think she felt guilty somehow when he wasn't eating so she would try to give him the sweet stuff to get him to eat. Finally convinced her that he'll eat when he's hungry... sure enough, he does.

18. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    My girlfriend's niece is a freaking stinker when it comes to picky eating. Her mom is tough and does her best to get healthy stuff in her. If she won't eat it, she lets her out of her booster seat and most of the time she gives it up because she is hungry. So back in the booster seat you go, healthy food eaten and then something like half a granola bar or something for a dessert/reward.

You didn't go overboard. Healthy eating habits are one of the most important things a child can learn early.

19. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    You're in the right. Feed the kid right and it'll be a life long blessing.

My 19 month old just finished feeding herself oatmeal. She friggin' loves it.

20. Jun 6, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    This^

While it may seem weird to think of dogs and kids in the same realm of "training." The kid isn't going to die from a grumbling belly for a short time. Just like your dog isn't going to die while you're training him to eat when food is put out, otherwise it goes away.

Products Discussed in

To Top