LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Buying new grill, have some ?'s...

Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
whatever you do, AVOID the charbroil ... I have a Charbroil commercial Stainless that came with a "lifetime warranty", and this thing is the biggest POS ever. The firebox is literally rusting, and flaking to pieces. This is supposed to be the heart of the grill and its constructed of crap. The tubes that carry the gas, again, rusting and falling apart. When I tried to use the warranty they said I needed my original receipt.
I tried to explain that "if its a lifetime warranty, who cares when its made .. its under warranty forever". They didnt care. My next grill will be a Webber ... they are worth the $
Great... just bought a stainless steel Char Broil a few weeks ago
Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
13tacotrd is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircrew Survival Equipmentment, Petty Officer 2nd Class
13tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a Weber gas grill, brand new for 96 bucks at home depot... someone had stolen some parts off it so they were selling it really cheap. Turns out they just stole the gas regulator, so i went to lowes and bought one. Total investment 136.00 ... normal cost of same grill 399.99
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It will last you if you follow proper maintenance procedures. I have the same grill the other two posters have except mine is the "infrared". I bought it two years ago, and till this day, it looks like new. I cook the hell out of it and use it more than my kitchen stove in the winter for "breakfast and a movie" in the patio. The people that I have heard complain about it, later confess they don't clean it after they are done cooking, or they dont have a good quality cover for it. I grill, rotessiere, broil, fry, bbq, you name it, I have done it; it has never failed me!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My stainless steel lid is fine (except the built in thermometer reads 200 degrees too high) and it will probably last 30 years or more. It's the rest of the grill that is pure crap compared to the older Charbroils with the cast aluminum fire box. I have one of those too and the box is still usable after 20 years.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a weber genesis a month ago and its the best $800 I spent on anything. Will last forever and its the best even burning grill ive owned. Had it for about 30 days...used it 20 times...and saving money by not ordering in as much.
Wifey hasn't figured out yet that I've been grilling foods that "get her in the mood".
Best $800 I tell ya.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Been so hot I use mine all the time. Just tonight baked some beets and yams. Then corn. I finished with a ribeye. Too warm to turn anything on in the kitchen.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #28
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
the new webers > the old webers.

the new ones have burners running in this orientation.."l l l"
and the old ones are ___
___
___

way more room for indirect heat cooking on the new ones..bastard weber designers waited until i bought one to change.

actually after discussing with a few people a while back, I won't be buying a weber because of the change. I can't remember why now - it was something about the quality change and the fact that the new grills don't get nearly as hot. most people I know are very disappointed in the new design and will be looking elsewhere for their grills.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bought one a few years ago... just gave it a way. complete POS. but it works... . so don't sweat it.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #30
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgutie35 View Post
It will last you if you follow proper maintenance procedures. I have the same grill the other two posters have except mine is the "infrared". I bought it two years ago, and till this day, it looks like new. I cook the hell out of it and use it more than my kitchen stove in the winter for "breakfast and a movie" in the patio. The people that I have heard complain about it, later confess they don't clean it after they are done cooking, or they dont have a good quality cover for it. I grill, rotessiere, broil, fry, bbq, you name it, I have done it; it has never failed me!
I store mine in the garage so it is out of the weather. I clean the cook top every time I use it but don't clean out the firebox but a couple times a year. Oh well, it's bought and paid for, I'll use it 'til she burns out
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #31
Hailstate!
chart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force:
Name: Cody
chart92's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a Brinkman about 3 weeks ago for $130 originally $190 (it had a tiny scratch on the handle so I asked Home Depot if they'd take some $ off.) It isnt the one I wanted but I didnt buy it. The in laws did so I'm not complaining, and it does very well. Everything I have cooked hasn't turned out super dry like the old grill.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
asuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to behold
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdburglar View Post
Like the title says, I'm in the market for a new gas grill. I've read lots of reviews and it seems like Weber makes good ones. Does anyone have experience with one? Also what is more durable over time - porcelain coated-whatever, or stainless steel? Many of the online review for various grills mention rust problems with cheap SS, so that's why I ask.
I have the Weber Spirit E-310 and I love it. Picked it up at home depot for $100 assembled. Regular price $499. Keep your eye open for Home Depot clearance.

The grill is great and the grates are cast iron and easy to clean. My unit had a couple of cracks in the plastic and missing igniter cap. Called weber and they fedex new parts immediatly (next day shipping) at their cost.

You cannot go wrong with a Weber.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
asuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to beholdasuchemist is a splendid one to behold
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
actually after discussing with a few people a while back, I won't be buying a weber because of the change. I can't remember why now - it was something about the quality change and the fact that the new grills don't get nearly as hot. most people I know are very disappointed in the new design and will be looking elsewhere for their grills.

My weber gets very hot fast. Not sure who is telling you this. I get very even cooking on the grill. Seems every spot is a good spot.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #34
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I love both my Webers!! King Weber Gold (lump coal smoker) and a Genesis! Great grills. I suggest a Genesis with infrared. Makes a big difference. Works great with a rotisserie.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuchemist View Post
My weber gets very hot fast. Not sure who is telling you this. I get very even cooking on the grill. Seems every spot is a good spot.
i'm talking top end heat - my last grill had true infrared grills (from tec) - and got way above what a standard grill can get (I say that because I was able to do a proper pizza in it). I've been told the older design of the weber was able to get pretty hot, but the new version doesn't get as hot. I've gone back to charcoal until I can find a grill I like.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
Tacorriendo has a spectacular aura aboutTacorriendo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Fred
Tacorriendo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I store mine in the garage so it is out of the weather. I clean the cook top every time I use it but don't clean out the firebox but a couple times a year. Oh well, it's bought and paid for, I'll use it 'til she burns out
I use pork lard to dress the grate, the IR tray, and the burners before storage. this ensures it does not rust. the burner covers and firebox are made of ceramic enamel, so those get wiped with orange oil very easily and stay like new.