1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooking Hogs

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Brunes, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    it is beer can chicken ! 13 3.25 lb whole fryer chickens. i used MGD Lemonade (some lemon bullshit "beer") to give it a citrus flavor, basted with a balsamic sauce. beer can chicken is the shit.

Total there was 13 chickens, 48 lb hog, 10 lbs broccoli rabe sausage, 10 lbs rope kielbasa, and 25 lbs of beef brisket . made a traditional bbq and a Carolina style as well. along with some cold dishes, fed 60 people easy.

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :drool:

I'm still learning some new recipes and cooking techniques for backyard bbq, easily my favorite part of summer! I think my next addition to the back yard will be a smoker.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I've pondered trying to gin up a burner system-Some pipe and the regulator to run on the bottom of the pit and then cover it with chips or whatever....but I don't think I have that kind of time.

I'll have to get the blocks soon and figure out the rest of it...

4. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Today is this pigs big day: [​IMG]

On here:
    [​IMG] (That's about a 1/3rd cord of hickory)

5. Aug 6, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    8am here and I'm now starving. I like the hickory pit idea

6. Aug 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    alright so where's the next meet?

7. Aug 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Toby

Toby Servant of Ninkasi

Member:
    Prairieville, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Off Road 4x4
    None yet.
    Pig of milk is the literal translation, i.e. suckling pig (pig that hasn't weaned yet). Usually roasted like this on an open spit or barbecue pit, as opposed to a boucherie which uses almost all of a larger pig. The bulk of the meat is roasted in an underground pit, with almost everything that's removed getting used in some way (gratons/cracklins, hoghead cheese, pickling the feet, etc.).

8. Aug 6, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    no stuffing?????? thats just wrong! we always dice apples, onions, potatos, celery, zucchini and par boil it all together. tear potato bread into small pieces and spread it out on a table. drain the water off the veggies n dump em on the bread. drizzle the butter over it. mix it all together while sprinkling lowrys seasoned salt til its mixed well. stuff it in and sew the pig up with some twine and throw it on the cooker! its ohhhhhhh so good

9. Aug 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    If it was IN a cooker I might think about that...but it's on a spit. Cooks faster cracked open this way.

[​IMG]

GAME ON!!!!!!!

10. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    PAlittlematty

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    That's not a bad setup ya have there. Looks like it'll work pretty well. The stuffing recipe is preety badass. We usually eat handfulls while were mixin it. Just to make sure it tastes right of course

11. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...We'll see what happens. The temp was a little harder to control than anticipated...so the skin got away from me a bit- but it'll still be tasty....

12. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    PAlittlematty

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    The last 2 hogs we cooked we let em catch fire intentionally. Kept all the juices in and still tasted incredible

13. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ehh...Thought about it- but this was more fun. Plus I know how to set up all up now for next time.
    Ideally- some friends who come out and help cook make this a WAY better experience.

Plu-The whif will be doing the cleaning- It is HER party afterall....

14. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    never had rosted hog like that, but it looks delish. def wanna try it some day.

15. Aug 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    This recipe worked GREAT. I used less water for the brine but added lots of ice cause it was in a cooler and I added some beers- Cause what doesn't get better when you add beer.
    I added some parsley to the dry rub to ground the flavors of the thyme and rosemary and add a little color.
    Took about 5 and 1/2 hours to cook it up...and it was FUGGIN DELISH!!!

Many many compliments for your flavors man!!

16. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    Toby

Toby Servant of Ninkasi

Member:
    Prairieville, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Off Road 4x4
    None yet.
    Half the fun of this kind of thing is the cooking. We did a cochon de lait for our company party last year, and started cooking (and drinking) around 7am. Everyone usually helps.

17. Aug 7, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    Nice Brunes! glad everything worked... once the set up it taken care of, well the rest kind of takes care of itself. And agreed, definitely more fun to do it yourself. Roasting a pig is definitely a great addition to any get-together. And what a true statement.....-------what doesn't get better when you add beer.

Products Discussed in

To Top