Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Cooking Hogs

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Cooking Hogs

So my wife is planning a party for her recent promotion (a wetting down for those who know what that is) and she wants to roast/grill/whatever a hog.

So-Learn me about hog cooking. How much piggy do we need to buy (somewhere between 50-60 people)?? Recipes for spices/marinades?? Pits or other cooking styles?

I'm open to any suggestions-so throw them out there!!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Toughtaco got it. roughly 1 lb per person. a 50-65 lb pig ( that is gutted and head on typically) will not yeild 50-65 lbs meat after cooking. i'm not positive how much it will yield but should be sufficient considering that is not the only food there.

I cooked one last summer and am doing it again 2 weeks from now. used a big slow roaster, like a 55 gal cut in half with a rack in it..... worked great if you can get ahold of it.

as far as a good recipe, heres mine.

brine the whole hog in a large cooler the day before (65 lb hog is about 3 1/2 -4 ft long)
5 gal apple juice
5 gal water
5 gal apple cider vinegar
chopped onions
crushed garlic
black pepper
cloves
kosher salt

mix it up well and put the pig in. rotate the pig in a few hours and let sit overnight (refrigerated or throw enough ice in the cooler to keep cold and safe)

made a wet rub also as well as a spray

wet rub is to be slathered on hog before cooking. cut slits in the skin and rub it up in there and all over that oinker

orange juice, mustard (grain is possible), rosemary, thyme, garlic, mix well, dont want it to be soupy so start with a little oj and add as necessary

Get a spray bottle and fill with 1/2 apple juice, 1/4 cider vin, and 1/4 white wine, mixed to spray on pig while cooking

ok, to cook.... like i said, you need a grill or roaster big enough to fit it in there. mine was propane powered with a wood chip rack for some added flavor

cooked the whole thing at 220 F, never messed with the temp

started with the skin side down (touching rack) and went for 1 1/2 hrs, then flipped it and went for 7 1/2 more hours, every half hour or hour give it a spray. so cooking about 9 hours total at 220 F.

Hope this helped

and remember the cheek meat is the best part, seriously !
Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
any chinese or phillipino joints in your area? you can get a whole roasted pig, cheaper than DIY. at least in my area..
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
ahh the old cochon de lait!

Not sure about cooking it, but make sure you get an apple for the mouth!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
Toughtaco got it. roughly 1 lb per person. a 50-65 lb pig ( that is gutted and head on typically) will not yeild 50-65 lbs meat after cooking. i'm not positive how much it will yield but should be sufficient considering that is not the only food there.

I cooked one last summer and am doing it again 2 weeks from now. used a big slow roaster, like a 55 gal cut in half with a rack in it..... worked great if you can get ahold of it.

as far as a good recipe, heres mine.

brine the whole hog in a large cooler the day before (65 lb hog is about 3 1/2 -4 ft long)
5 gal apple juice
5 gal water
5 gal apple cider vinegar
chopped onions
crushed garlic
black pepper
cloves
kosher salt

mix it up well and put the pig in. rotate the pig in a few hours and let sit overnight (refrigerated or throw enough ice in the cooler to keep cold and safe)

made a wet rub also as well as a spray

wet rub is to be slathered on hog before cooking. cut slits in the skin and rub it up in there and all over that oinker

orange juice, mustard (grain is possible), rosemary, thyme, garlic, mix well, dont want it to be soupy so start with a little oj and add as necessary

Get a spray bottle and fill with 1/2 apple juice, 1/4 cider vin, and 1/4 white wine, mixed to spray on pig while cooking

ok, to cook.... like i said, you need a grill or roaster big enough to fit it in there. mine was propane powered with a wood chip rack for some added flavor

cooked the whole thing at 220 F, never messed with the temp

started with the skin side down (touching rack) and went for 1 1/2 hrs, then flipped it and went for 7 1/2 more hours, every half hour or hour give it a spray. so cooking about 9 hours total at 220 F.

Hope this helped

and remember the cheek meat is the best part, seriously !
That was a great primer all the way around..Thanks!!

One question-The roaster...Covered or uncovered?? I'm thinking about building a fire pit in the back yard anyways...and I'm wondering if that'll cover it. I don't mind cooking over coals...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Dilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (AW)
Dilley's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to the butcher and buy a whole hog and have them butterfly in for you and it will cook a lot faster and more evenly. 80 pound live hog will give you about 35 to 40 pounds of meat when cooked.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
That was a great primer all the way around..Thanks!!

One question-The roaster...Covered or uncovered?? I'm thinking about building a fire pit in the back yard anyways...and I'm wondering if that'll cover it. I don't mind cooking over coals...

I did covered just because its easier to monitor the temp, and keeps the heat somewhat consistent all the way around, kind of like roasting.

And yes, hogs are usually butterflied when purchased cleaned.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley View Post
You can go to the butcher and buy a whole hog and have them butterfly in for you and it will cook a lot faster and more evenly. 80 pound live hog will give you about 35 to 40 pounds of meat when cooked.

For the love of god, brunes- don't cook the pig alive. That's just cruel.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
any chinese or phillipino joints in your area? you can get a whole roasted pig, cheaper than DIY. at least in my area..
Lechon Baboy. Mmmmmm...............

Dinuguan... eat at your own risk.

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/filipino-...rk-blood-stew/
Pork Dinuguan (also called dinardaraan in Ilocano, or pork blood stew in English) is a Filipino savory stew of blood and meat simmered in a rich, spicy gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili and vinegar.

The term dinuguan comes from the word dugo meaning “blood”. It is recognizably thick and dark, hence the Westernized euphemism “chocolate meat.” It is similar to the Singapore dish pig’s organ soup, differing in that it does not contain vegetables and has a characteristically thick gravy.

Due to the offal it is frequently considered an unusual or alarming dish to those in Western culture, though it is rather similar to European-style blood sausage, or British black pudding in a saucy stew form. It is perhaps closer in appearance and preparation to the ancient Spartan dish known as black gruel whose primary ingredients were pork, vinegar and blood. Dinuguan is often served with white rice or a Filipino rice cake called puto.

Estimated cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Pork Dinuguan Ingredients:

• 1 k. of pork belly, cut into small cubes
  • 350 g. of pork liver
  • 4 c. of pig’s blood
  • 3 chili peppers (siling haba)
  • 1 head of garlic, crushed and minced
  • 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
  • 3 onions, halved and sliced thinly
  • 1 pouch of sinigang mix good for 1 liter of broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt
  • pepper (optional)
  • 1 tbsp. of cooking oil
Pork Dinuguan Cooking Instructions:

• Refrigerate the pig’s blood until needed.
  • Heat a heavy casserole.
  • Pour in the cooking oil. When the oil starts to smoke, add the garlic and ginger.
  • Saute until fragrant. Add the pork pieces and cook over high heat until the edges of the pork start to brown.
  • Add the onions, chili peppers, bay leaf and sinigang mix and continue cooking until the onions are transparent.
  • Season with salt and pepper, if using.
  • Pour in just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the pork is very tender.
  • Add more water, a little at a time, if the liquid dries up before the pork is cooked.
  • Meanwhile, minced the liver.
  • Season with a little salt.
  • When the pork is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, take the pig’s blood out of the refrigerator.
  • Transfer to a clean bowl. With you hands, mash solid masses to a pulp. Pour the mashed blood and the liquid into the casserole. Bring to a boil.
  • Cook over medium heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the minced liver and cook for another minute or two.
  • Add more salt if necessary.
    Serve the dinuguan hot with puto (sweet rice cakes) or steamed rice.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #12

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Brunes, did you track down a mass of pork yet? Got mine in today. 48.5lbs. cooking early next week, along with brisket, whole chickens, and broccoli rabe sausage . I'll be sure to share......pics that is

look at that cutie

Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to come buy my hog.. its 202 right now
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I smoke a lot, but never a whole hog, although I had a good buddy from North Carloina that was a pro at it, his go to statement was "if you can hear him cooking, he's too hot".
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #15

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Here she is

8:30 am, just getting warmed up

This is at about 3:30, almost there, went for about 2 more hours.
Fucking delicious

Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #16
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here she is

8:30 am, just getting warmed up

This is at about 3:30, almost there, went for about 2 more hours.
Fucking delicious

Dude-That's a lot of meat!! I haven't yet...The wife is on the hook for some of this work as it is her party...and we have both been super busy. But this weekend and early next week I'm working on it. Still gotta figure out the pit too....I'm thinking I might do charcoal and wood.....
Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #17

facemob's Tacoma Gallery
love the pit idea, just have to be able to cook it slow and low temp. i didnt go over 250, tried to hold it mostly around 220. used propane burners with wood chips in the barrel. as long as you can manage the temperature, the pit would be awesome!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Is that beer can chicken?? This thread is making me hungry!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #20
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery