Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Freeze dried food/ mountain house/ ect.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Freeze dried food/ mountain house/ ect.

Anyone on here buy these when going out camping or hiking?

I recently tried some this weekend out in the desert. It was pretty alright. Wasn't expecting a home cooked meal or something but I had a hot meal in 10 minutes.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I get them sometimes for backpacking. The biggest downside is that they're expensive.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Iakopa84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Iakopa84's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried the Mountain House before when camping with friends in Yosemite. It depends upon what type of meal you get for the taste quality. I had the scrambled eggs with peppers and it was pretty good. I saw the beef stew one and opted to stay away from that one.

Though while at Yosemite, I only ate one of the 8 packs I brought. The rest was pizza and beer
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
It's almost worth it sometimes. I was thinking on dehydrating my own food and vacuum pack it. For the desert trips.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
backpackers pantry is GROSS. mountian house is better.
but you know what? after 4 days of eating that stuff, you will want to die. there is just something in the flavor. more of an aftertaste that is the same in every meal..that gets troublesome.

last year, i remember my first meal at 10000 feet. i was exhausted and ate my mountian house mac and cheese. yum it was good..the days went by..my last meal was mac and cheese..i almost vomited. i was so happy to get off that mountain and eat something real. sadly, nobody arrowed a deer, so we had no meat. just those freeze dried meals.

i'll be digging into them again on the 20th of this month..oh lordie.