Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

"Buckeye" Candy

Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
"Buckeye" Candy

Since I am feeling rather generous today - I thought I'd share (these are awesome by the way):

History: My Mom usually makes this at Xmas... and has done so since I was a tot. The candy was designed to resemble the nut from the Buckeye tree (State tree of Ohio). The Native Americans in the area at the time named the tree "Buckeye" because the actual nut produced by the tree - resembling the eye of a buck:

Bonus!!! After all of the candies are handdipped in the chocolate - you will have some chocolate left over. Throw some peanuts in the left over chocolate and drop small spoons of it onto waxed paper to have chocolate covered peanuts...

**Please use extreme care when dipping candies as it is easy to burn yourself on this.**

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry.

2. Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet that is lined with wax paper...

3. Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm (about 30 minutes). *see alternate method below*

4. Melt chocolate chips (or other chocolate) using a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (these methods prevent burning and a messy clean-up). Stir frequently until smooth.

5. Dip frozen peanut butter balls into the chocolate utilizing the aforementioned toothpick (or the alternate method below). Ensure that you leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like the eye of a Buck or a Buckeye nut.

6. Put the dipped candy back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

ENJOY!!

*Alternate method: An alternate way of dipping the peanut butter candy into the chocolate is to rest it on a meat fork, and lower it into the chocolate not completely though). Just leave a small spot of the peanut butter showing.

PICS: I took the pics from the net since my Mom didn't have any available...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Damn i hit my head on the monitor again trying to take a bite of one i tend to be doing that with all these awesome recipes! Very Nice.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh man! those look great!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
They look good as hell man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Damn i hit my head on the monitor again trying to take a bite of one

I do that all the damn time in the MM thread.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Oh hell yes! Everytime there is some sort of family function where cookies are involved (weddings, christmas, etc) my mom always makes these. They're always the first to be finished off too!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
finally, we as a state contribute something people like!!

funny...they make a candy that resembles something that can kill you. yes, real buckeyes are very poisonious. lol we like to keep our kids on their toes.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
I have had those!!!! they kick ass!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
we are gonna make these very soon!!!! damn they look awesomely delish!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to a wedding on Saturday and I cannot wait to eat these btw!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Damn i hit my head on the monitor again trying to take a bite of one i tend to be doing that with all these awesome recipes! Very Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I'm glad no one is in this office to hear me laugh hysterically at you people

Eat those evey year at the holidays, very tasty!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
My Grandmother used to make these for the holidays. She used to melt some sort of wax into the chocolate as well. Not sure what it did but they sure were amazing!