Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Good camping recipes...

Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
Good camping recipes...

In 1.5 weeks (yes, I'm counting down), I'm going on my annual camping trip with some college buddies of mine. Wondering if any of you can throw some good, tried and true, recipes my way following these specifics:

1) Can keep for a few days before cooking. We're going up on a Thurs, and I'm doing Sat. dinah.
2) Can't be a chili. Another camping buddy is doing that for Fri dinah.
3) Got to be easy enough for a typical non-cooker to manage. And not a whole hellava alot of prep because we'll likely be three sheets to the wind by Saturday
4) Won't taste like dog squeeze.
5) Enough to satisfy 10 growing boys.

Any thoughts or ideas? I usually have breakfast in which I'm pretty proficient at, but this year we changed it up.

Thanks in advance!!

Jake
Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
These things are pretty damn good for camping food. Just don't trust their serving sizes. If it says it feeds two, it only feeds one.

Mountain House
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
cant go wrong with some steaks, potatoe's wraped in tin foil, and some corn in tin foil right in the fire
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why not buy a cast iron skillet and dutch oven, you will be able to do anything you want with those tools. Both of which you can throw right into the fire and the dutch oven may even have a tri fold stand to cook over campfire. Any outdoor stores will have these in stock. They may be a bit pricey but they will last for ever. When you go to a site like Gander Mt I am pretty sure they will have recipes. Sorry I dont have recipes off the top of my head. I could find my southern style beans with cornbread cooked witha dutch oven.....
Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like meat is out of the question...unless you have a way to keep it cold.

Deep fried turkey is super nom nom.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I bring MRE's because I'm a lazy motherfucker.
X2

That's why I recommend the Mountain House camping meals. IMHO, better flavor than MRE's, and just as easy to cook. Just dump boiling water in the pouch, wait two minutes, and eat right out of the pouch. Maybe bring some salt and pepper (or Tapatio) to season to your tastes.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
These things are pretty damn good for camping food. Just don't trust their serving sizes. If it says it feeds two, it only feeds one.

Mountain House
gross. i wouldnt touch a backpacking meal if i were camping out of a truck. i ate MH meals for 6 days on top of a mountian. the last bite, i almost vomited. they all have a crazy aftertaste. their benefit is lightweight and low fuel to cook.

OP. marinate some skirt steak. salt, pepper, cumin, lemon juice..shot of tequila.

grill it and slice it thin against the grain. serve it with tortillas and sour cream, and salsa. Fajitas!!

i have the same perdicament..i leave the 10th. i am going to make the fajitas, some stew, some chili..and lots and lots of pasta. there will be only two of us. rock climbing and taking breaks from our wives.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you'll need a cooler to keep your meat cold. But I've done this a couple times with the Boy Scouts - if they can manage it you ought to be able to. This recipe served 14 people: 3 adults and 11 scouts. For 10 college age hungry dudes, I'd probably increase the recipe a bit. The easiest way would be to go to two full pounds of rice, (instead of a pound and a half) since you'll need to buy two pounds anyway, and upsize the amount of broth proportionally. Beginner cooks tend to grab "minute rice" thinking it's the same thing. It's not. You'll regret it.

Outside Louisiana, you pretty much can't get Tasso. Just add a pound of chicken or sausage so the total weight of meat is the same. The more flavorful sausage you get, the better the recipe will be. "Jimmy Dean Breakfast" is pretty bland stuff.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

One word: With that big a recipe and a big castiron dutch oven, you're going to be hard pressed to get enough heat into it to brown the meat. I could do it with a typical camp stove when I downsized the recipe for my son and myself. But for an entire patrol/big group, you need something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104246280

(If the link doesn't work google up "Camp Chef Universal Output Single Burner"
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Also, if you want minimum prep time out in the field, you can cut up all the meat, and chop up the onions, at home, and bring them in gallon size (separate!) ziplock bags.