Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Smoked Pork Shoulder - Lots of Pics

Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Smoked Pork Shoulder - Lots of Pics

So I smoked a shoulder yesterday in 40-degree weather. Cold weather has no significant impact on a thick-walled smoker until it gets really cold. Yesterday was just fine. On to the photos:

Here's the 9 lb shoulder. Started adding the yellow mustard.

Complete thin coat of yellow mustard

Plenty of dry rub. I've made them before but my favorite is Sticky Pig right out of the shaker.

On the vertical keg smoker:

All sealed up and smoking:

6 hours later, done with the smoke and into the oven:

5 hours later (11 hours total), pulled and in the fridge ready for tonight! Yum.

I have to go to work but I'll probably edit this with cooking details tonight! I'm not the most experienced smoker in the world but I've got pork shoulder on this particular smoker down to a science.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Fever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to behold
Fever's Tacoma Gallery
I'd hit that! Cool smoker too!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Feastorama!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good to me, lets eat!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
awesome!!!

I will bring the rolls! ( Brioche Sliders )
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
WingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant futureWingNut55 has a brilliant future
Air Force: Active Duty
Name: Derek
WingNut55's Tacoma Gallery
Looking tasty...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
fuck now I am hungry
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
pennyman is on a distinguished road
pennyman's Tacoma Gallery
Nice

looks great, i like to smoker too.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. The keg is a perfect smoker base because it's stainless. It's also pretty efficient. I can smoke a shoulder for 6 hours with one chimney starter full of hardwood charcoal with another half chimney full added unlit. Holds 225 to 250 degrees very consistently.