Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Dry aging a rib roast

Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Dry aging a rib roast

I bought a 5lb rib roast for Christmas. I was gonna dry roast it this week until I read an article that said dry roasting is better left to professional butchers. It aslo said dry aging has a different "gamey" taste to it. I thougt all it did was make it more tender what is your thoughts?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Drool. Yum.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I dry aged half a Prime bone-in rib last year with out any appreciable improvement to my taste.

Kept it in the fridge wrapped in paper towel and kept changing out the towel every few days for 2 weeks. It got all dry and crusty on the edges as expected but otherwise not impressed.

Maybe I did it wrong?

Planning on getting another USDA Prime ribeye at costco again this year but no dry aging this time.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Planning on getting another USDA Prime ribeye at costco again this year but no dry aging this time.
Doing the same thing, following a (delicious) "practice round" a few weeks ago. Based on how that one tasted, I see no reason to age the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
If you research Alton Brown's dry aging method. He has it down to a science.
AB has all food-related things down to a science! His Dry-Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus recipe is available here. (The first paragraph describes dry aging.)
Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Nice I am going to check it out eventually. When I have the time and space in the fridge to dry age anything I am going to do it. Maybe in the new year..... I have a pretty good butcher in the area that has only 21 day aged beef. A 90 minute drive it a serious butcher that has 45 day dry aged meats.... super expensive but well worth the money. The absolute best tasting meat I ever had......