Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Waffle House Hash Browns

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Waffle House Hash Browns

Waffle House Hash Browns

4 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
Water
1 cup ice
Vegetable oil for frying

Place prepared potatoes in a 2-quart bowl, and add salt. Add ice and pour enough water to cover potatoes. Stir to mix salt and ice in the potatoes. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Place shredded potatoes in a colander, rinse with cool tap water and drain completely. At this point you can place potatoes back in the refrigerator covered until ready to fry. The uncooked potatoes will keep up to 5 hours.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add enough vegetable oil to lightly cover bottom. When skillet is hot and oil has been heated, place two cups of drained shredded potatoes in skillet. Fry until crisp, shaping with a spatula. Fry about 12 to 15 minutes, without turning. Time depends on the temperature and size of the shredded hash browns. When potatoes are golden, flip over carefully and fry tops of potatoes for 2 - 3 minutes.

Do not cover hash browns while frying or stir through them.

Enjoy,
neon
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
don't forget to cover em with cheese!!!

love them wafflehouse hashbrowns!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #3
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Or would it be: Scattered, Smothered(Onions), Covered(cheese), Diced(tomatoes), Chunked(ham), Peppered(jalepenos), Topped(chilli), Capped(mushrooms).

Did I miss anything? Going from memory on all the options. I usually just get mine Scattered,Smothered,Covered.

Has anyone had it all the way?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Western Alliance: Sierra's
Clipper is on a distinguished road

Clipper's Tacoma Gallery
I think you got them all. I miss waffle house from when i lived in GA. They are on every corner. none here in cali.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I think you got them all. I miss waffle house from when i lived in GA. They are on every corner. none here in cali.
Yep. I once had 3 waffle houses on my exit off the interstate. It was overkill. You could see all 3 from any of the locations. This must be where Starbucks got the idea.

Nothing better than Waffle house at 4am after a night of partying.

Or you can have your wedding there too! Classy! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3HcaIiTmDc
Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Fock I wish we had a Waffle House up here.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Or would it be: Scattered, Smothered(Onions), Covered(cheese), Diced(tomatoes), Chunked(ham), Peppered(jalepenos), Topped(chilli), Capped(mushrooms).

Did I miss anything? Going from memory on all the options. I usually just get mine Scattered,Smothered,Covered.

Has anyone had it all the way?

Waffle House Hash Browns Scattered all the Way!

1 slice American cheese (covered)
1/4 cup diced yellow onion (smothered)
Sliced jalapeno peppers, to taste (peppered)
1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes (diced)
1/4 cup mushrooms (capped)
1/3 cup diced lean ham (chunked)
1/3 cup chili with beans, heated
1 serving Waffle House Hash Browns (above)

Prepare Waffle House Hash Browns as directed. Leave them in the skillet, and add cheese, onion, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and ham. When done, add chili on top of all.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
All the Waffle houses in my area are closing! There's only one Dennys and it's 20 miles from here, no Bickfords, no IHOP...what's a guy to do for a good sloppy breakfast and a cup of coffee that could peel paint anymore!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
All the Waffle houses in my area are closing! There's only one Dennys and it's 20 miles from here, no Bickfords, no IHOP...what's a guy to do for a good sloppy breakfast and a cup of coffee that could peel paint anymore!

i will teach you how to make it at home...LOL.. yea yea I know, just something about someone else making it for you makes it taste better..

I have to drive 2 hours for a WaffleHOuse..or Denny's....I do have a IHOP! YAY
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a sister in law in St. Pete Beach Fla. There are 2 Waffle houses within a 5 minute drive of her house. Can't go there without stopping in at least once. None that I know of left in Conn.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
anyone going to make these this morning??? Im thinkng about it....
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Girlfriend is coming back up for a 4-day weekend here! I'll ask her to fry them up for us. And I'm gonna put about 8 scoops in the coffee machine. We'll eat it all on the picnic table out back, could be just like WaffleHouse! Woo hoo!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Quote:
Girlfriend is coming back up for a 4-day weekend here! I'll ask her to fry them up for us. And I'm gonna put about 8 scoops in the coffee machine. We'll eat it all on the picnic table out back, could be just like WaffleHouse! Woo hoo!

I just shredded some and they r sitting in the ice water NOW!! I CANT WAIT!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #14

is a "colander" one of those net things you use to get the water off something you boiled? just wanna make sure I have one in here. i took a bunch of stuff out of the house before the ex got it in the divorce, not sure what i got.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
Quote:
is a "colander" one of those net things you use to get the water off something you boiled? just wanna make sure I have one in here. i took a bunch of stuff out of the house before the ex got it in the divorce, not sure what i got.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #16

yup. got one. :-)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post

Or you can have your wedding there too! Classy! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3HcaIiTmDc
And what is scary about this wedding. It is at a Waffle house in my county. Yay! "You might be a redneck if"................Your weddin is at Waffle house!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
these sound GOOD about now!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
these sound GOOD about now!!!
Best food late at night.

Once I took my 11yr old Son to WH @ 1am on our way home. One night after gaming @ Jillians/Dave & Busters(arcade) for 4 hours. That was a good night!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #20

Ok I just got off the phone with my girlfriend. We're FINALLY gonna make these Saturday morning! Woo hoo!