LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

best cookbook for a man

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
best cookbook for a man

Ok ladies and gents I need a good cookbook that is easy and doesnt require to much skill, I need something like a 5 ingredient quick fix. Help me out because I am tired of eating the same old thine, meat and potatoes
Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Google is the best recipe book for men...I'm serious too, if I want a recipe for something ill Google it
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Google is the best recipe book for men...I'm serious too, if I want a recipe for something ill Google it
yeah dude I do that all the time, that and youtube but I want something that I can go to whenever I want something new. I feel like I go to the grocery everyday to get meat and potatoes and sometimes fish....just need something in the kitchen that I can grab anytime and have the stuff there to make it
Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Betty Crocker cook book. It's got some complicated recipes but a lot of them are pretty simple to follow.

Also, check out a man, a can, a plan. It's got a lot of simple recipes, we used it a lot in college.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got a Betty Crocker cook book. It's got some complicated recipes but a lot of them are pretty simple to follow.

Also, check out a man, a can, a plan. It's got a lot of simple recipes, we used it a lot in college.
will check it out pugga, eating out every other day gets expensive. I feel like every cookbook that I have calls for something that I dont have and I have to run to the grocery store to get.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
A man, a can, a plan.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-G.../dp/1579546072
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Also any book by Americas test kitchen. They test their recipes dozens of times to make them fool proof.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Xshark;4292673]A man, a can, a plan.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Can-Plan-G.../dp/1579546072

that looks like what Im lookin for, headed to the bookstore here in a lil bit
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, when I started learning how to cook.. I googled recipes. That way, you find some easy ones that you know you'll like, put them together and bam your own personalized cookbook where every recipe is a meal you enjoy. Then when you go grocery shopping, decide what meals you're gonna use for the week (I do 2 weeks) and make your list off that. Once all your recipes are together it makes it super easy to make a list and grocery shop. Obviously, if something like that is too much work you then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
For food sites, I like http://allrecipes.com/. You can create an acct for free and add things to your recipe box. You can search by ingredients on hand, you can scale recipes up or down. There are tons of comments and variations for all. It's like the Amazon of recipes, IMO. Food Network offers a lot of similar stuff too, but sometimes it can be a bit over the top since it's based on the TV shows.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I second allrecipes, search by the ingredients you have in your pantry and it will show you several different options and you can choose what sounds good to you.

If you went that route, and I guess this would apply to "A man, a can, a plan" you would do yourself a favor if you went ahead and stocked up on some basic ingredients and staple spices and such so you would have a wide selection of options without having to run to hte grocery store all the time.

Here's a pretty dang comprehensive list, it's a place to start, at least.
http://www.chefdoughty.com/stockingb...ntry/list.html
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use recipes, I just make it up as I go. If I feel like garlic, I just add garlic, if I am in the mood for spicy I add cayenne or red pepper etc....
That being said, I do sometimes google to get ideas, but don't let it discourage you if you see a recipe that you like and you don't have all the ingredients in the house. Unless it is a critical item, like chili powder when you want to make chili, then leaving something out or even substituting with something else should work just fine.
The best way to find a good recipe book would be to go to a book store and page through books. You will quickly see if there is one that appeals to you. Start with the ones that use only a few ingredients. You can always add your favourite spices later as you prefer.
I would stay away from the canned food recipes, since canned foods are just nasty in my opinion, especially the meats. Some vegetables or soups are okay.
Bottom line is, experiment more than just relying on recipes.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The joy of cooking in paperback.
I bought one ions ago & still use to this day.
It is pretty comprehensive but so helpful it is like owning a service manual for fixing my cooking.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Ha ha, that's a good one. A few ingredients only and geared for culinary challenged men...

Meat, potatoes, bread, cheese, bacon, salt, ketchup/BBQ sauce and maybe add some hot sauce if getting really fancy.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
All the cooking inspiration a man requires.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/