Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Turkey Frying?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
From the god of cooking....

http://youtu.be/u5a7gJ0_Fds
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
eazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant future

Name: Jay
eazyrider711's Tacoma Gallery
As much fun as frying is, I love brining turkey the last few years. People love it.

Food God agrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKr1rByVVCI

I have used this in the past, but its harder to find these days.

http://www.spicehunter.com/recipes_details.asp?id=676
Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
My family was skeptical about frying (gotta use great grammys recipie. even though it tasts like dirt, it's tradition!). but last year i finally convinced them to fry. best decision we've ever made, and best turkey we've ever had. we made up a cajun mix that we injected it with, and then used a mild spiced rub on the outside.

it's also 100 time easier as a cooking process overall. just make sure you have some strong arms to slowly lower the bird into the tub.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Kanyon71 is on a distinguished road
Kanyon71's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty much a turkey hater since I was young and it's all I could eat for a while. About 7 years ago I stumbled across this magic thing we call fried turkey and went out and bout the stuff to do. All I can say now is that the only turkey I will eat. I make a nice injection for it with butter, garlic, seasoning salt. I do my injecting ahead of time let it get in there nice and good and then I salt and pepper the bird and make sure I do the same inside and rub it all in. Nice fry in peanut oil and when it comes out let it sit to tighten back up before slicing. Some of the moistest best taking turkey I've ever had. Also as stated above I then sit there looking at the oil going OK what else can I fry in here while this baby is hot. This year we are going to try some fried stuffing balls

BTW: First post been lurking over a year since I got my truck
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #25
eazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant futureeazyrider711 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71 View Post
I'm pretty much a turkey hater since I was young and it's all I could eat for a while. About 7 years ago I stumbled across this magic thing we call fried turkey and went out and bout the stuff to do. All I can say now is that the only turkey I will eat. I make a nice injection for it with butter, garlic, seasoning salt. I do my injecting ahead of time let it get in there nice and good and then I salt and pepper the bird and make sure I do the same inside and rub it all in. Nice fry in peanut oil and when it comes out let it sit to tighten back up before slicing. Some of the moistest best taking turkey I've ever had. Also as stated above I then sit there looking at the oil going OK what else can I fry in here while this baby is hot. This year we are going to try some fried stuffing balls

BTW: First post been lurking over a year since I got my truck
Welcome, LOL.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
MAXBOI
maxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the roughmaxboi is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brian
maxboi's Tacoma Gallery
One important tip/trick I do and share is........

Right before you lower the bird in the 350 degree oil, turn off the burner. Once the bird is in the oil and everything calms down (1-2 minutes) light the burner again. You will loose a degree or two but if you do have some overflow for some reason you simply have a mess not a fire.

$.02
Old 11-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider711 View Post
Fried turkey can be awesome. Couple tips I try to remember:
  1. Oil Level - As Brunes mentioned, use water to measure your fill level. This is a starting point, but you will want less oil since the oil will expand when heated. Over filling is very dangerous, so be extra cautious.
  2. After you use the turkey/water to get a fill level, make sure you completely dry the turkey before putting it into the hot oil. Any extra water left on the turkey will boil and steam can can cause the oil to overflow.
  3. Butter Injection - I like to use an injector to shoot some extra flavor into the meat. You can make your own or buy it from Camping/Outdoor stores or here.

http://www.cajuninjector.com/

http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeyinject...r_the_skin.htm

4. Just be extra careful. Nothing ruins a family holiday more than 3rd degree burns or a burned down house. Keep the kids and pets away from the burner.
Other than that, it can taste great and be a ton of fun.

Caution alert, you don't want the oil level any where near the rim of the pot. Use the pre-measuring method with water but you only need enough volume to cover the bird by an inch or so. And yes thoroghly dry off the bird AND the pot before adding the measured level of oil.

Personally way too much expense (oil) hassle and danger for the result that is yielded. Tastes similar to fried chicken breast, IMO, I'd just as soon stop by the KFC for that.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
My family deep fries every year, its the best tasting turkey I've ever had!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
Kanyon71 is on a distinguished road
Kanyon71's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I got my oil, got my tank filled will make my injection butter tomorrow so it sits for the night. Then Thursday is fry time
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
this year at the office we are using the turkey fryer to boil Dungenous crab!!

we are gonna do a crab boil!!

oh, for lowering a turkey into the oil. two people. we stab a broom stick thru the turkey lifting hook and lower the bird safely from the sides.

doing it one man, front and center is a fool's game. dont do it.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've been deep frying turkeys for years and years. This, hands down, is the best stuff for a deep fried turkey.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Cajun-Inje...Fct9Ogod2W8AhQ

At the stores they sell an injection kit with the butter, dry rub, and a injector. I've tried tons of recipes, still nothing beats this. Also amazing on steaks and chicken.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #33
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider711 View Post
As much fun as frying is, I love brining turkey the last few years. People love it.

Food God agrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKr1rByVVCI

I have used this in the past, but its harder to find these days.

http://www.spicehunter.com/recipes_details.asp?id=676

We brined last year must have done something wrong. It was horrible. I brined chicken wings about a month ago and they were too salty even though I followed a recipe on recipe site.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
We brined last year must have done something wrong. It was horrible. I brined chicken wings about a month ago and they were too salty even though I followed a recipe on recipe site.
If you're its too salty you may not have enough fresh water mixed in with the brine or you may just be leaving it in too long. I do about 24 hours for a 20+ lbs bird. If you're doing something small like wings, maybe just two hours. When I started I had the same problem on a chicken I was cooking. Keep with it and maybe practice on some smaller meals before the big Day.