Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Business in Bed

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
pbaxTACO is on a distinguished road

pbaxTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Food Business in Bed

Anyone here know of anyone or have done this themselves: converter the bed of their Tacoma into some sort of grill or smoker? I am interested in starting a food business, and think a BBQ restaurant in the back of my truck would be sweet. Just an idea.

(if anyone feels like fabricating a smoker, let me know).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Misleading thread title.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaxTACO View Post
Anyone here know of anyone or have done this themselves: converter the bed of their Tacoma into some sort of grill or smoker? I am interested in starting a food business, and think a BBQ restaurant in the back of my truck would be sweet. Just an idea.

(if anyone feels like fabricating a smoker, let me know).
The actuall bed of the truck? Not a trailer?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Misleading thread title.
on purpose - meant to drive traffic
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
on purpose - meant to drive traffic
Props.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotacoma View Post
The actuall bed of the truck? Not a trailer?
Bed of the truck. No trailer.

No one can tell me if a guy wasn't pulling delicious looking pulled pork out of the back of his truck, that you wouldn't want to partake.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

The drive of this all is that I want to quit my job, start my own business, and/or move to Colorado ASAP.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Bed of the truck. No trailer.

No one can tell me if a guy wasn't pulling delicious looking pulled pork out of the back of his truck, that you wouldn't want to partake.

I think you will have some major cost in insulating the smooker/grilll from the bed. The heat will wreck your truck. Probably less cost in a trailer. Now if you are just planning to store it the bed after its cookd.... thats a posibility.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I think you will have some major cost in insulating the smooker/grilll from the bed. The heat will wreck your truck. Probably less cost in a trailer. Now if you are just planning to store it the bed after its cookd.... thats a posibility.
Good points. Will need to look into insulation costs.

Trailer loses that wow factor I think.

Keeping it warm in the back might work, but again, where is the wow in that?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Quote:
Good points. Will need to look into insulation costs.

Trailer loses that wow factor I think.

Keeping it warm in the back might work, but again, where is the wow in that?

The cost in having something fabricated custom is going to far exceede the cost of buying a stock trailer. Your choice of course. I agree with the previous post saying the space is small. I am a chef by trade and I am not actualy sure you can insulate the space sufficently and have anything left. The best set up I see around town is a 20' panel truck towing a 18' smoker. Big Jims Ribs. Damn thats some good bbq.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
To be honest, I wouldn't be crazy about buying meat from the back of a truck
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR View Post
Com'on man! You haven't lived till you have eaten undeclared meat from a random dude with a truck...
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
The cost in having something fabricated custom is going to far exceede the cost of buying a stock trailer. Your choice of course. I agree with the previous post saying the space is small. I am a chef by trade and I am not actualy sure you can insulate the space sufficently and have anything left. The best set up I see around town is a 20' panel truck towing a 18' smoker. Big Jims Ribs. Damn thats some good bbq.

Maybe the trailer is the way to go. Perhaps use the bed for something else. This line of thinking arose since I have been looking at the panel trucks for a food truck, but thought about saving cost.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Quote:
Maybe the trailer is the way to go. Perhaps use the bed for something else. This line of thinking arose since I have been looking at the panel trucks for a food truck, but thought about saving cost.

You have some experience in doing all this? You realize you need a seperate comissary kitchen right?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR View Post
Was gonna say this myself but didn't want to offend OP