Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Oven temp issue....

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #41
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
see but that's where your issue comes back even if you were to put something in there to cook. when something is cooking it is always "fighting the heat" per se. water is always evaporating/cooking the item so you can't really expect the temperature of your baked item to be the same temperature you are cooking at unitl its past cooked and starting to burn. does that make any sense to any one but me? your read on lets say, a cookie, probably wont be 350 degrees ever cause once that cookie ever actually gets to 350 it will probably be burnt to shit. the easiest, cheapest way to test would be to let it preheat to set temperature and then cook something (a pan of cookies from a roll really would be ideal) and see if they "turn out right" by following the instructions.
The problem is, She IS following the cooking directions, and things are comming out burnt to shit.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #42
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The problem is, She IS following the cooking directions, and things are comming out burnt to shit.
FWIW, my wife burns shit all the time too.

I suggest you eat out more.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok....400* is 428* on the probe.....that could be within margin of error of thermo.
Chris, sounds like that oven is pretty good now. I went ahead and found an article that explains a good way to mail cookies. This should help them get to me in pretty good shape ..

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holi...-cookies-dec06

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #44
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
FWIW, my wife burns shit all the time too.

I suggest you eat out more.
No dude. That fucking oven burnt chocolate chip cookies the other day...its personal now.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Chris, sounds like that oven is pretty good now. I went ahead and found an article that explains a good way to mail cookies. This should help them get to me in pretty good shape ..

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holi...-cookies-dec06

Im tellin ya man, the last batch of cookies turned out like chocolate chip BBQ birquets.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #46
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No dude. That fucking oven burnt chocolate chip cookies the other day...its personal now.
I see the issue. Can't fuck with a man's cookies.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #47
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Im tellin ya man, the last batch of cookies turned out like chocolate chip BBQ birquets.
Well we can't have that. Just on a different idea, have you checked the oven timer to make sure it works?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #48

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I usually bake cookies by how they look, not the timer.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Well we can't have that. Just on a different idea, have you checked the oven timer to make sure it works?
Oh yeah...The oven timer is fine. It went off a while back, wouldnt stop, so I beat it with a hammer until the LED light popped out.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well then your thermometer might indeed be off. and john was right now that i think about it; a convection ovens purpose is to surround the items with the appropriate temperatures air. if the top element stayed on while cooking it would just toast the top of your foods.

Quote:
now that's just wrong.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Yeah.....well I cant see thru the glass very well.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
well then your thermometer might indeed be off. and john was right now that i think about it; a convection ovens purpose is to surround the items with the appropriate temperatures air. if the top element stayed on while cooking it would just toast the top of your foods.

now that's just wrong.
Its not a convection oven. Its just a regular oven.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #53

350* is 389.7*
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #54
Recklessly tired

Quote:
Yeah.....well I cant see thru the glass very well.
All signs point to new oven.

You didn't try to mod this thing did you?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Its not a convection oven. Its just a regular oven.
and i don't really know why i said convection oven

same shit i said applies though..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #56

Quote:
All signs point to new oven.

You didn't try to mod this thing did you?
Hell no. Beat the timer with a hammer one time, baked random engine parts in it, blew up pork chops, and some wood, but thats about it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #57
Recklessly tired

Quote:
I start paying attention with the timer. So, 15 minute recommended bake, I set it for 12.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #58
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good idea. WHere is it/what does it look like?
The thermostat probe is the one coming out of the back wall next to the light. The two braided wires lead to the igniter for the broiler

Quote:
Our oven has a heating element on the top and bottom. Seems only the bottom one gets hot.
The top one is probably for broiling ours is
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
The thermostat probe is the one coming out of the back wall next to the light. The two braided wires lead to the igniter for the broiler

The top one is probably for broiling ours is

Ok.....My probe looks different.....Lemmie send a pic to live.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #60
I'm a zit. Get it?

chris have you tried testing the temperature with oil? as long as you successfully manage not to spill it all over the elements and burn your house down when you take it out of the oven, oil is a perfect representation of heat distribution in most cooking environments. when i use an accurate fryer and put a the thermometer in it, it's always very very close to the set temperature. you could heat up a pot of oil and then even get to use your IR thermometer.