Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Oven temp issue....

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #61
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No dude. That fucking oven burnt chocolate chip cookies the other day...its personal now.
I'm surprised the oven in still functional after that.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #62
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
chris have you tried testing the temperature with oil? as long as you successfully manage not to spill it all over the elements and burn your house down when you take it out of the oven, oil is a perfect representation of heat distribution in most cooking environments. when i use an accurate fryer and put a the thermometer in it, it's always very very close to the set temperature. you could heat up a pot of oil and then even get to use your IR thermometer.
Are you serious or trying to get me killed?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #63
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok.....My probe looks different.....Lemmie send a pic to live.
Try cleaning it with oven cleaner now that you know what it is.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #65
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #66
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Does this oven have a cleaning cycle?
Yeah, thats how I got all the tree sap out of it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #68
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
though in all seriousness, baking oil might cause it to flash burn if it gets too hot. . . so maybe don't do that. i am just using the mental reference in my head of calibrating fryers by using the temperature of the oil im heating up.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #69

Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #70
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah.....well I cant see thru the glass very well.
Umm...Open the door to look?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #71
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I think this could all be solved with a cheap oven thermometer. Set the oven to 400, put the thermometer in and check it when it says it's preheated. Set the timer for 5 minutes and check again, rinse and repeat a few times.

At 400 the oven should go from 385 to 415, it could spike after you open the door to re-heat to 400.

Remember ovens don't have low power or re-heat power, it's all or nothing. That's why you don't want to open the door all the time. Every time the oven kicks on to bring the temperature back up it can exceed by 15 degrees. If your baking cookies for 15 minutes and open the door 2 or 3 times you could really be baking those cookies 20+ degrees hotter than intended.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #72
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, thats how I got all the tree sap out of it.
You're welcome, BTW.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I think this could all be solved with a cheap oven thermometer. Set the oven to 400, put the thermometer in and check it when it says it's preheated. Set the timer for 5 minutes and check again, rinse and repeat a few times.

At 400 the oven should go from 385 to 415, it could spike after you open the door to re-heat to 400.

Remember ovens don't have low power or re-heat power, it's all or nothing. That's why you don't want to open the door all the time. Every time the oven kicks on to bring the temperature back up it can exceed by 15 degrees. If your baking cookies for 15 minutes and open the door 2 or 3 times you could really be baking those cookies 20+ degrees hotter than intended.
Yeah....I guess Im gonna have to break down and get a dam oven temp thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
You're welcome, BTW.

you could have told me the door was gonna lock on me
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #74

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah....I guess Im gonna have to break down and get a dam oven temp thing....

you could have told me the door was gonna lock on me
picky picky
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
picky picky
Not picky at all. I thought I was locked out and it was gonna go meltdown on me. AND YOU never told me to get the shit away from the top of the fucking thing......
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #76
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Try cleaning that.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Try cleaning that.
Ok. Any idea with what?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #78
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Ok. Any idea with what?
Oven cleaner, green scratchie, comet.
No blow torch, flamethrower, gasoline or other flammable substance.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Oven cleaner, green scratchie, comet.
No blow torch, flamethrower, gasoline or other flammable substance.
Got it. Would steel wool work too, or is that too harsh?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #80
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Got it. Would steel wool work too, or is that too harsh?
Lightly with a fine grade should be OK.