Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Oven temp issue....

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Oven temp issue....

How can I verify the temp my oven is opperating at when set to a certain setting? Can I turn it on, set it at 300* (for example), then once it stops heating, use an IR thermometer to see if its right?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
yes actually.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
An oven thermometer might be more accurate. The IR would likely register the surface temp of whatever you are aiming at.

Wait...Why the F are you using the oven? Does Julie know about this?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
yes actually.
Cool. Now wheres a good spot to aim the IR thermo at? The back?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How can I verify the temp my oven is opperating at when set to a certain setting? Can I turn it on, set it at 300* (for example), then once it stops heating, use an IR thermometer to see if its right?
That is correct. If you turn it to 300F and it doesn't stop at 300F and goes all the way to 500F+ you have what's called a "run away thermostat". All you need to replace the oven temperature switch - very easy job to do. Hit me up if you need more help, I have fixed countless stoves, fridges, dishwashers, etc...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
An oven thermometer might be more accurate. The IR would likely register the surface temp of whatever you are aiming at.

Wait...Why the F are you using the oven? Does Julie know about this?
Ever since she blew up pork chops in the oven, shit has come out burned after cooking. I dont know if these things get calibrated, or whatever, but Im wondering if the temp sensor is knocked out of spec.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

i hate this fucking oven. I want nothing more than to yank it out of my house, and drop it from an airplane.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
what kind of wood are you cooking now?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i hate this fucking oven. I want nothing more than to yank it out of my house, and drop it from an airplane.
Taking it to a desert and shooting rounds through it works too
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, or get an oven thermometer from a kitchen store (or maybe even Walmart or the likes) they are rated to about 500 degrees and built to stay in the oven
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ever since she blew up pork chops in the oven, shit has come out burned after cooking. I dont know if these things get calibrated, or whatever, but Im wondering if the temp sensor is knocked out of spec.
Neither of you should be allowed in the kitchen.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Cool. Now wheres a good spot to aim the IR thermo at? The back?
that would be my first place, yeah. i work in food production and we obviously have kick ass internal thermometers on a relay that control the burners, but when we shoot the IR in an oven its always close.

i will say pine wood is not a great way to test it though
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
that would be my first place, yeah. i work in food production and we obviously have kick ass internal thermometers on a relay that control the burners, but when we shoot the IR in an oven its always close.

The IR will be off +/- 15F or so...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe the thermostat just needs cleaning. Look for a metal probe at the top back of the oven.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
The IR will be off +/- 15F or so...
well if he's aiming for 300 (no pun intended) and 290-320 shows up, it would be definitive enough to prove it's not too screwed up.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a thermocouple somewhere inside the oven. I would check and see if is not damaged. If the oven is convection, the thermocouple is located by the fan outlet. Aim your IR at the thermocouple and the will tell you if they coincide.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Gas oven? Put your head in there and give it a look.

Deebs on the boat
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
what kind of wood are you cooking now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Taking it to a desert and shooting rounds through it works too
yeah.....I dont want to waste my ammo on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by facemob View Post
Yes, or get an oven thermometer from a kitchen store (or maybe even Walmart or the likes) they are rated to about 500 degrees and built to stay in the oven
I dont have any money to get one....Are they easy to shop lift?

Quote:
SHUT IT!
Quote:

Ok......Ive taken a few reading, 1 at the back about halfway up, 1 reading from the grate thing that goes accross the over....its silver.....looks like a grill.....So far, I have come up with the following temps:
300* is actually 346* at the back, and 376* on the silver grate thing

400* is actually 436* at the back, and 441* on the silver grill thing......
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:
Gas oven? Put your head in there and give it a look.

Deebs on the boat