1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

packaged food expiration date

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by RoyB, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    RoyB

RoyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    how legit are some of these? I was cleaning out the cabinet and came across some old stuff i guess....had dates of 06 and 07 and some early 08. Objects such as: canned goods, tomato sauce, tuna in a foil package, mac and cheese, powdered seasonings in a packet, cookies, jam, hot chocolate, popcorn, etc. I mean does hot chocolate and mac and cheese really go bad? Its just noodles. Everything is dry and sealed.

Thoughts? I found an old can of odouls in my fridge that had an 06 date on it. my buddy drank it yesterday and said it wasnt too bad lol.

how do i know if i should chance it or throw it out? is it that it's not fresh after that date or that bacteria starts to grow?

2. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    if its canned, I go by the 5 year rule.

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Unless the can has split or I open it and there's some funky growth in there, I eat it. Same thing with the sealed powder stuff, like mac and cheese. If I get a hankering for cheese and there's some in the fridge and it has mold on it, if I want it bad enough, I'll cut the mold off and then eat the cheese.

I draw the line on milk. If there's even a whiff of something's not right, it goes in the trash. There's a bottle of Ken's Country French salad dressing in the fridge right now that says 06 on it. It still tastes good, so I figure, what the heck.

My wife is religious on expiration dates, she'll throw it out even though I'd eat it, and she's always sick or has a tummy ache, but I don't.

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    40204ever

40204ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caldwell, TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco racing development
    Feed a portion to an enemy or the dog. If its bad the entertainment was free.

5. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    im thinking if its powdered, what the heck could go bad? popcorn and mac and cheese is all dry. i could see the tuna and sauce going bad though. since im single i don't always eat stuff i buy because i forget about it. for a while i had 10 packages of chicken in the freezer lol. id buy a pack or 2 every week because they were on sale and eat less then i was putting in!

what about spaghetti? I know i have a couple packages of rigatoni that are probably 3 years old. really dont make it a lot.

6. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Mold means extra greens in your diet. Go for broke!

Canned stuff, so long as it's not budging you should be fine. Thing to note too, is it an expiry date or best before? Cause there's a big, big difference.

7. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    Flour and pancake easy mix ...........I would't eat anything containing yeast and such ingrediants..............the spores could kill you..........We had a case in the ER just recently were a mom gave her kid some pancakes made that had been on self past there expire date............the spores caused by the yeast nearly killed her kid.

8. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Depends on what it is..... Canned goods that are liquid or sauce in nature will eventually taste like the can (metallic taste). Ate some old Tomatoes once, it was pretty nasty - but I'm still alive. If in doubt, throw it out.

Foil & plastic type packages don't always stay sealed. If its been too long- the glue (that seals the package) can break down and air can seep in. The worst I've experienced with that is the stuff tastes stale.

If in doubt - throw it out or offer it up to your local food bank. Tell them its OLD and chances are, they might not even accept it.

9. Dec 7, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    we have opened up flour and pancake mix that has been sitting in the cabinet for a good long time........weird little bugs, almost like meal worms crawling around in there. i tend to stay away from that.............even if it would be a little more protein!!:D

10. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    flour goes bad? shit. ive used flour thats been like a year old before. was thinking about throwing it out today.

11. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:08 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I would throw out! Food poisoning isn't worth saving a few bucks.:eek:

12. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    yes flour goes bad...........what happens is it grows spores not mold like regular bread and the spores if your allergic can kill you. Only thing is you will not know til its too late. Luckly the the kids mother rushed the kid to the hospital in time.

13. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Thanks for the heads up on the flour. Had a bag in the freezer.(zip locked)It was about ready to pop.:eek:

14. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:44 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Fun thing about those bugs in flour: they were always there, just hadn't hatched yet. You've been eating them all along and never knew it. Tasty!

15. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    And we're all still alive.... alive and living well. :D

Ain't nutting wrong with a little extra protein!

16. Dec 8, 2008 at 7:36 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.

That's what she said. :D

17. Dec 8, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Here is the the article from snopes on the pancake batter from 2006 http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

18. Dec 8, 2008 at 2:15 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    very true.................but if i can see the damn thing crawling around in there.........its coming outta there.:D

19. Dec 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Those dates scare the crap out of me, I got sick off out dated food once. And it only took that one time, head bent over a bucket for 3 days, lost 5 pounds. And that nasty taste in your mouth, needless to say my girls raise cane if they see anything out of date.
    Bad booze is even worse :(

20. Dec 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    feed the homeless

Products Discussed in