Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Split Pea Soup

Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Split Pea Soup

This batch makes around 10-12 servings...

2 cups dried green split peas (just throw in the whole bag)
4 cups beer (I use 3 Henry Weinhard's which comes out to about 6 cups)
4 cups water
2 ham hocks
2 medium onions, cut into 3/4" cubes
3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
3 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 large potatoes with the skin on, cut into 3/4" cubes
a few shakes of salt and pepper (the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper if you want to get technical.)

1. Combine the split peas, beer and water in a large pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour...stir once in a while.
2. Add the ham hocks, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, and salt/pepper. Simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the ham hocks from the soup and cut the meat off the bone. Return the meat to the soup and serve.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
yum!

check with your local Honey Baked Ham store. they sell the bones from the hams they cut up for sandwiches. use that instead of a ham hock.

you wont be disappointed. the ham bone is about $4 for two huge meaty bones.
oh, and bring it all to a simmer on the stovetop, and pop the (ovensafe) pan into the oven at 350. no stirring needed, and the split pea soup will be creamier.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
yum!

check with your local Honey Baked Ham store. they sell the bones from the hams they cut up for sandwiches. use that instead of a ham hock.

you wont be disappointed. the ham bone is about $4 for two huge meaty bones.
oh, and bring it all to a simmer on the stovetop, and pop the (ovensafe) pan into the oven at 350. no stirring needed, and the split pea soup will be creamier.
That's a great idea...unfortionatly the closest Honey Baked Ham store is around 150 miles away (the town I live in is kinda in the middle of nowhere.) I'll try asking the local butcher...thanks!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
York1 is on a distinguished road
York1's Tacoma Gallery
I never thought to use beer. My recipe is similar to yours. I am so trying it with beer on my next day off
Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my old man neighbor is sick. hospitalized with pneumonia. he got home, so i whipped up a huge pot of SPS. my home smells amazing. i took them half of the pot so they wouldnt need to cook.

pics later if i remember.