Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Pink Slime

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Im a breatharian. I dont even eat food, i just walk around with my mouth open. But seriously I do fire protection systems and we do quite a few McD's in the area. Ive seen burgers come out from behind grills and other equipment that has been there for who knows how long only to look maybe an hour old. Trust me it was several months at least. Isn't true that the FDA doesn't even regulate the use of the term "organic" or something like that?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
After having had installed a suspended ceiling in a lunch meat manufacturing plant many years ago, i'm pretty selective regarding eating 'meat' with air bubbles.

Pertaining to the Slim Jim wrapper read while waiting in line at the grocery store, i am fine with having never witnessed the process that brings you 'mechanically separated chicken'...l
Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
can't really raise my own cow though
---->insert getting married joke<-----
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I just grind up beef roasts for MY burger, and I work in the industry. Go to any grocery store and ask and they will do this for you. But i ask you all now that you know does it really make that much of a diffrence? We all grew up eatting this crap and untill it was brought to life that it became a focus.. I will most likley get chastised for that comment but, the old saying ... "what you dont know wont hurt you" comes to mind granted the USA as a whole consumes way too much processed foods and we need to get back to healthy foods. As a side note i'm married to a health inspector so it really sucks for me. She is always in work mode even at home
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #45
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
forgot to post my link.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi230135833/
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard anything about that stuff getting into the ground beef supply sold in grocery chains-has anyone else? I was in the meat business till I retired in 2010. Up till then folks, I can tell you that at Safeway we used much higher inspection standards for all our beef including hamburger. The stuff used in fast food joints is one or two notches up the inspection grades from petfeed. From what I recall it went
USDA utility-canned stuff and petfeed
USDA inspected/passed-fast food and passable in some grocery chains
USDA select-I believe Safeway pioneered this grade-is just under and in my experience, sometimes better than choice-this is all Safeway beef grade including burger.
USDA choice-everyone knows this
USDA prime-only will find this in upscale restaurants, never in a store.

I can assure you, unless they went downhill since I left (I do have that effect lol) you are NOT getting the pink stuff at the grocery store-at least not Safeway.
Guys-Safeway was very strict and raise their OWN cattle. I dug that when I worked for them.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I haven't heard anything about that stuff getting into the ground beef supply sold in grocery chains-has anyone else? I was in the meat business till I retired in 2010. Up till then folks, I can tell you that at Safeway we used much higher inspection standards for all our beef including hamburger. The stuff used in fast food joints is one or two notches up the inspection grades from petfeed. From what I recall it went
USDA utility-canned stuff and petfeed
USDA inspected/passed-fast food and passable in some grocery chains
USDA select-I believe Safeway pioneered this grade-is just under and in my experience, sometimes better than choice-this is all Safeway beef grade including burger.
USDA choice-everyone knows this
USDA prime-only will find this in upscale restaurants, never in a store.

I can assure you, unless they went downhill since I left (I do have that effect lol) you are NOT getting the pink stuff at the grocery store-at least not Safeway.
Guys-Safeway was very strict and raise their OWN cattle. I dug that when I worked for them.
In my years in the meat industry ( 28 yrs.) my knowledge of the grades of beef went as follows. ( lowest to highest )
Utility (bull meat as we called it)
No roll (not good enough to be graded)
Select (typicaly leaner than choice not as tender)
Choice ( there are 3 grades, 1 being closet to prime)
Prime ( prefect marble, and softest texture )
the chain i work for does sell prime beef also
Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #48
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Per USDA website

{"USDA Grades for Meat and Poultry

Beef
Beef is graded as whole carcasses in two ways:
  • quality grades - for tenderness, juiciness, and flavor; and
  • yield grades - for the amount of usable lean meat on the carcass. There are eight quality grades for beef. Quality grades are based on the amount of marbling (flecks of fat within the lean), color, and maturity.
Quality Grades:
  • Prime grade is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking (broiling, roasting, or grilling).
  • Choice grade is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are, like Prime, suited to dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts, such as those from the rump, round, and blade chuck, can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if "braised" — roasted, or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.
  • Select grade is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts (loin, rib, sirloin) should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and flavor.
  • Standard and Commercial grades – are frequently sold as ungraded or as "store brand" meat.
  • Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades are seldom, if ever, sold at retail but are used instead to make ground beef and processed products.
Yield grades
range from "1" to "5" and indicate the amount of usable meat from a carcass. Yield grade 1 is the highest grade and denotes the greatest ratio of lean to fat; yield grade 5 is the lowest yield ratio. Yield grade is most useful when purchasing a side or carcass of beef for the freezer."}

Meatman-what chain do you work for? Also-wouldn't you agree that the 'pink slime' never makes it to the grocery stores?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #49
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
"Utility" pretty much describes the canned beef the Army used to feed us: parts, beef, utility grade.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #50
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
I just grind up beef roasts for MY burger, and I work in the industry. Go to any grocery store and ask and they will do this for you. But i ask you all now that you know does it really make that much of a diffrence? We all grew up eatting this crap and untill it was brought to life that it became a focus.. I will most likley get chastised for that comment but, the old saying ... "what you dont know wont hurt you" comes to mind granted the USA as a whole consumes way too much processed foods and we need to get back to healthy foods. As a side note i'm married to a health inspector so it really sucks for me. She is always in work mode even at home
I may have grown up eating it but I didn't know any better. Since I do now I am going to watch it maybe what we didn't know has hurt us
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #51

My advice to customers-find a RELIABLE and FRIENDLY meat guy who you know will not get pissed off at a special request (the lazy ones will) if you prefer extra lean burger..and whenever top round (london broils) is on sale-have him grind it for you (should not charge for courtesy) or top sirloin. Also like Meatman said, when crossrib, boneless chuck roasts are on sale-grab one and have it ground up as well. This way you know without a doubt you got sirloin, round or chuck.
Usually the head guy in whatever shop you go to will be the go-to guy in the special request case
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #52
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Ridgerunner,
I do totaly agree that the pink slime has never made it to the grocery stores that i have worked for! I started out working 13 yrs. for Publix in south fl. and moved to the mountains and worked for a IGA for 9 yrs. and at my current employer Ingles for 6 yrs. and never saw the "slime". I do think that we do eat too much that we dont know enough about and the effects it has on our bodies.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Ridgerunner,
I do totaly agree that the pink slime has never made it to the grocery stores that i have worked for! I started out working 13 yrs. for Publix in south fl. and moved to the mountains and worked for a IGA for 9 yrs. and at my current employer Ingles for 6 yrs. and never saw the "slime". I do think that we do eat too much that we dont know enough about and the effects it has on our bodies.
Cool-good to know I have a 'brother in beef' out here
I worked in my dad's meat shop in Illinois from 11-15 years old. Family business back then meant no such thing as 'child labor laws'
then from 16-19 years old, various jobs from steakhouses to bagboy to driving truck, to long-distance operator at ATT
then 30 years in Safeway meat business.
I'm 51. Never stopped working till 2010 when I became permanently disabled.
Put in almost 39 of my 51 years-gees! Did my time I guess lol
...and you know Meatman how miserable and cold that job is!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
I deal with dead animals

meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Cool-good to know I have a 'brother in beef' out here
I worked in my dad's meat shop in Illinois from 11-15 years old. Family business back then meant no such thing as 'child labor laws'
then from 16-19 years old, various jobs from steakhouses to bagboy to driving truck, to long-distance operator at ATT
then 30 years in Safeway meat business.
I'm 51. Never stopped working till 2010 when I became permanently disabled.
Put in almost 39 of my 51 years-gees! Did my time I guess lol
...and you know Meatman how miserable and cold that job is!
All i got to say is DAMN hell of a career! And hell ya another brethren My knees and hands feel just the 28yrs. already and what is up with the the child labor laws anyway? lol I'm 45 right now and this is all i've really done
Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #56
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
They had a story on the SLIME on ABC news. The slime is in beef too and with beef aparantly its an additive composed of beef "product" and amonia. They said certain grocery chains don't carry beef with slime, those were cosco, publix, wholefoods, HEB cant remember what else. Walmart of course wouldn't comment.

We've all probaly been eating it for years and we may not see any side effects, but we might see them in our kids, or other health problems that may occur. Theres a documentary thats pretty good about what we eat, i cant remember the name.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #57
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
They had a story on the SLIME on ABC news. The slime is in beef too and with beef aparantly its an additive composed of beef "product" and amonia. They said certain grocery chains don't carry beef with slime, those were cosco, publix, wholefoods, HEB cant remember what else. Walmart of course wouldn't comment.

We've all probaly been eating it for years and we may not see any side effects, but we might see them in our kids, or other health problems that may occur. Theres a documentary thats pretty good about what we eat, i cant remember the name.

it's really hard telling what walmart puts in their hamburger and meat in general. Walmart has really become quite the crap hole.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #58
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
School systems, in conjunction with the US government, have been using slime meat in their school lunch programs. You might want to look into this if your kid's nutrition is of concern to you.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03...ink-slime-1-3/
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
School systems, in conjunction with the US government, have been using slime meat in their school lunch programs. You might want to look into this if your kid's nutrition is of concern to you.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03...ink-slime-1-3/

can't give kids oreo cookies because they aren't healthy enough but load em up full of dog food and we are all happy.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #60
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I like how the fast food places are stopping the use of it because the word is out and they're afraid of people boycotting their stores BUT the stores will continue using it and they'll keep feeding it to the kids at school. How the fuck is this setting an example for what we don't want other countries doing to food they send here? I would say ground pork and turkey from now on but WTF goes in that shit? Up to 15% allowed in 70% of all ground beef sold. Fucked up shit.