LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Pink Slime

Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #61
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
I would not assume that ground anything, turkey, pork, chicken is any "safer" than the beef. Who knows what color slime they use in those products. Filler is filler - if the concept worked for one, you can bet it worked for the others.

As others have said, get it ground up while you wait. If they won't do it, tell them they're not real butchers and take your business elsewhere. Buy local meats as much as possible. Support the local farmers. The bulk beef producers would love to put em out of business. Don't let that happen.

As for organic beef, I prefer it. It costs more of course. But I'd rather pay for good food than for medicine later, but it doesn't always have to be organic. Grass fed is prime, for me. The idea of cattle standing in muddy e-coli loaded shit stalls all day while eating corn is not where I want my beef to come from. They get an ass load of meds due to those conditions. Cows eat grass and will be virtually e-coli free by doing so. Eating grass means they have to move across a pasture to do so. Grass fed doesn't have to be labeled organic though. Grass fed is what the the generations grew up on. E-coli and beef recalls never made the headlines back then like it does today, where a load of beef can come from thousands of different cows from who knows where.

EDIT: Oh, and before I forget, you'd be shocked at the "lesser" countries that require their beef products be labeled if if has fillers, etc, whereas here in the USA, we don't have to stick a label on it. The beef producers say that would confuse and scare the public. In other words, "don't worry people, we will control you, so STFU and eat your slime." The people in power are all in pocket. They move from the front offices of the producers into the government, where they then open the door for the corporation to move it's product through w/o delay. You think you get a control point from the USDA, until you see who runs the USDA. I'd love to see how much pink slime beef they enjoy at a cookout. How else can you explain that they can add chemicals to the beef to clean it up, but not label that as an ingredient, because well, technically, it's not an ingredient, it's a process! Mmmmmm! "Ammonium Hydroxide - it's what's for dinner!" Nah - that'd never have gone over too well with the consumers. Best not to confuse nor frighten them. re: Us. Me. You.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #62
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
can't really raise my own cow though
Actually, you can. You can buy a share at a farm. Based on what you pay for, you get product accordingly. Nothing hard about that. Pay a framer to sell you some beef. All you need to do is store it in a deep freezer.

Google "CSA" and go from there.

You have to put some effort into it. If you want it easy, they'll be glad to hook you to a feeding tube. For cheap too. Do you want the blue pill or the red pill?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #63
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Like I said, we used to eat beef that the local grocer would just buy from a local rancher then butcher himself. However, when the government told him he couldn't do so anymore my Dad just went in halves with a rancher he knew on a beef and had it prepared at a small local packing house. Check with a small local packer that is geared toward putting up deer or elk -- they might be able to arrange to process a locally-raised side of beef for you.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #64
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo7 View Post
The people in power are all in pocket. They move from the front offices of the producers into the government, where they then open the door for the corporation to move it's product through w/o delay. You think you get a control point from the USDA, until you see who runs the USDA.
The bitch that OK'd the slime use headed up USDA then quit and got job on the board of one of the slime makin companies without waiting the legal timeframe to do so. So it goes the opposite way too. Get in government, do shady shit and get million dollar job from the companies that benefit from the dirty work done while in government position.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #65
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I haven't heard anything about that stuff getting into the ground beef supply sold in grocery chains-has anyone else? I was in the meat business till I retired in 2010. Up till then folks, I can tell you that at Safeway we used much higher inspection standards for all our beef including hamburger. The stuff used in fast food joints is one or two notches up the inspection grades from petfeed. From what I recall it went
USDA utility-canned stuff and petfeed
USDA inspected/passed-fast food and passable in some grocery chains
USDA select-I believe Safeway pioneered this grade-is just under and in my experience, sometimes better than choice-this is all Safeway beef grade including burger.
USDA choice-everyone knows this
USDA prime-only will find this in upscale restaurants, never in a store.

I can assure you, unless they went downhill since I left (I do have that effect lol) you are NOT getting the pink stuff at the grocery store-at least not Safeway.
Guys-Safeway was very strict and raise their OWN cattle. I dug that when I worked for them.
Thought you might find this interesting.. seems Safeway does use pink slime.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/201...%99s-the-list/
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #66
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks like Costco for me.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #67
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
The bitch that OK'd the slime use headed up USDA then quit and got job on the board of one of the slime makin companies without waiting the legal timeframe to do so. So it goes the opposite way too. Get in government, do shady shit and get million dollar job from the companies that benefit from the dirty work done while in government position.
What do you expect from a govt that claims pizza is a veggie? Too many shit bags runnign the show. Most of the people that fucked up the economy now work for the fed. UFB.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #68
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure I ate some slime for breakfast, egg mcmuffin, not bad.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #69
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
http://news.yahoo.com/safeway-superv...-abc-news.html
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #70
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
wow I never was made aware of that when I was working for Safeway-I wonder if this slime stuff started after I retired in June 2010. I never saw it myself.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #71
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
What do you expect from a govt that claims pizza is a veggie? Too many shit bags runnign the show. Most of the people that fucked up the economy now work for the fed. UFB.
There is so much that goes into what you say here-I agree. The long standing standards and best practices and common sense and good old wisdom are out the window now. All that's left now is CYA and greed.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Thought you might find this interesting.. seems Safeway does use pink slime.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/201...%99s-the-list/
Sorry Jasmine-haven't been in here in awhile-yeah sorry to see that. Greed. Period. I know this cause the profit margin on burger was HUGE far as meat profits go.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #73
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
If taco bell wasnt on the list for pink slime, Id hate to know what the fuck they're using.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #74
Isaiasgon is on a distinguished road
Isaiasgon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
I will be making my burgers with local beef at the cafe

That pink slime is some nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyy chit !

Isnt this pink slim what McDonalds make their chicken nuggets?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #75
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
For those who are freaking out over Ammonium Hydroxide:
http://beefproducts.com/ammonium_hydroxide.php

There's more of it in the bread and condiments of your burger than in the burger meat itself.

And it isn't "soaked" in it. It's a gas.