1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pink Slime

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by coffeesnob, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Whats everyone's thoughts on the pink slime they are putting into hamburger. I think I am buying organic from now on and just eat less of it. I don't want my body full of amonium hydroxide.:(

2. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Yeah I'd say that's a good option. Not ready to go veg but my wife is a nutritionist and I've read way to much to enjoy my old diet.

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Fish on Friday during lent for this guy. Hamburger and sausage are now both full of parts.

4. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    old news. didnt mcdonalds say they stopped using it back in august of last year?

I dont eat mcdonalds so im not concerned.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    I will be making my burgers with local beef at the cafe :)

That pink slime is some nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyy chit !

[​IMG]

6. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Nasty shit. Best way to avoid it is to grind your own meat.

7. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Is there any story posted for this? I want to get informed.. lol

8. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    im sure there is a youtube vid somewhere that cost like a million bucks to make and has a sweet soundtrack

9. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Tastes fine to me. :notsure:

10. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    FrankNasti

FrankNasti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Anywhere the Army tells my wife to go.
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Forester
    The toddler and baby seat mod.
  11. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I eat hamburger that's ground at a local store. I was invited to a cookout though a couple of years ago where someone used Wal-Mart ground "beef." Nobody said anything but no matter how much ketchup and mustard you put on those burgers you still knew you were eating crap.

12. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I work for the Department of Ag and while I don't do much with the actual processed portion of the meat and food, I do see a huge differance between 'organic' and 'natural' or local.

I think the biggest thing is knowing where your food comes from. IMHO, just mine, organic is a load of BS, organic farmers are some of the worst farmers out there. They think that just because something is 'organic' or 'green' means that it causes zero harm. What they don't realize that even an organic compound can be harmful once it meets a certain threashold, no differant than anything else. My father in law and I raise beef and ocassionally hogs, we process our own venison, and all that. We're not organic, we'll give a sick calf some anti-biotics if and only if it needs it, but we're local, and consider ourselves pretty 'natural'

So, just my .02c and not trying to offend anyone. Don't buy into the big prices of organic just to avoid the pink slime, you can easily get something not filled with pink slime that won't kill you at a much cheaper price by just looking at local farmers.

13. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    my wife and I started eating turkey burgers. The perdue ones are REALLY good, and I assume there is no pink slime in them.

Oh and watch this one too.....

14. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    I really try to follow the 100 mile diet. Having worked with MDA for nearly 9 years I've come to know most of the farmers in my area and like to support them. This really helps to make sure I'm getting clean fruits and vegetables and healthy meat, all while supporting my local economy.

15. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    agreed. I'm pretty big into gardening and the mis-use of the word "organic" just drives me crazy. Read below:

"There is a conflict between definitions and scientific facts. The problem is that “organic” is not defined by ecologists or scientists – it is defined by bureaucrats, by government functionaries who often don’t have a clue what they are talking about from a purely scientific point of view and are often making decisions for special interest groups including organizations that put up a lot of money to twist the rules in their favor. ‘Organic’ has become big business.

The rules that define ‘organic’ vary from place to place. European rules that define ‘organic’ are significantly different from the rules in the United States. Canada has its own rules and many states in the US have different rules. Within the United States there is the NOP (National Organic Program) from the US department of Agriculture, there is OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute), there is CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers) to name a few… and there are many more regulatory groups. Their rules are not the same and their definitions are not scientific. They tend to be well meaning, non-scientific, closed minded groups that ‘know better’ and will apply their views to all who wish to use the term to make money.

On the other hand, when “organic” is looked at scientifically it’s really about protecting the environment and making more wholesome products – that’s what it should mean. But the bureaucrats and special interest groups have set different definitions. Fortunes are being made by companies selling weak and often ineffective products, and sometimes even harmful products, to a largely uneducated marketplace.

As a scientist I find value in both mineral and organic ingredients – and I am really looking at products from the point of view of what works better; what grows plants better, what gives customers higher quality and larger yields and what reduces the strain on the planet. That may or may not be ‘organic.’

Fundamental to the US ‘organic’ regulations is that purified ingredients cannot be used to make fertilizers; all ingredients need to be in their natural form … with some exceptions passed for special interests. This has led to some ‘organic’ ingredients having high levels of ‘heavy metals’ and sometimes pathogenic organisms such as E. coli and salmonella bacteria (this happens with mined ingredients and poorly composted materials that contain manures or other dead animal ingredients). If the poisons are removed, the product is no longer ‘organic.’ I consider this completely absurd.

One positive note is that fertilizer regulations in many places now require manufacturers to have their products tested for ‘heavy metals.’ This is a case where the rules provide the consumer some measure of protection from dangerous produce. I find that many state regulations for fertilizers are in fact very good rules offering the consumer assurance of product quality and consistency. Many of the state regulators I have worked with for years consider the ‘organic’ rules absurd. Nonetheless, rules are rules and regulators must apply the rules whether they like them or not, that’s their job. For more info see: www.aapfco.org.

I’m in my 32nd year in this business and I take the word “organic” very seriously. I’ve worked very hard in the field of modern plant growing technologies, always from a scientific point of view. If ‘organic’ was always based on good science and consistently resulted in better and healthier produce, faster growth rates and higher yields, as well as less impact on soil and water, I would be much happier about the definitions."

-taken from here

16. Mar 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    A farm can be certified organic and use 80% of the pesticides used on a typical non-organic farm.

'green' is my favorite un-defined term that everyone uses.

17. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

:eek:

18. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    hahahahhahha. This..

19. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I don't care what it's made out of as long as it tastes good.

20. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    gooch14

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:

that pink slime will fuck up your day

Products Discussed in

To Top