Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Pink Slime

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Pink Slime

Whats everyone's thoughts on the pink slime they are putting into hamburger. I think I am buying organic from now on and just eat less of it. I don't want my body full of amonium hydroxide.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'd say that's a good option. Not ready to go veg but my wife is a nutritionist and I've read way to much to enjoy my old diet.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Fish on Friday during lent for this guy. Hamburger and sausage are now both full of parts.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
old news. didnt mcdonalds say they stopped using it back in august of last year?

I dont eat mcdonalds so im not concerned.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
I will be making my burgers with local beef at the cafe

That pink slime is some nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyy chit !

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any story posted for this? I want to get informed.. lol
Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
Is there any story posted for this? I want to get informed.. lol
im sure there is a youtube vid somewhere that cost like a million bucks to make and has a sweet soundtrack
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Tastes fine to me.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
FrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the roughFrankNasti is a jewel in the rough

Name: Frank
FrankNasti's Tacoma Gallery
This documentary offers some insight. I started buying organic after this, especially after the ammonia bit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I eat hamburger that's ground at a local store. I was invited to a cookout though a couple of years ago where someone used Wal-Mart ground "beef." Nobody said anything but no matter how much ketchup and mustard you put on those burgers you still knew you were eating crap.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,1330346.story

I wonder if Jamie Oliver was more upset that it was trimmings "that no one wants", or that it is sprayed with ammonia solution to kill off bacteria? Can't tell if they took his quote out of context.

I guess the big thing is that no one was surprised fast food chains have always used it (which I thought people knew), but no one was aware that it is used in allegedly 70% of US processed ground beef.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I work for the Department of Ag and while I don't do much with the actual processed portion of the meat and food, I do see a huge differance between 'organic' and 'natural' or local.

I think the biggest thing is knowing where your food comes from. IMHO, just mine, organic is a load of BS, organic farmers are some of the worst farmers out there. They think that just because something is 'organic' or 'green' means that it causes zero harm. What they don't realize that even an organic compound can be harmful once it meets a certain threashold, no differant than anything else. My father in law and I raise beef and ocassionally hogs, we process our own venison, and all that. We're not organic, we'll give a sick calf some anti-biotics if and only if it needs it, but we're local, and consider ourselves pretty 'natural'

So, just my .02c and not trying to offend anyone. Don't buy into the big prices of organic just to avoid the pink slime, you can easily get something not filled with pink slime that won't kill you at a much cheaper price by just looking at local farmers.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
my wife and I started eating turkey burgers. The perdue ones are REALLY good, and I assume there is no pink slime in them.

Oh and watch this one too.....
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I just eat. I will look at ingredients now and if it says mechanically separated anything I will usually bypass it if I can. Hot Dogs(the non penis type) are delicious though.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I really try to follow the 100 mile diet. Having worked with MDA for nearly 9 years I've come to know most of the farmers in my area and like to support them. This really helps to make sure I'm getting clean fruits and vegetables and healthy meat, all while supporting my local economy.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch14 View Post
I work for the Department of Ag and while I don't do much with the actual processed portion of the meat and food, I do see a huge differance between 'organic' and 'natural' or local.

I think the biggest thing is knowing where your food comes from. IMHO, just mine, organic is a load of BS, organic farmers are some of the worst farmers out there. They think that just because something is 'organic' or 'green' means that it causes zero harm. What they don't realize that even an organic compound can be harmful once it meets a certain threashold, no differant than anything else. My father in law and I raise beef and ocassionally hogs, we process our own venison, and all that. We're not organic, we'll give a sick calf some anti-biotics if and only if it needs it, but we're local, and consider ourselves pretty 'natural'

So, just my .02c and not trying to offend anyone. Don't buy into the big prices of organic just to avoid the pink slime, you can easily get something not filled with pink slime that won't kill you at a much cheaper price by just looking at local farmers.
agreed. I'm pretty big into gardening and the mis-use of the word "organic" just drives me crazy. Read below:

"There is a conflict between definitions and scientific facts. The problem is that “organic” is not defined by ecologists or scientists – it is defined by bureaucrats, by government functionaries who often don’t have a clue what they are talking about from a purely scientific point of view and are often making decisions for special interest groups including organizations that put up a lot of money to twist the rules in their favor. ‘Organic’ has become big business.

The rules that define ‘organic’ vary from place to place. European rules that define ‘organic’ are significantly different from the rules in the United States. Canada has its own rules and many states in the US have different rules. Within the United States there is the NOP (National Organic Program) from the US department of Agriculture, there is OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute), there is CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers) to name a few… and there are many more regulatory groups. Their rules are not the same and their definitions are not scientific. They tend to be well meaning, non-scientific, closed minded groups that ‘know better’ and will apply their views to all who wish to use the term to make money.

On the other hand, when “organic” is looked at scientifically it’s really about protecting the environment and making more wholesome products – that’s what it should mean. But the bureaucrats and special interest groups have set different definitions. Fortunes are being made by companies selling weak and often ineffective products, and sometimes even harmful products, to a largely uneducated marketplace.

As a scientist I find value in both mineral and organic ingredients – and I am really looking at products from the point of view of what works better; what grows plants better, what gives customers higher quality and larger yields and what reduces the strain on the planet. That may or may not be ‘organic.’

Fundamental to the US ‘organic’ regulations is that purified ingredients cannot be used to make fertilizers; all ingredients need to be in their natural form … with some exceptions passed for special interests. This has led to some ‘organic’ ingredients having high levels of ‘heavy metals’ and sometimes pathogenic organisms such as E. coli and salmonella bacteria (this happens with mined ingredients and poorly composted materials that contain manures or other dead animal ingredients). If the poisons are removed, the product is no longer ‘organic.’ I consider this completely absurd.

One positive note is that fertilizer regulations in many places now require manufacturers to have their products tested for ‘heavy metals.’ This is a case where the rules provide the consumer some measure of protection from dangerous produce. I find that many state regulations for fertilizers are in fact very good rules offering the consumer assurance of product quality and consistency. Many of the state regulators I have worked with for years consider the ‘organic’ rules absurd. Nonetheless, rules are rules and regulators must apply the rules whether they like them or not, that’s their job. For more info see: www.aapfco.org.

I’m in my 32nd year in this business and I take the word “organic” very seriously. I’ve worked very hard in the field of modern plant growing technologies, always from a scientific point of view. If ‘organic’ was always based on good science and consistently resulted in better and healthier produce, faster growth rates and higher yields, as well as less impact on soil and water, I would be much happier about the definitions."

-taken from here
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #18

gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
A farm can be certified organic and use 80% of the pesticides used on a typical non-organic farm.

'green' is my favorite un-defined term that everyone uses.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I just eat Hot Dogs(the penis type) are delicious.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Tastes fine to me.
hahahahhahha. This..