Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

restaurant/coupon etiquette

Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #21
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
The food looks great dude totally use the groupons, u r bringing business to his place and I am sure u tell people about his restaurant.
Yes sir, all of the time. I appreciate the input!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #22
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the place? http://www.corkbistro.com/

I'll have to put that on my list the next time we head that way. Food looks great!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #23
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I have managed restaurants, big chains and mom and pop's, just like blackhawke said, as a friend he should be offering you a discount anyway, if he is not then you have every right to use the groupons. No matter the sales the store does, they should have some sort of budget or amount they can write off. If they are a good restaurant (which it looks and sounds like it) that amount will be higher because, well they are successful and making money. If you are a good friend, he should be discounting your food already. That being said, everyone I knew that would come in, weren't what I would consider a good friend.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #24
skiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shedskiracer0112 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
skiracer0112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Only the best. I splurged - I usually go for the Old Millwaukee (not kidding, either).

It is called Cork and their hook is wine, which I know fills their pocket as well more than the food. They do have very good beers, too, but I'm a meat and potatoes (and cheap beer) type of guy. The GF usually racks up a few glasses of decent wine though to balance my simpleton self out.

Thanks for the reassurance!
The majority of restaurants mark up their booze much more than their food, booze is usually 40-60% sometimes even more and food is generally priced at a 23%-40% mark up over cost including labor and overhead.

While a lot of the sites like Groupon or other online sites do take a commission out of the sales the restaurant is still being compensated for the coupon, plus they expect that you will buy more than the value of the deal. And also hopefully they will get repeat business from how much you enjoyed your visit. I'm of the opinion that if he is a good enough friend that you are concerned about using something like Groupon that he should be giving you a discount of at least the amount on the Groupon voucher. I would say go for it if you're not getting a discount already.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo7 View Post
Is this the place? http://www.corkbistro.com/

I'll have to put that on my list the next time we head that way. Food looks great!
Yip, yip. You got it! Do you live around Charleston (the place is in North Charleston)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
I have managed restaurants, big chains and mom and pop's, just like blackhawke said, as a friend he should be offering you a discount anyway, if he is not then you have every right to use the groupons. No matter the sales the store does, they should have some sort of budget or amount they can write off. If they are a good restaurant (which it looks and sounds like it) that amount will be higher because, well they are successful and making money. If you are a good friend, he should be discounting your food already. That being said, everyone I knew that would come in, weren't what I would consider a good friend.
I've had plenty of comped drinks/desserts/apps in there over the past few years. The neighborhood I live in is very tight knit, so everybody knows everybody...he would go under if he gave everybody he knows a discount. We don't get to hang out like we did before he bought the business, had kids, etc., so we aren't exactly "best buds." Just good friends.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #26

Thanks again everyone. As I said, we aren't blood brothers or anything but still...you know, I just wanted to make sure I'm not being a DB.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I always tip as though it was the full bill
This. Send your other friends and pass on word mouth.