Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

restaurant/coupon etiquette

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
restaurant/coupon etiquette

Hey all - A friend of mine owns a bistro in my neighborhood with incredible food. It is not cheap ($25+) for the upper eschelon entrees, without salad...anyway, I support his establishment as often as I can. He constantly offers groupons at essentially 50% off ($25 gets you $50).

Is it cool to use these in a friend's place? I essentially go there twice as often with these coupons as I could afford otherwise (and I don't always use them, just intermittently). When I have the groupons, I'll generally tip at least 50% of the prediscounted bill (say $25-$30 for the server or bartender if we chose to eat at the bar), so the staff is generously compensated.

Any of you owners? What say you?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
No owner, but I say if he's a friend and you're returning the discount in a generous tip...why not!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to be a cheapskate, but I truly can't afford his place as often as I'd like to.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
hell If my friend had a restaurant I'd be eating there for free
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Buzzard.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Thanks. He is too polite to say otherwise when I asked him about this.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I always tip as though it was the full bill
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I always tip as though it was the full bill
Yeah, me too...and I quite often tip around 50% no matter where I am.

Tipping on the full tab is common sense, but common sense ain't too common.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Yeah, me too...and I quite often tip around 50% no matter where I am.

Tipping on the full tab is common sense, but common sense ain't too common.
50%?!?! Are they giving you blowjobs under the table? Are you tipping on the tax, too? How can you even afford to eat out?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
50%?!?! Are they giving you blowjobs under the table? Are you tipping on the tax, too? How can you even afford to eat out?
BJs get 100%, HJs get 75%, good service gets 50%...but I ALWAYS get good service when I go back to places because I tip 50%.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
BJs get 100% for swallowing, 90% for spitting, HJs get 75%, good service gets 50%...but I ALWAYS get good service when I go back to places because I tip 50%.
FTFY
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
FTFW
They surely enjoy my big tip, too.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #14

Here is what I had last Saturday - washed it down with a can (or 2) of Schlitz (no joke):

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
GO JETS GO
LMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shedLMR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
LMR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
50%?!?! Are they giving you blowjobs under the table?
Reminds me of Reservoir Dogs
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
They serve Schlitz at a restaurant that has entrées for $25+? Thats hilarious.

I work at a nicer restaurant and am more than happy when the servers get a tip in the 15% range. We do have lots of tourists, but a good mix of locals too.

If your buddy signed up for the groupon deal, you should not feel bad at all that you use the service he signed up for. When it comes to restaurants, its asses in the seats and turnover that matter. If he smart, he marks everything up 3 times what he paid. This is very common. Hell he probably made more of those two Schiltz's you drank than the food LOL.

Its all about word of mouth too. The more you are talking about how great the service is and how amazing the food was and that they have Schlitz the more people will try it. If he can get repeat customers off a groupon he's happy.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
The food looks great dude totally use the groupons, u r bringing business to his place and I am sure u tell people about his restaurant.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
hell If my friend had a restaurant I'd be eating there for free
Shut Up! I'll be setting up my coffee supplier account soon. Since the espresso machines aren't hooked up, i can't pull espresso, no no beans right now. My sample batch is all gone now.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtydru View Post
They serve Schlitz at a restaurant that has entrées for $25+? Thats hilarious.

I work at a nicer restaurant and am more than happy when the servers get a tip in the 15% range. We do have lots of tourists, but a good mix of locals too.

If your buddy signed up for the groupon deal, you should not feel bad at all that you use the service he signed up for. When it comes to restaurants, its asses in the seats and turnover that matter. If he smart, he marks everything up 3 times what he paid. This is very common. Hell he probably made more of those two Schiltz's you drank than the food LOL.

Its all about word of mouth too. The more you are talking about how great the service is and how amazing the food was and that they have Schlitz the more people will try it. If he can get repeat customers off a groupon he's happy.
Only the best. I splurged - I usually go for the Old Millwaukee (not kidding, either).

It is called Cork and their hook is wine, which I know fills their pocket as well more than the food. They do have very good beers, too, but I'm a meat and potatoes (and cheap beer) type of guy. The GF usually racks up a few glasses of decent wine though to balance my simpleton self out.

Thanks for the reassurance!