Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

beef brisket recipe

Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
beef brisket recipe

I need a good method for beef brisket on the smoker.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I've only done one, but I used my pork shoulder recipe/technique and it worked really well.
  1. Buy a brisket
  2. Buy a canned dry rub that doesn't have sugar as the first ingredient.
  3. Take it out of the package, rinse it in water well and then pat dry w/paper towels
  4. Slather on a thin layer of yellow mustard and liberally coat with the rub
  5. Smoke fat-side down at 225 - 250 for around 1 hr/lb
  6. Double-wrap in foil tightly then bake in an oven at 210 until the internal temp is 190 or so. This will take a few more hours probably.
  7. Take it out and let it rest for at least an hour.
My first and only attempt:

Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I've only done one, but I used my pork shoulder recipe/technique and it worked really well.
  1. Buy a brisket
  2. Buy a canned dry rub that doesn't have sugar as the first ingredient.
  3. Take it out of the package, rinse it in water well and then pat dry w/paper towels
  4. Slather on a thin layer of yellow mustard and liberally coat with the rub
  5. Smoke fat-side down at 225 - 250 for around 1 hr/lb
  6. Double-wrap in foil tightly then bake in an oven at 210 until the internal temp is 190 or so. This will take a few more hours probably.
  7. Take it out and let it rest for at least an hour.
My first and only attempt:

looks yummy
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty good lookin first try there..........
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
Polymer Head, why do you smoke it fat side down. I thought that you would want fat side up so that the fat would leak through the entire slab of brisket??
I used to smoke shoulders fat side up for that very reason. Then I realized one time that at 190 or so, the fat renders and disappears. The top surface of the meat is where the best, smokiest "bark" develops. If that's where your layer of fat sits, then you eventually cook it all away along with the bark. If you don't cook it that long, your bark is still on top of a layer of fat and it all sloughs off when you pull the meat.

A second reason is that when you cook the fat layer down, it's another buffer between the heat source and the meat if you're using a vertical smoker. Sometimes mine will spike 50 degrees if a particularly large chunk of smokewood ignites, and I like that layer of fat there to keep the meat from drying out or even burning from too much direct heat. Low and slow is the goal.

I know cooks who prefer it both ways, but fat side down is best in my opinion. If you're using a waterpan, drynss shouldn't be an issue, especially with pork. Fat placement may not matter as much with brisket, i dunno.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
That Brisket is looking really good
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to call my dad in the morning and get our recipe. Here's a pic.

Or two.

Pre-Cooking.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those sandwiches look good. I am hungry now....
As am I. I just got out the gym and just thinking about that soft, warm, pink, buttery, grass fed, juicy, succulent inside and burnt, crispy, flavorful outside goodness has me drooling right now.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #17

Warhorse, those look amazing!

Tough - my wood smoker stabilizes between 225 and 250. Works great for shoulders and seems to work for brisket as well. An hour per lb is a good guide but a digital meat thermometer is your best friend.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Sorry we are thread jacking a bit...

quite all right I'm all ears...