1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Polymerhead, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Oct 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Very good job on those briskets. I am thinking about getting a new bigger smoker but right now I am happy with my brinkmann vertical smoker. I have definitely gotten good at it and I am going to experiment some more.

2. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    jc..

my buddy in texas has one of those KLOSE pro smokers..the thing is a beast. he drilled a hole in the lid and added a spray nozzle. he as a timer he rigged up to spray water on on the side of the fire box to steam up. it works great. last time i talked to him, we was working on a blower motor to spray air on the coals..the man is crazy.

3. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Brisket looks good, JC! I'm surprised you're able to get a 15lb packer cooked in 8 hours though at 220...I've taken them as long as 16 hours. But I'm no expert like you...I've only done 2 or 3 in my Weber, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Going to do a full packer for Christmas this year though, so we will see how it goes.

I always forget to take pictures of my BBQ and put it on here, even though I always say I will. Just this weekend I did a 9 lb pork butt and 5 lb chicken, both were great, although not the best I've ever done.

4. Oct 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Couple of quick questions for you guys:

1. Does anyone using an electric smoker have a hard time getting up to temp on cooler days, like around 40 (F)?

2. In a charcoal smoker which is better, briquets or lump? I've heard of using both but would ask which is easier to control and has better stability at maintaining temps?

3. Granted, using wood chunks is most likely preferred, how are the commercially available chip to use? Do they require a couple addition in a roughly 3 hour cook cycle? Or just wrap them in foil, stab the pack and let go for the duration?

Obviously a couple nooby questions but I'm intending to pick up a smoker before the snow starts flying (and prices are down) and am kicking around the possibilities of electric, charcoal and possibly propane....propane honestly is my kinda last resort due to having a tank to monitor and keep an eye on..even though I already have two in the garage for heaters.

5. Oct 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    On my older electrics, I've had some problems on cold windy days I've had heat issues. With newer insulated box versions no problems at any Outdoor temps. I've had all types, gas, charcoal and electric, IMO, a insulated electric wins hands down. I've said it's like cheating, set it and forget, not to mention the price of operation. I'm sure others will poo poo the electric models. Look over on smokingmeatforums.com and do a bit of reading. Look back a page or so to see what I'm using. On long smokes, I set my temps, light my smoke generator and go to bed, not worrying about temps, or how's my fire doing, do I need to add chips/chunks/briquettes. Also, I can cold smoke (cheese or fish) with out even plugging up the unit.

6. Oct 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Just my opinion, but in my world smokers exits only in the charcoal variety. Electric and propane constitutes an oven.

7. Oct 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Thank you for the tips and input, I'm leaning towards a charcoal but not ruling the others out altogether. I like the idea of electrics "set and forget" for piece of mind but...I'm on the fence between the 3 (obviously). I would own a Brinkmann charcoal smoker except wally-world was out of stock this evening making room for X-Mas trees and what-not...they're listed at 38 bucks right now :cool:.

Back to charcoal, from the info I've picked up on, lump is kind of un-predictable compared to briquets...I wasn't sure about the briquets affecting taste quality though.

8. Oct 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I am with him on this, he is on point on his replies!!! I like lump charcoal as well.

9. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    @JCBigler and toughtaco, do either of you use the "Minion Method"??? I read about someone on here using it but can't recall who without going back through the 11 pages...it sounds promising to me but wasn't sure of the use in reality..

10. Oct 30, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab

Here's you a link.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

11. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Already stored in my favorites for future reference. On that page they made reference to the lump vs. briquet coals....hence my asking.

12. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I load my vertical keg smoker with a heaping chimney of well-started lump hardwood charcoal, and add about 4 softball size chunks of hardwood for smoke (hickory usually), which I buy from the store unfortunately. With the 9" cake pan I use as a water barrier, this gives me stable temps for 4 to 6 hours of between 225 and 250, and plenty of smoke. Hardwood lump charcoal is only about $1 a bag more than pressed briquette coal, but it burns better and with less ash and no chemical smell or taste. Remember that your meat will be over it for hours, and will absorb all the wood flavors. I don't even use lighter fluid to start. A little Veggie oil on a piece of newspaper under the chimney is plenty to get the coals glowing in about 15 minutes.

13. Oct 31, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    you can use this as a regular grill to right. Also dumb question but what is the diffrence between this smoker and a weber bullet.

edit: this is the one I am talking about

[​IMG]

14. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I use the Minion Method just about every time I smoke and have never had to add charcoal. Personally, I'm a briquette guy, but I know people who use lump and it makes good BBQ...my experiences have been that it burns too hot and quick for my liking. I've also never had a sawdust or adhesive taste come out in any of my food.

As far as smoke wood...after a while the smoke flavor no longer penetrates the meat, so you're just wasting wood if you keep throwing stuff on all day.

15. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    right or wrong..i do exactly this.^^ i use natural briquettes as the heat source. i find i get a longer lasting, more predictable heat. wood chunks only go in at the beginning. food scientist tell me that the smoke only penetrates when the moisture from the meat is readily available for it to dissolve the smoke particulates..dunno about the truth or science. i imagine after a certain point, your could finish the cooking in an oven (gasp!:D)

either way..you guys are badasses!!

lump charcoal i love for actual bbq.

16. Oct 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Well, today I found a smoker on craigslist...actually I found it a couple days ago and decided after reading several "raving" reviews and a few negatives I picked up an "Orion Smoker" for $20....if nothing else it becomes either scrap stainless steel and I use the grates for something else or convert it; i.e. drill holes in it, into a conventional bullet smoker.

http://theorioncooker.com/

Anyhow, like I said, for $20 it's probably worth that in scrap and although I've heard of plenty of under-smoking issues I intend to try a turkey breast on it within a week or two. Another negative seems to be is that it is charcoal hungry but to cook a turkey in 2.5 hrs., meh, what the heck...it's all trial and error.

17. Nov 1, 2012 at 4:55 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Everything that I have smoked was trial and error. That is what makes it fun.

18. Nov 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    $20 is a steal!! damn worth a try. but their website blows..no real closeups..no real explanation. how does smoke get in?

and no way, you pour cold unlit coals into the thing and light it like they illustrate..would food taste like starter fluid?

19. Nov 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB

Essentially the coals are always outside the cooking chamber heating everything up, you have the outside ring and the upper "cup" for charcoal. Wood chips (dry) go around the outside of the drip/water pan (they recommend no water, just maybe juice, beer, soda for flavoring) as the outide heats up it slowly makes the chips start smoking. The darn thing weighs about 35 pounds or so and with scrap prices up...WTH:rolleyes:.

Or I have option 2: make a rack inside for charcoal and wood, price and fabricate an adjustable vent on bottom and use as a conventional bullet smoker...

I'm curious to cook a turkey in it next week, possibly a chicken and some ribs just to give it a go and see what all the hype is about.

20. Nov 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Be careful if you use juice in your bowl when that heats up it turns almost to a candy. And that makes cleaning it a PITA..... trust me I have scrubbed for hours on my bowl. If you use juice every once in a while add more juice so it stays a liquid.

Products Discussed in

To Top