Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Kegs are aluminum I believe
Some are. Most are stainless, as is mine.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

6 hours and counting on the 9 lb shoulder from today. I would normally bring it in at this point since the temp fell to around 200, and finish it in the oven. This time, I restoked the fire with more charcoal and hickory. I'd like to get another 3 or 4 hours on the smoker and try to get the bark formed really well. I also refilled the water pan, so hopefully I don't dry out $18 worth of pork shoulder in the name of smoker science.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #23

Quote:
I smoke venison bologna, different cheeses, and venison jerky. Never used a small cabinet though. And I smoke bologna or jerky for no less than 12 hours. Cheese no less than 24
I'd love to get into cold smoking. I might look into something like BamaToy posted fr a cold smoking setup. My propane BBQ grill is rusted and beat up, so I might just get rid of it and replace it with something like that.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to attempt the alton brown ceramic smoker. I already have the stuff laying around I just need to get off my butt and do it
I had a Luhr Jenson model years ago. Didn't work that well
polymerhead, that looks really good. Do you clean the insides of your keg or is that stuff just allowed to build up?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004tacoprerunner View Post
I am going to attempt the alton brown ceramic smoker. I already have the stuff laying around I just need to get off my butt and do it
I had a Luhr Jenson model years ago. Didn't work that well
polymerhead, that looks really good. Do you clean the insides of your keg or is that stuff just allowed to build up?
Nah, it just builds up. I should probably clean it though. I do scrape off the thermometer for accurate readings. I cook all my food on oiled tin foil.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I'd love to get into cold smoking. I might look into something like BamaToy posted fr a cold smoking setup. My propane BBQ grill is rusted and beat up, so I might just get rid of it and replace it with something like that.
We use a smokehouse. Probably 10x12. An old steel box my uncle made with a lid on it for the wood. Cut a hickory or some apple. Start the fire with line, throw some oak in and let it burn down a bit then put the hickory in. Throw the lid on and drag it in and shut the door quick. Have to refill the box 2 or 3 times.

I'd like to talk to some of the old boys around here and learn how to brine hams and smoke them. Some fellas around here do Canadian bacons every year and they're incredible
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #27

Quote:
I'd like to talk to some of the old boys around here and learn how to brine hams and smoke them. Some fellas around here do Canadian bacons every year and they're incredible
Me too, man. 4H is popular around here and all the kids cure hams for the fair. I need to figure that out.

I have a buddy who basically lives off venison and pork he shoots himself. He's made some really great smoked brats and the like out of venison with some bacon added. Yum.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My grandfather, uncle, and A few other distant relatives were/are farmers. It's a dying art. More people need to learn how to do it and carry on the tradition. I've been told by my mom and my aunts that pap would brine hams for 5 to 7 days before he smoked them.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm all about smoking and BBQ i smoke a few chickens a months I really want to tackle cold smoking a Salmon so good
speaking of smokers keep your eyes pealed over the next few months there will be a B.A.M.F smoker on the market soon
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
"the soulless ginger"

I only smoke cheese when it's 20* or below. I don't like risking hundreds of dollars being melted through the racks.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My brine is a gallon of apple juice, a cup of salt and a cup of sugar. I usually add some crushed garlic and honey.
I like that brine I just use the stock from the last bird I smoked I'm going to try that apple juice brine hell my water bath is apple juice so why not
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #32
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I'm all about smoking and BBQ i smoke a few chickens a months I really want to tackle cold smoking a Salmon so good
speaking of smokers keep your eyes pealed over the next few months there will be a B.A.M.F smoker on the market soon
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
That's great.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Whoa. If you need a beta tester, let me know. I can also write some wicked copy...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #35
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whoa. If you need a beta tester, let me know. I can also write some wicked copy...
noted
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #37

Quote:
6 hours and counting on the 9 lb shoulder from today. I would normally bring it in at this point since the temp fell to around 200, and finish it in the oven. This time, I restoked the fire with more charcoal and hickory. I'd like to get another 3 or 4 hours on the smoker and try to get the bark formed really well. I also refilled the water pan, so hopefully I don't dry out $18 worth of pork shoulder in the name of smoker science.
8.5 hours now, and surprisingly it's still in its "stall" stage. Probably because my smoker was right on 225 this time, and usually I stoke it a little more to 250-275 for the first few hours. Not concerned though - the bark looks awesome and I know it'll eventually come out of its stall and rise quickly. Guess I'll check it again after True Blood.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #38

Quote:
8.5 hours now, and surprisingly it's still in its "stall" stage. Probably because my smoker was right on 225 this time, and usually I stoke it a little more to 250-275 for the first few hours. Not concerned though - the bark looks awesome and I know it'll eventually come out of its stall and rise quickly. Guess I'll check it again after True Blood.
10 hours and the shallow portion was registering 195. Took it out, and it's resting on the counter.

Excited about the bark!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Dang, I'm coming over. I will bring beer and buns. PM your address.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
Dang, I'm coming over. I will bring beer and buns. PM your address.
Lol, I'll stop by. A good college buddy lives in Ballwin (had to google Wildwood).

Products Discussed in this Thread