LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good Polyhead. I take I knife and make deep crisscross cuts so I can have even more surface area/bark. Cooks a little faster as well. If y'all guys want to get into cold smoking, look up A-Maz-n Smoke Generator. It's the tits. You could smoke cheese in a cardboard box if you've so desired. I use it in an electric smoker.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #42
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I'm all about smoking and BBQ i smoke a few chickens a months I really want to tackle cold smoking a Salmon so good
speaking of smokers keep your eyes pealed over the next few months there will be a B.A.M.F smoker on the market soon
A preview perheps?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
A preview perheps?
Soon
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #45
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
If you want plenty of ideas, recipe's and tips, slip over to smokingmeatforums.com
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #46
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Yum, I'm in. Get those pics posted BamaToy

OK, here are the pics from last night:

My smoker in action:

Here is a nice looking firebox. perfectly running at 250 Deg:

After 4.5 hours at 250 Deg, we flipped her over to braze the bottom:

Then sliced her up:

And time to eat!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #48
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I have trouble with keeping the temperture at the right setting. Its either too hot or near the end of the warm setting. I have tried putting in a whole lot of charcoal which gets things really hot for a while then dies down and it leaves so much charcoal dust that it smothers the new ones I put in.On the other hand I have tried just using fewer briquets but then it don't get hot enough. Yesterday it rained on me so I just put the darn thing in the overn/
http://www.thebbqguru.com/categories...-package-here/

There's my secret....

And my smoker, in the background.... It's a chargriller stick pit. Works great, inexpensive, and I don't use it for a grill. It needs a few mods to bring it up to the level of way more expensive pits. Plenty of Youtube videos on how to modify them.

I burn hardwood lump/comp briquettes/flavored chips.
Attached Thumbnails
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques-outsidekitchen.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #49
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Coffee, the thing about controlling temperature is a bit difficult, but can be managed if you have a damper. the damper is the area at the firebox that allows you to control how much air is drawn into the firebox. Open it up to increase air-in, and to increase temperature. Close it some to decrease air-in, and to reduce temp. Don't close it off. That will starve it of air and put out the fire. Once you learn where to position your damper to get the right temperature, you will be fine. It takes time to learn your grill, and each grill is different.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #50
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
bama..that bouncing blondie is mighty distracting!!

my coworker pruned all of his overgrown apple trees..i got a lifetime of wood for smoking. he was going to toss it. now he kept a cord for himself and is a smoking fool.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #52
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
a BAMF smoker may be the ticket!! i've considered driving to texas to buy one of the KLOSE smokers..my wife's eye-rolling killed the plan.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #54
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
a BAMF smoker may be the ticket!! i've considered driving to texas to buy one of the KLOSE smokers..my wife's eye-rolling killed the plan.
Here is a little teaser

Some of the specs just to get you

3/16th and 1/4" construction

High heat powder coated black texture.

Modular design for upgrading over time.
IE main box,Fire box & vertical smoker box can be ordered over time as your skills and wallet increase.

Optional removable fire box maze

4 Big swiveling heavy duty castors "i hate only 2 swiveling castors"

2 maybe 3 Different sizes for different budgets

Custom options will be available.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #55
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
10 hours and the shallow portion was registering 195. Took it out, and it's resting on the counter.

Excited about the bark!
Final verdict on this one was a little too dry. The 10 hours was just too much. The center ended up a little mealy, and I couldn't tell much of a difference in smoke flavor vs my usual method. Going back to 6 hours on the smoker and then an oven finish. Easier, more juicy, more consistent results in my opinion. Not that this shoulder couldn't be served at any BBQ restaurant - just not quite as good as usual.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Final verdict on this one was a little too dry. The 10 hours was just too much. The center ended up a little mealy, and I couldn't tell much of a difference in smoke flavor vs my usual method. Going back to 6 hours on the smoker and then an oven finish. Easier, more juicy, more consistent results in my opinion. Not that this shoulder couldn't be served at any BBQ restaurant - just not quite as good as usual.
I did a loin in the same manor and it was too dry also. I'm thinking 7-8 hours would have been sufficient.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #57
you guys adding moisture? like a pan of water near the heatsource?

i always thought some spray nozzle spraying apple cider randomly at a smoking pork shoulder would be excellent. IIRC, once that crust forms on a piece of meat, and it starts to dry at the surface, you wont get anymore additional smoke flavor. the smoke is water soluble, so the surface needs to be wet for the smoke to work.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #58
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
you guys adding moisture? like a pan of water near the heatsource?

i always thought some spray nozzle spraying apple cider randomly at a smoking pork shoulder would be excellent. IIRC, once that crust forms on a piece of meat, and it starts to dry at the surface, you wont get anymore additional smoke flavor. the smoke is water soluble, so the surface needs to be wet for the smoke to work.
I always have a dish of apple juice right next to the heat.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #59
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I spray my injection mix. Vinegar and Applejuice.

I have cooked on a water cooker. To me, they make the bark mushy.