Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #621
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Shoulder to shoulder for sure cook at different rates. I always wrap but leave in the smoker, turn up the temp a bit and watch for finish temps. I usually do bone in, it will pull out completely meatless. I do score the butt deeply (for more surface/bark area). I've had two similar weight butts finish two hours apart?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #622
BDDFC is on a distinguished road
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcrazed View Post
Well I took it out @ 175 cause its a loin and I didnt want to dry it out, 1hr rest. It had decent flavor but didn't pull worth a crap. Ohh well try again.
Yeah, I've found that loins are better cooked to 145* and sliced, tender and juicy that way. Cooking them until they pull almost guarantee's dried out pork. You can sauce them up good but it's just not the same as a shoulder meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I did a shoulder on Sunday and cooked it to 195 in a 265 degree oven after smoking it for 6 hours. Cooked 10 hours total and rested 1 hour and still needed a couple more hours. Pulled ok but not as well as usual. I think wrapping and finishing in the oven is key to a juicy shoulder but at least with this cut of meat I should have pushed it to 200 deg and let it sit an extra hour. Crazy how much difference there is from one animal to the next.

Come to think of it, this one was bone in. I usually smoke deboned shoulders and that may be why it needed more time this time.
I've gone to 205* and beyond before some of my butts have given up. I always use a probe test with butts. When a probe slides in like butter it's done. You're right though, generally if the bone pulls out clean it's more than likely done. Obviously, that doesn't help much when you're cooking boneless though.

Nothing wrong with finishing in the oven, heat is heat, oven or smoker it will do the same thing provided the temperatures are the same in each.

Resting them in a a cooler helps too. I always double wrap mine in heavy duty foil and stick them in a prewarmed cooler wrapped in towels for at minimum an hour. I've gone 5 hours in the cooler and the meat is still too hot to pull with my hands when I pull them out. The longer the rest the better IMO.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #623
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
I made some pulled beef sandwiches last weekend. They were off the chain.

I turned it into this diabolical beauty for a throwdown over on the brethren.

Homemade turkey burger with provolone, 2 de-boned smoked chicken thighs, pulled beef, a couple ABT's, a long hot pepper, and a cold one.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #624
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDDFC View Post

W. T. F. That looks awesome!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #625
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Mother of god
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #626
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
how many hours to smoke a pork butt that weighs 7.5 pounds
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #627
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Depends on the temperature. At 200 degrees I usually plan on 1.5-2 hours per pound.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #628
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Smoke it for 6 hrs at 200-250 and then double wrap it in foil & into an oven until the meat reads 200 deg. Plan on 12 hrs or so total. Maybe less if there's no bone.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #629
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
^^ how long, what temp did you do the tri-tip @? Looks nom!
Smoked at 275* for about an hour and a half. Finished on grill for sear. Some people sear first, but I think it doesn't make sense to "seal" the juices in when I'm trying to smoke the flavor in. Lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #630
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have a big green egg or a ceramic type grill? How do you like it? I live in a condo and don't have a yard but can us it in front of my garage. But anyways I love using lump charcoal and looking to upgrade here soon. I already have a gas grill also so this will be a second grill for me
Old 04-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #631
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
anyone have a big green egg or a ceramic type grill? How do you like it? I live in a condo and don't have a yard but can us it in front of my garage. But anyways I love using lump charcoal and looking to upgrade here soon. I already have a gas grill also so this will be a second grill for me
Thought about it but I think I'll save up a few hundred more and go full custom.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #632
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Thought about it but I think I'll save up a few hundred more and go full custom.
I thought about that. I have access to 24" pipe for free or just about free but I really don't think I want to build a smoker.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #633
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I too am seeking a similar smoker/grill. One tip, if you search for the Chargriller Akorn kamado style grill, it works just the same. You can hardly find any reviews from anyone that is not 100% satisfied. And it is metal (not fragile) and insulated for temp control and only about $300 at Lowes.

Everyone I have heard loves the green eggs too but way pricey for me just for a grill.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #634
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
I agree about the acorn. It's a very nice cooker for the money. It won't hold temps quite like a ceramic though. I also agree the bge is pricy, but it's more than just a grill. You can do anything from cold smoking cheese at under 100* to pizza at over 700*. Go low and slow for 20+ hours or just grill some steaks if you want. It's probably the most versatile cooker out there. That said there alternatives like kamado joe and primo. The egg also has a lifetime warranty. If you want a good cheap smoker just build a UDS.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #635
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Every review I've read say's the akorn will hold temps perfectly even down below 200. After a couple trial runs to learn the damper settings that is.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #636
BDDFC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Every review I've read say's the akorn will hold temps perfectly even down below 200. After a couple trial runs to learn the damper settings that is.
If I were looking to spend $300 on a smoker I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Acorn for sure. There's a ton of value there.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #637
Fever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to behold
Fever's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Primo round Kamado (equivalent to a lg BGE) , found it on CL for $300 (used twice). They are great! Use very little lump, even in the winter. As previously stated you smoke, grill and bake. If I were buying new, and money was not the object, I would get the Primo XL oval so you can set up easier for direct/indirect cooking at once.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #638
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #639
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
My fiance and I split up three weeks ago, so I went out and bought the Traeger that she always said was too expensive. Got a Lil' Tex Elite, so far I haven't had a ton of time to experiment, but I've made a brisket, some chops, and chicken; and have been very satisfied with the results. Want to make a Boston butt to pull once I finally have the time to dedicate to it. Also working on getting all of the little accessories and different pellets to try out.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #640
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought a Kamado Joe Ceramic grill for Christmas. I love it. I cook at least twice a week on it. I try to do a turkey or boston butt then use that for lunch meat all week. Beats paying 10/lb for deli sliced meat. It works well for eating healthy because we eat out less and eat better cuts of meat. Zero regrets, my gas grill just sits unless I am finishing ribs.

Products Discussed in this Thread