Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #641
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome its something I will have to look into for sure then coming up.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #644
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
Smoked a turkey yesterday for around 7 hours.

Here it is done, it was good probably cooked it a little too long but I was worried about it not being done.

Yeah, 7 hrs sounds like a pretty long time, but I'm sure it was still tasty!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #645
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Yeah, 7 hrs sounds like a pretty long time, but I'm sure it was still tasty!
I pull turkey at 160-165 and let it rise to 170. Keeps them super moist and safe to eat. My last smoked Turkey was insanely good.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #646
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thought about it but I think I'll save up a few hundred more and go full custom.
Went to look at the char griller akorn but didn't buy it. Looked pretty nice though. Even the mini akorn was neat but a lot of money for that little thing ($200). The big one is $300, so about a third the cost of a BGE. Tempting.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #648
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I ended up pulling it at 170 and it rose to 180.

That is a fine looking bird there, I love me some smoked turkey. Got where I don't even like it oven cooked.

I like using butter flavored Pam spray or any other sauce concoction every hour or so to keep the skin moist.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #649
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Went to look at the char griller akorn but didn't buy it. Looked pretty nice though. Even the mini akorn was neat but a lot of money for that little thing ($200). The big one is $300, so about a third the cost of a BGE. Tempting.
I was really considering getting get one as well, but I decided to hold off for a while. I have a 15 year old char-broil gas grill with a perfectly usuable cast aluminum body just sitting collecting dust. I had been using it lately about once a year to cook a thanksgiving turkey with gas fire on one end under wood chips and the food on the other end.

I decided to dismantle and convert this to charcoal/wood fire only. I am going to play around with this some and see if I can figure out a way to smoke low and slow on it with any degree of consistency. I know it may lose heat faster with the aluminum.

The best things I hear about the Akorns or the BGE's is ability to maintain a steady cooking temp with very little charcoal consumption due to the insulation.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #650

Yeah, the key is the insulation or double walled design, depending on what you're talking about. I love my steel keg but it won't run for more than about 6 hours at 250 on a chimney of coal.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #651
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Smoked a turkey yesterday for around 7 hours.

Eye spy a taco back there too, it was intentional

Here it is done, it was good probably cooked it a little too long but I was worried about it not being done.

What all did you do to it before putting it in? And what were you cooking it at? (temp)
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #652
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Wow I never knew this section existed!

Look what I just brought home towed with my 2011 Metallic Grey DC
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #653
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Oooo a Gator Pit. Nice
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #654
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
What all did you do to it before putting it in? And what were you cooking it at? (temp)

I only sprinkled it with a chicken seasoning and made sure that the smoker was really hot. Once it was in there every once in a while I sprayed it with water and made sure the water bowl was full.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #655
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Any Big Green Egg types here? I have three and live in the middle of Texas.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #656
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
anyone have a big green egg or a ceramic type grill? How do you like it? I live in a condo and don't have a yard but can us it in front of my garage. But anyways I love using lump charcoal and looking to upgrade here soon. I already have a gas grill also so this will be a second grill for me
I love the Big Green Eggs. Had two of the three going Sat. morning.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
I love the Big Green Eggs. Had two of the three going Sat. morning.
Nice!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #658
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/3gr1qvlnyXk
just a quick video seasoning the gator
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #659
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
damn it..i want a Gator pit now!!

houston is like a million miles away
Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #660

Still haven't bought a Char-Griller kamado but as soon as they're on sale at all I'll pick one up. I'd love for Menards to put their red one on sale. I'm back from vacation so I'm taking an easy Saturday after mowing and pruning this morning to cook a brisket very low and very slow. Just pulled it off the smoker after 5 hours of smoking at 225 and now into an oven at 225 for as long as it takes to hit 195. It's at 138 after 5 hours so it may be another 8 or 10 hours - no clue. I bought a probe thermometer so I won't have to pull it out of the oven to check, so now all there is to do is wait. I might wrap it in foil if it gets too dry, but for now it doesn't have much of a bark so I'm letting it cook on a rack to hopefully develop a nice tasty crust.

I also bought a new rub to try - Tasty Dead Cow Shake. It's a dedicated beef rub, so we'll see if it works better than the Sticky Pig rub I usually use.

Update: I noticed my smoker was holding at 200 and still putting out some nice light smoke, so I thawed some EZ Peel shrimp, put some rub on them and threw them on the smoker. Should be done in about 30 mins. I didn't peel them so I assume the taste will be pretty mild but we'll see. I've never done shrimp before. I should have peeled half of them I guess, as a test!

Products Discussed in this Thread