Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #681
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just got an offer to settle a big debt and have a guy build me a grill/smoker. I was thinking about maybe making a trailer so that I can use it anywhere and everywhere. If you guys have any ideas, plans or details please let me know and include pics!!!! I am excited!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #682
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a nice dinner party going on Sunday. Smoking pork butt for pulled pork,smoking 2 briskets, making a grilled tomato and watermelon salad, making a sort of gazpacho, grilling steaks,and a leg of lamb. I am excited about this party,been a long time coming. Yes there will be pics to follow.

Going to do 2 beer can chickens for the party as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #686
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Never paid much attention to this thread...since my husband did all the smoking. We've had an electric smoker (Brinkman) for a couple years. It was our first smoker, so it got us started. We didn't know any better.

My husband just picked up a propane smoker last week. And....I can't tell you how much better this thing is compared to the electric/Brinkman. I can't wait to try it in the winter/colder weather. The Brinkman could never keep up the temp in colder months and just harder to maintain proper temp. This propane thing seems to be much easier to keep regular temp!!
He's smoked about 21 lbs of pulled pork on two different occasions over the weekend. Ohhhh Yummo!!

I have tomorrow off and am gonna give my first attempt at doing a Beer Can chicken!! Read a lot of different info. Olive oil & chicken rub. Preheat smoker 250-300 degrees and maintain. 165-170 internal temp. I'm just not sure how long this will take (obviously, depending on the size of the bird).

I'm excited!! (and hungry)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #687
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Never paid much attention to this thread...since my husband did all the smoking. We've had an electric smoker (Brinkman) for a couple years. It was our first smoker, so it got us started. We didn't know any better.

My husband just picked up a propane smoker last week. And....I can't tell you how much better this thing is compared to the electric/Brinkman. I can't wait to try it in the winter/colder weather. The Brinkman could never keep up the temp in colder months and just harder to maintain proper temp. This propane thing seems to be much easier to keep regular temp!!
He's smoked about 21 lbs of pulled pork on two different occasions over the weekend. Ohhhh Yummo!!

I have tomorrow off and am gonna give my first attempt at doing a Beer Can chicken!! Read a lot of different info. Olive oil & chicken rub. Preheat smoker 250-300 degrees and maintain. 165-170 internal temp. I'm just not sure how long this will take (obviously, depending on the size of the bird).

I'm excited!! (and hungry)
Not to be a downer but I stopped doing the beer can method after reading a couple articles like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-...b_1634001.html

Either way, have fun and enjoy!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #688
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Not to be a downer but I stopped doing the beer can method after reading a couple articles like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-...b_1634001.html

Either way, have fun and enjoy!
Not a downer..... and I looked at the article. I'm not threatened by it.

That article is just someone who doesn't like it and his explanations why he doesn't like it - so be it. We all have different tastes and likes/dislikes of how we cook or how we want to cook. I'm not picky.....it's something different and as long as its cooked and tastes good, I'd do it again and I might even try something different. I also like 'convenience' - quick and easy - because I suck at cooking.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #689
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My first attempt at 'beer-can chicken' turned out OK. In fact, first time doing chicken in the smoker.....LOTS of room for improvement. I had read a lot of information online and there were so many different scenarios & situations - that, you just have to do it and see what happens.

5lb bird and we probed it in many different areas for proper internal temp. The bird was TOO moist and almost seemed like areas weren't fully cooked (but they were hot). I've read situations of being 'too moist' inside .... and now I know exactly what they mean. The smoke flavor was almost 'too much' also.

I put 5 ears of corn on the smoker at the last 1.5 hours - and the corn even had a smokey flavor (when I thought the chips were totally gone). Too much smokey food in one sitting.....

Does Chicken absorb the 'smoke' more than other foods? Too much chips? (I'd used hickory chips (not chunks) and soaked them for hours prior).
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #690
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! a smoking section! I have a cookshack that is easy to use with electronic temperature. The only time I open the doors is when I'm loading, putting foil on something or taking out! Here are some results with trout...

Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #691
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamarine View Post
Awesome! a smoking section! I have a cookshack that is easy to use with electronic temperature. The only time I open the doors is when I'm loading, putting foil on something or taking out! Here are some results with trout...

umm, yeah, your going to have to meet up with me to go fishing...

Also, I can help you eat those today.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #692
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Smoking some ribs and prolly a Boston butt for Father's Day. Can't wait
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #693
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first attempt at 'beer-can chicken' turned out OK. In fact, first time doing chicken in the smoker.....LOTS of room for improvement. I had read a lot of information online and there were so many different scenarios & situations - that, you just have to do it and see what happens.

5lb bird and we probed it in many different areas for proper internal temp. The bird was TOO moist and almost seemed like areas weren't fully cooked (but they were hot). I've read situations of being 'too moist' inside .... and now I know exactly what they mean. The smoke flavor was almost 'too much' also.

I put 5 ears of corn on the smoker at the last 1.5 hours - and the corn even had a smokey flavor (when I thought the chips were totally gone). Too much smokey food in one sitting.....

Does Chicken absorb the 'smoke' more than other foods? Too much chips? (I'd used hickory chips (not chunks) and soaked them for hours prior).
No, chicken doesn't really "absorb" smoke flavor more than any other meat. In fact, it's usually milder tasting because you have the skin to block so much of the smoke. Personally, I think your problem was in the smoke wood you used. Hickory has a VERY strong taste and can be overwhelming, especially with a lighter flavored meat like chicken. I am a big believer in fruit woods (apple and cherry), and I throw in a little bit of hickory or mesquite if I want to crank it up a little bit. I do all my chicken with 100% apple or cherry wood though. I'd recommend trying that next time and see what you think.

BTW...there's no benefit to soaking your smoke wood. Just save yourself the time and throw 'em on there dry!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #695
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
umm, yeah, your going to have to meet up with me to go fishing...

Also, I can help you eat those today.
Come on over to Virginia! Trout fishing, Snakehead fishing, it's all good and it all eats good. I have 12 rainbows, 1 Alaskan Salmon, and halibut in the freezer ready for cooking. I always cook up a mess of stuff in the smoker...I hate to waste all that space, so I try to fill the racks up.
I never soak my apple wood, but maybe I'll give it a try just for the heck of it. I also have some apricot and peach wood on standby I want to try out.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #696
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like a lot of smoke in my pork and beef, so if I'm doing a chicken along with it I usually don't eat the skin. It gets rubbery and almost bitter. The meat underneath tastes amazing though! If I'm BBQing chicken there will be several layers of carmelized sauce on it by th time I'm done, so the skin is the best part. Smoked chicken, not so much.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #697
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamarine View Post
Come on over to Virginia! Trout fishing, Snakehead fishing, it's all good and it all eats good. I have 12 rainbows, 1 Alaskan Salmon, and halibut in the freezer ready for cooking. I always cook up a mess of stuff in the smoker...I hate to waste all that space, so I try to fill the racks up.
I never soak my apple wood, but maybe I'll give it a try just for the heck of it. I also have some apricot and peach wood on standby I want to try out.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...roll-call.html

I fish daily. Rockfish n snakeheads
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #698
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Boston butt going on the smoker tomorrow morning during moving day.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #699
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook.
Or, just add a package of legs extra.
I do not brine the turkey or Chicken.
If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #700
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not a downer..... and I looked at the article. I'm not threatened by it.

That article is just someone who doesn't like it and his explanations why he doesn't like it - so be it. We all have different tastes and likes/dislikes of how we cook or how we want to cook. I'm not picky.....it's something different and as long as its cooked and tastes good, I'd do it again and I might even try something different. I also like 'convenience' - quick and easy - because I suck at cooking.
I agree

Products Discussed in this Thread