Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #701
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Do y'all find you get better results when cooking a rack of St. Louis ribs @ 225-240 low and slow 3-2-1 or hot and fast 300-350ish. I've done both and can't remember which I like better.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #702
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
Do y'all find you get better results when cooking a rack of St. Louis ribs @ 225-240 low and slow 3-2-1 or hot and fast 300-350ish. I've done both and can't remember which I like better.
LOL You are too young to have memory problems. That is for us old farts. IMHO both taste great.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #703
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i prefer slow and low, if using the smoker all the way.
of course, fast method is still a good alternative if it follows parboil and oven roast... to just add a more superficial smoke flavor afterwards...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #704
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
LOL You are too young to have memory problems. That is for us old farts. IMHO both taste great.
I grill so much it all runs together!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #707
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I use Eggs. I do and like this best: Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub
Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #708
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin for a sweet rub recipe. Something the whole family can enjoy. Some people don't like all the paprika and the spicy. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #709
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Lookin for a sweet rub recipe. Something the whole family can enjoy. Some people don't like all the paprika and the spicy. Anyone have any suggestions?
No suggestions but remember that sugar burns, so you have to watch a sweet rub much more closely.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #710
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
I use Eggs. I do and like this best: Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub
I did STL ribs last weekend at 220 for 4 or 5 hours and they turned out really dry. I use a metal egg. I agree that something like 325 for 2 hrs or so would be better.

Now my pork shoulders, I run them low and slow for at least 6 hours of smoke before finishing in the oven overnight. They always come out stellar.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #711
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We've been using this:
We would love to find a more 'custom' (not commercialized) rub - but this has been good for us for now.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #712
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
No suggestions but remember that sugar burns, so you have to watch a sweet rub much more closely.
I don't let it get real hot. 250 at most. Monitor my temp constantly. The rub I used lastnight had a lot of brown sugar in it and never got really dark. Just the usual brown from smoke and the other spices. Has anyone ever tried a thinned down honey? I don't know that you could baste it or spray it on. Maybe mop it
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #713
"the soulless ginger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
We've been using this:
We would love to find a more 'custom' (not commercialized) rub - but this has been good for us for now.
Maybe I'll give this stuff a go. I just bought a 276 gallon oil tank about 3 hours ago. I'm gonna turn that into a smoker/cooker. All wood fired. Unsure of how I wanna do the fire box setup yet though. I may do it behind so the heat is centered. Make the temp more even throughout
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #714
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't let it get real hot. 250 at most. Monitor my temp constantly. The rub I used lastnight had a lot of brown sugar in it and never got really dark. Just the usual brown from smoke and the other spices. Has anyone ever tried a thinned down honey? I don't know that you could baste it or spray it on. Maybe mop it
Try some apple juice in a squirt bottle.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #715
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery

Bologna done on the smoker. WOW! Is all I can say. It is delicious.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #716
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After about 2 hours in smoker, my husband wraps the ribs in foil. Inside the foil, he puts brown suger, squeezy butter, and honey and throws it back on the smoker for 2 hours.

(we've been watching BBQ pitmasters too much)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #717
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe I'll give this stuff a go. I just bought a 276 gallon oil tank about 3 hours ago. I'm gonna turn that into a smoker/cooker. All wood fired. Unsure of how I wanna do the fire box setup yet though. I may do it behind so the heat is centered. Make the temp more even throughout
Sounds like fun! Keep experimenting with different things and you'll find the recipe that you love!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #718
"the soulless ginger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
After about 2 hours in smoker, my husband wraps the ribs in foil. Inside the foil, he puts brown suger, squeezy butter, and honey and throws it back on the smoker for 2 hours.

(we've been watching BBQ pitmasters too much)
I've been watching that a bit lately myself. You can learn a lot from those guys
Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #719
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Not the biggest photo in the world, but I am quite proud here. I have done ribs and pork and chicken, etc. This is my first brisket. Started the fires Saturday night at 11pm, and have been keeping the temp almost perfectly steady for the past 13 hours at 200-250 degrees. THAT was a chore, and I am exhausted. I usually only cook about 6 hours, so this is the longest I have kept that firebox going! What do you think? I still have 4 more hours to go! Inside temp was at 160 about 10 minutes ago.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #720
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
yesterday's smokin'... came out great!
homemade dry rub (sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, gnd coriander, cayenne)
3 hours total (prep and active), in BGE, only using regular kingsford charcoal (had some lying around, so went with it!)
10 mins hot grid, direct heat in BGE (too lazy to setup plate setter for indirect heat), meat side down, managed to get nice color, not too dark, even with high sugar in dry rub,
10 mins (bone side down, only seasoned with salt/pepper),
45-50 mins foil wrapped, basted on Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and
finished for additional 15 mins,
then 20 mins rest...

why mess with ol' reliable, eh!?

Products Discussed in this Thread