Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #721
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
follow fast cook with foil wrap...

fast/350 is alright (and def more convenient), so long as you also throw in 45-60 mins foil wrap at little lower temp (250-275)... that ensures tenderness but still with just right amount of tug...
that foil wrap step has been great for me (and, i like janster's 7/21 post about inserting add-ins to the foil wrap, though i haven't tried yet), whether slow/low or fast/high cook...

that's my 2-cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
I use Eggs. I do and like this best: Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #724
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #725
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom FTW!!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #726
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Gang...

School me on Brining.... I understand the 'salt' does something to the meat, but is it that much of a difference?

What's the maximum amount of time to brine? I've seen - couple hours. Is it a bad idea to start a brine in the morning and leave it all day until you get home - too much?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #727
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Hey Gang...

School me on Brining.... I understand the 'salt' does something to the meat, but is it that much of a difference?

What's the maximum amount of time to brine? I've seen - couple hours. Is it a bad idea to start a brine in the morning and leave it all day until you get home - too much?
It depends on the size of the meat you are brining. Something like a whole chicken would be fine to let brine all day while you are at work but chicken breasts will only take a few hours. Try adding some other flavors in also instead of just the salt and sugar. I like to use herbs, whole garlic cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, ect.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #728
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
It depends on the size of the meat you are brining. Something like a whole chicken would be fine to let brine all day while you are at work but chicken breasts will only take a few hours. Try adding some other flavors in also instead of just the salt and sugar. I like to use herbs, whole garlic cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, ect.

I did a turkey for thanksgiving last year and brined it for 24 hours. I put celery, carrots and onions in the brine. It was very tasty.

The bigger the piece of meat, the longer it needs brined, otherwise you just get the flavoring on the outside and the meat in the middle isn't affected.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #729
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Gang...

Long read, but this was interesting to me and explained how it works.

How a brine works

Moisture loss is inevitable when you cook any type of muscle fiber. Heat causes raw individual coiled proteins in the fibers to unwind—the technical term is denature—and then join together with one another, resulting in some shrinkage and moisture loss. (By the way, acids, salt, and even air can have the same denaturing effect on proteins as heat.) Normally, meat loses about 30 percent of its weight during cooking. But if you soak the meat in a brine first, you can reduce this moisture loss during cooking to as little as 15 percent, according to Dr. Estes Reynolds, a brining expert at the University of Georgia.
Brining enhances juiciness in several ways. First of all, muscle fibers simply absorb liquid during the brining period. Some of this liquid gets lost during cooking, but since the meat is in a sense more juicy at the start of cooking, it ends up juicier. We can verify that brined meat and fish absorb liquid by weighing them before and after brining. Brined meats typically weigh six to eight percent more than they did before brining—clear proof of the water uptake.
Another way that brining increases juiciness is by dissolving some proteins. A mild salt solution can actually dissolve some of the proteins in muscle fibers, turning them from solid to liquid.
Of all the processes at work during brining, the most significant is salt's ability to denature proteins. The dissolved salt causes some of the proteins in muscle fibers to unwind and swell. As they unwind, the bonds that had held the protein unit together as a bundle break. Water from the brine binds directly to these proteins, but even more important, water gets trapped between these proteins when the meat cooks and the proteins bind together. Some of this would happen anyway just during cooking, but the brine unwinds more proteins and exposes more bonding sites. As long as you don't overcook the meat, which would cause protein bonds to tighten and squeeze out a lot of the trapped liquid, these natural juices will be retained.

More infor here:
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...eat-moist.aspx
Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #730
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Gang...

Short answer is yes, brining makes a huge difference, and no, an 8-hour brine is not too long for any type of poultry. I'll let a whole turkey breast brine for 36 or 48 hours sometimes. Something thinner won't need as long but even a thin chicken tender isn't going to be ruined by an 8 hour brine.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #731
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
I did a turkey for thanksgiving last year and brined it for 24 hours. I put celery, carrots and onions in the brine. It was very tasty.
The bigger the piece of meat, the longer it needs brined, otherwise you just get the flavoring on the outside and the meat in the middle isn't affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Long read, but this was interesting to me and explained how it works.

How a brine works

Moisture loss is inevitable when you cook any type of muscle fiber. Heat causes raw individual coiled proteins in the fibers to unwind—the technical term is denature—and then join together with one another, resulting in some shrinkage and moisture loss. (By the way, acids, salt, and even air can have the same denaturing effect on proteins as heat.) Normally, meat loses about 30 percent of its weight during cooking. But if you soak the meat in a brine first, you can reduce this moisture loss during cooking to as little as 15 percent, according to Dr. Estes Reynolds, a brining expert at the University of Georgia.
Brining enhances juiciness in several ways. First of all, muscle fibers simply absorb liquid during the brining period. Some of this liquid gets lost during cooking, but since the meat is in a sense more juicy at the start of cooking, it ends up juicier. We can verify that brined meat and fish absorb liquid by weighing them before and after brining. Brined meats typically weigh six to eight percent more than they did before brining—clear proof of the water uptake.
Another way that brining increases juiciness is by dissolving some proteins. A mild salt solution can actually dissolve some of the proteins in muscle fibers, turning them from solid to liquid.
Of all the processes at work during brining, the most significant is salt's ability to denature proteins. The dissolved salt causes some of the proteins in muscle fibers to unwind and swell. As they unwind, the bonds that had held the protein unit together as a bundle break. Water from the brine binds directly to these proteins, but even more important, water gets trapped between these proteins when the meat cooks and the proteins bind together. Some of this would happen anyway just during cooking, but the brine unwinds more proteins and exposes more bonding sites. As long as you don't overcook the meat, which would cause protein bonds to tighten and squeeze out a lot of the trapped liquid, these natural juices will be retained.

More infor here:
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...eat-moist.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Short answer is yes, brining makes a huge difference, and no, an 8-hour brine is not too long for any type of poultry. I'll let a whole turkey breast brine for 36 or 48 hours sometimes. Something thinner won't need as long but even a thin chicken tender isn't going to be ruined by an 8 hour brine.
Awesome!! I'm still in the 'experimental' stages. I mean..how bad can it be? LOL This past Friday, I rubbed & injected 6 breasts (halves) and threw it in at 5pm when I got home from work. Turned out pretty good....nothing of WOW factor. Next time, I'll probably throw it in brine while I'm at work.... and no injection - same rubs, sauces, etc and see how that turns out. Not that my stuff will ever be WOW...but, I'm enjoying experimenting (and eating too!!).

My husband has gotten pretty good with ribs and tries to re-create the same results. But...he's discovering even when he tries to copy, there are so many variables that make it different than before. It's still DAMN GOOD!!!
LOL

We wanna try wings too...but the 'bite thru' skin might be ...harder to grasp.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #732
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster

We wanna try wings too...but the 'bite thru' skin might be ...harder to grasp.
A buddy does smoked hot wings - "brines" them in pure franks red hot sauce for a day then smokes them. Everyone raves about them!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #733
Its 4 o’clock somewhere
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A buddy does smoked hot wings - "brines" them in pure franks red hot sauce for a day then smokes them. Everyone raves about them!
Holy hell that sounds good. I must try this now.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #734
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I do on my Eggs. This with 1 1/2 inch chops.

Best thick pork chops (rib chops)

Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water...brine the chops a few hours (zip lock gallon bag is perfect). Pat dry, coffee rub and cook 'em hot and fast. preferred internal here would be to pull at 130-135* tops...carryover during the rest will bring them to 140-145* +/-. Keep it simple! Just don't cook 'em to death!!
Now for turkey breast I go one or two days with a commercial turkey rub.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #735
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We've been using this:
We would love to find a more 'custom' (not commercialized) rub - but this has been good for us for now.
I use this brand for most things and really enjoy all the ones I have tried. I buy it from a BBQ supply store we have here. My favorite is the stockyard steakhouse

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/index.html
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #736
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would that be considered a marinade instead of a brine? (sorry, trying to learn ) Sounds good! Hell, I'd try it.

I often marinade chicken breast in Greek Lite Italian dressing before grilling.

I wonder what part of the hot sauce actually penetrates and/or what do you taste? Hot chili's... or.... I know sometimes those sauces have vinegar in them.

Another questiion: Seasonings vs Rubs - are they the same? I guess you can use whatever you want for whatever results you're looking for. Some bottles of 'stuff' are labeled as Rubs while others are seasonings....
(am I getting too technical about all this? That seems to be 'my nature')
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #737

Chicken legs smoked today since I was firing up the akorn for a pork shoulder. Done in 1.5 hours, cooling down now and smelling awesome!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #738
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ that looks good!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #739
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I smoked some wings and boneless country ribs earlier. Turned out really good. Still have a roast on the smoker. Should be done a little after 7.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #740
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
My USMC UDS

I've been smoking for about 6 years. I've had a few horizontal offsets, and have gone to a UDS. Cheap, efficient and can smoke a lot of meat! I also have a MUDS for when I'm cooking just for the family, or for sides (ABTs, moinks, etc.)

Here's my baby, a few other members of the family and some of the results...
Attached Thumbnails
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques-image.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread