Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #961
Squirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Squirrel cage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I'll try fat side down next time I do one. I have thought about losing bark on the fat so I hope it turns out good.
I've always done fat side up too. Will have to try it fat down next time!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #962
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I'll try fat side down next time I do one. I have thought about losing bark on the fat so I hope it turns out good.
I do fat up as well, but I usually leave a butt on the smoker until I see 195. Also, I take a knife and cut one inch deep slices into the butt in a crossing patteren before ever putting any rub on. This greatly increases surface area, hence, more bark.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #963
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
2 pork roasts. 8 hrs on the traeger at 150 with apple. 1 hr on 350 wrapped in foil with an angry Orchard in the foil with it.
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques-uploadfromtaptalk1388456868541.jpg
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #964
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
2 pork roasts. 8 hrs on the traeger at 150 with apple. 1 hr on 350 wrapped in foil with an angry Orchard in the foil with it.
Attachment 248477
8 hours at 150? I make jerky at 150. Is this more of a cold smoke technique? Can you share the reason for that temp setting? I'm intrigued!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #965
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
That's what the traeger website had... In fact they had it lower on only smoke. I can taste the apple flavor from the wood down about 3/4". I'll get a picture of how far the smoke went in here in a few. At 8hrs it was at the 150 internal
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #967
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Here is dome good info on the danger zone when smoking meat.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/5...nger-zone-info
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #968

Air Force:
I understand "danger zones" working in my dads old kitchen, but it would be hard to get a good smoke on something in a short time before the item itself is fully cooked. I have never had a problem while slow cooking something like that, and have been eating that for a long time. I mean, that's how they cook briskets and a lot of meats like that in good BBQ joints. Pulled porks can take upwards of 12 hours until it's at a "decent" internal temp they call for.

But, typically the internal temp will equal the outer by 4hrs if you have it at the 150-180 range I had it at.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #969
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That's what the traeger website had... In fact they had it lower on only smoke. I can taste the apple flavor from the wood down about 3/4". I'll get a picture of how far the smoke went in here in a few. At 8hrs it was at the 150 internal
Interesting. So it is a type of cold smoking, kind of. Since it's a pellet grill, you get smoke at any temp - makes sense. You couldn't really do pulled pork that low and expect it to be pullable, but with something lean like a loin that you slice, I'll bet it works well.

And I wouldn't worry too much about safety - not a lot of bacteria are going to be able to grow on a piece of meat in an active smoker, especially if you use a sugar or salt dry rub. With the last hour at 300+, you're killing everything on the surface too.

ETA - By that of course I mean, don't worry about that particular cooking method being unsafe. I didn't mean that you shouldn't consider food safety and cleanliness in general...
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #970

Air Force:
I'm doing a pulled pork tomorrow. I may put it on the rack itself for the first few hours... fat cap down? Then give it a bath in Apple juice wrapped up?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #971

Quote:
I'm doing a pulled pork tomorrow. I may put it on the rack itself for the first few hours... fat cap down? Then give it a bath in Apple juice wrapped up?
Sounds pretty great.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #972

Air Force:
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques-uploadfromtaptalk1388871000602.jpg

3 1/2 hours at this point at 225 on the rack. It's now in the tray with apple cider, cider vinegar and brown sugar at 275. I'll wrap it at hour 6.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #974

Looks awesome!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #975
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Just received this...some good stuff I tell ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques-uploadfromtaptalk1389062632425.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #976
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the before & after of my lastest brisket.

I picked up this brisket for $1.77/lb!

This time I only rubbed lightly with Kosher Salt & Pepper & brought it up to room temp before I put it on the smoker.

13 Hours over Oak about 250*

Came out Perfect...the bark was sweeter and more carmelly. I think I will use just salt & pepper from now on..everyone like the taste over previous rub mixtures.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #977
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good even though I'm not a brisket fan. I'm at hour seven with a Boston Butt right now. Internal was 165 the last I checked.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #978

Air Force:
Only another 25 degrees to go. So another 3hrs or so
Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #979

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I hit the stall at high 160s, time to foil and wait on 195.

Products Discussed in this Thread