Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #1001
Working at the Nauga Ranch
robssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
Here are several ideas...I used to make something similar a cinnamon bun using canned biscuits in my dutch oven. It sounds like you can probably just buy some pre made cookies in the tube and smoke them closer to 300.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/121/desserts

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/desserts
Thanks for the links Recipes sound great! Good way to spend some money as well
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #1002
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Primo where do you buy your wood? I've bought from Villareal,Paulan and Mtn View here in helotes.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #1003
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
Hey Primo where do you buy your wood? I've bought from Villareal,Paulan and Mtn View here in helotes.

I think I got mine from Paulan.....My friend got a load there that was super seasoned...it was awesome...I don't live in the area and when I went out there, what they had on hand, it didn't seem as seasoned.....it was just OK....I got a 1/3 cord for $50 (fits perfectly in a shortbed).
I ended up cutting all mine in half with a chop saw..the shorter pieces work better with my smoker. I got my load in November..so another 3 months I think it will be totally seasoned to my satisfaction.
Which place did you think was better?

Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #1004
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
Thanks for the links Recipes sound great! Good way to spend some money as well
I was thinking about this today..I bet you can make an awesome smore!

Smoke the full sheet of graham crackers..then toast your marshmallow over the fire as usual. then add the chocolate and marshmallow for a quick toast in the smoker...probably come out extra gooey ..that is why I said start with the full sheet.

Otherwise you just wash some can biscuits with butter, then roll in brown sugar/cinnamon ....smoke on some foil or in a pan.
Or you could do the same thing with a canned pizza dough instead of biscuit. Or roll up canned croissant dough with the same recipe.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #1005
Squirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shedSquirrel cage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Squirrel cage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
Are you serious? You got the chocolate Queens attention
Do you have a recipe, or will any chocolate chip cookie do?
Haha yes I'm serious. Any cookie recipe will do. Just crank up the temp to 325-350 and enjoy! Anything I make in the oven, I also make in the smoker!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1006
trufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the roughtrufunk is a jewel in the rough

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
I think I got mine from Paulan.....My friend got a load there that was super seasoned...it was awesome...I don't live in the area and when I went out there, what they had on hand, it didn't seem as seasoned.....it was just OK....I got a 1/3 cord for $50 (fits perfectly in a shortbed).
I ended up cutting all mine in half with a chop saw..the shorter pieces work better with my smoker. I got my load in November..so another 3 months I think it will be totally seasoned to my satisfaction.
Which place did you think was better?

Price wise I think Paulan is best. I really liked the wood I bought at Villareal...though it was more expensive. When I did my last turkey the owner let me get a handful of cherry which was great!! MT View was good smaller pieces and more expensive. Last time I went to Paulan I got 50 pieces oak/mesquite for 20. Large splits I did cut them down seem to burn better smaller splits. I'd really like to find some post oak.1/3rd of a cord seems a like good amount.Thats what im gonna do next time. I need some wood bad right now!!! Probably get some in a week or so.
Here is my smoker
http://youtu.be/3gr1qvlnyXk
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #1007

That is a really nice smoker. What do you usually make with it? You should get the 1/3 of cord...that way you can prep your small pieces and then be seasoning it to your satisfaction. I spilt my odd pieces to make my kindling.

-Primo!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #1008

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Briskets...what else is there?...jk Done some buts Turkeys...really like to do briskets though.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufunk View Post
Briskets...what else is there?...jk Done some buts Turkeys...really like to do briskets though.
I shop @ the HEB Alon Market...i just noticed they have Prime 1 briskets in a different section...the whole packard style is marbled. It looked like a giant ribeye....that is what i am getting next.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #1010

trufunk's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good!! I can usually find CAB briskets mixed in with regular select, most of the time I'll just ask the butcher what they have in the back.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #1011
Outdoor Adventurer
TEX82Trooper is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant Major,3rd Bn, 39th Rgt, Texas State Guard (prior service 82nd Airborne paratrooper)
Name: John
TEX82Trooper's Tacoma Gallery
Hello fellow Smokers & BBQ lovers

Just wanted to say hi and post a few pics of the BBQ's I have built in this last year. The first is mine that I built from a bunch of scrap & junk I had laying around, cost me about 300$ in additional materials. The second is one I built for a friend's anniversary gift to her husband. The third pic is me coking up our non-traditional Christmas dinner of BBQ beef & pork ribs and a bone-in New York roast done with Texas brisket rub.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #1012
\m/ armor on meats \m/
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX82Trooper View Post
Just wanted to say hi and post a few pics of the BBQ's I have built in this last year. The first is mine that I built from a bunch of scrap & junk I had laying around, cost me about 300$ in additional materials. The second is one I built for a friend's anniversary gift to her husband. The third pic is me coking up our non-traditional Christmas dinner of BBQ beef & pork ribs and a bone-in New York roast done with Texas brisket rub.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #1013
warrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwarrpath4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: tank mechanic bravo co. 3/116th
Name: shawn
warrpath4x4's Tacoma Gallery
smoked some cheese 2 weeks before christmas, first time doing it. said to cold smoke it but it was -15 outside so i just hot smoked it, came out good, we still have some, been shredding it for tacos and baked potatoes.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #1014
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
Some bacon woven deer roasts. I set it in a big bowl of ice for about 6 hours and change the ice a few times in between to get he blood out. Then I marinade it with a garlic and herb overnight, a mild rub on top and then on goes the bacon. The bacon helps get some flavor into the deer meat. Gotta brush the bacon about once and hour with melted butter to keep it from burning up.

Final Product!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #1015
Working at the Nauga Ranch
robssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of lightrobssol is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerBost View Post
Some bacon woven deer roasts. I set it in a big bowl of ice for about 6 hours and change the ice a few times in between to get he blood out. Then I marinade it with a garlic and herb overnight, a mild rub on top and then on goes the bacon. The bacon helps get some flavor into the deer meat. Gotta brush the bacon about once and hour with melted butter to keep it from burning up.

Final Product!
WOW! Looks great! I'll be over for dinner lol
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #1016

Who doesn't love bacon!? lol
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #1017
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Webber Smokey Mountain with digital controller.

Brisket, partially cooked...

Ribs... BRITU style...

[/URL][/IMG]

Smoked pork shoulder, pre-pull.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #1019

I gotta find me one of them brisket recipes. I never did one of those and man do they look good!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #1020
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Shawn:
What does the digital controller do and do you like your SM smoker?
I love my Weber SM!! The digital controller is a DigiQ DX I got from bbqguru.com. It has a pit probe and a meat probe. You set the pit temp to whatever you want it to be (ex: 250 degrees) and the meat temp to what you want it to be when done (ex: 200). Insert the meat probe into the meat (sounds dirty, don't it?), and I clip the pit probe onto a wooden skewer and stick it in one of the shoulders.

The fan will kick on and off in order to maintain the smoker at the set temperature. When the meat hits the set temp, the unit beeps to let you know it is done. You can get really sophisticated ones that'll send you a text when it's done.

Products Discussed in this Thread