Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

I tend to clutter up the Food BS thread with smoking commentary, so I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to smoking food. If you have tips, tricks or techniques, post 'em here! Photos are welcome, too!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are the steps I take for shoulders:

Mustard (sometimes I leave this off)

Spread into a fine coat:

Season generously. Look for a rub that doesn't list sugar or brown sugar as the first ingredient - they usually burn. I like paprika-based rubs like Sticky Pig (a local rub)

Load up your smoker:

Here it is smoking away:

After about 6 hours, ready to go into the oven:

After it reached 190 or so, rested and was pulled. Ready to provide several meals:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Turkey breast I did a few weeks ago:

My brine is a gallon of apple juice, a cup of salt and a cup of sugar. I usually add some crushed garlic and honey.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

My very first brisket:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Chargriller with one side gas and the other charcoal with a side fire box. So far I've smoked pork ribs, 2 briskets, and a pork loin. The ribs and my first briket were crap since it was my first time. 2nd brisket came out better since I paid closer attn to temp control and I had it in some beef broth. All of that was done with Hickory. Then I did the pork loin with some apple wood branches. I was really impressed with the flavor there. I am gonna try some mulberry next, maybe on some ribs.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I have trouble with keeping the temperture at the right setting. Its either too hot or near the end of the warm setting. I have tried putting in a whole lot of charcoal which gets things really hot for a while then dies down and it leaves so much charcoal dust that it smothers the new ones I put in.On the other hand I have tried just using fewer briquets but then it don't get hot enough. Yesterday it rained on me so I just put the darn thing in the overn/
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Smoked Kokes

This is a dry brine for smoking kokanee... here's the main ingredients:

4 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of pickling salt (I used kosher salt)
4 tablespoons rosemary
3 tablespoons oregano
3 tablespoons basil
3 tablespoons of bay leaf

This was mixed and layered between the fillets...put in the refer over night and rinsed off in the morning. Fillets were placed skin side down in the smoker. Burned 4 pans of alder chips and removed after around 3 1/2 hours.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Damn . Always wanted to buy a smoker . Maybe I will now .
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking to pick up a smoker recently as well. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper one for a beginner?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It's funny how you just started this particular thread, and I am about to pull of the Sirloin roast that I just finished cooking. I will have to post pictures later.

I used a generic rub, but also made my own marinade. The night before I took the roast and left it inside the package (it was in a sealed full wrap, NOT a foam container with a plastic cover) I made my marinade, which consisted of vinegar, brown sugar, and a long list of spices that even my own mother doesn't know I use. After mixing it all well, I used an injector to inject the marinade inside at several locations, by simply piercing through the plastic package. It then sat overnight (about 14 hours) in the refrigerator.

This morning I set up the firebox using charcoal as my medium for cooking. Propane grills are fine for some things, but I refuse to use them for slow cooking. I prefer not only the style, but the flavor and smell that comes from using charcoal. After getting the temp inside the grilling area at a consistent 250 degrees, I removed the roast from its package, and applied the rub.

One of the most common problems with slow cooking is drying out the meat. Everyone has their own methods. The one I have always used for over 20 years is taking a couple of paper towels and soaking them in water, then drape them over the top. After the 4 hours (time of course depends on the weight, as well as things like temperature outside, and humidity) I then removed the paper towel, and let it finish the last 45 minutes uncovered.

It looks great, and like I said, I will post the pictures tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I've been looking to pick up a smoker recently as well. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper one for a beginner?
Depending on how much you consider "cheap" but mine cost only $140. I prefer as I mentioned charcoal, so this is the one I have. A side firebox is a MUST for slow cooking, or smoking.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I use the Luhr-Jensen smokers...got a Little Chief and a couple Big Chief's. There's better smokers out there but these will get you going and work well. I've been useing them (mainly for smoking fish and making jerky) for the last 10 years and have never had a problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got my Char griller at Lowes with the dual gas/charcoal for $199 about 2 years ago, then bought the side smoker for $25 that attaches to the charcoal side. It's a big ole cast iron thing, but is very convenient for when ya just wanna grill up some burgers n dogs real quick on the gas side, or Q up some steaks on the charcoal side, then get real crazy n smoke a rack o lamb when your doing yard work n pounding back a few cold ones.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I smoke venison bologna, different cheeses, and venison jerky. Never used a small cabinet though. And I smoke bologna or jerky for no less than 12 hours. Cheese no less than 24
Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Yum, I'm in. Get those pics posted BamaToy
Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:
I bought mine off a friend for $50, and if I ever use it up, I'll make another just like it. It's made out of a keg, with a stainless chimney welded to it and a thermometer in the top. Stabilizes really well at 225-250, and runs for 4-6 hours on one chimney-starter-full of lump hardwood charcoal. Only complaint is that it only holds a single shoulder, around 12 lbs would be the max size at a time. Small and efficient. Kegs are made out of a really nice stainless metal, so it should last a while.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
i wont give out my secrets....

but i do have a spare keg lying around from the 4th of july. may have to chop it up...lol
Old 07-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Kegs are aluminum I believe

Products Discussed in this Thread