Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

BBQ sauce recipes

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
BBQ sauce recipes

Just wondering if anyone has any good homemade bbq sauce recipes they like to use. I've experimented here and there with some okay results. Wondering what everyone else does.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

This has some potential!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

This has some potential!
Apparently not! I guess a lot usually have a ketchup and dijon mustard base. This is what I used the other day as a spur of the moment thing while some chicken was on the grill.

Ketchup
mustard powder (didn't have any dijon mustard)
brown sugar
vinegar
splash of liquid smoke
little bit of hot sauce
pinch of applewood smoke rub
finely diced onion
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
I always remember having to stretch the store bought BBQ by adding ketchup and spices along with the usual worchester and goodies. Always liked it better. I love me some BBQ.................I like it spicy.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I could tell you my BBQ buddy's recipe but then i would have to kill you
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I could tell you my BBQ buddy's recipe but then i would have to kill you
Can I at least eat it first before you kill me?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I like to do everything home made, but there are so many BBQ brands on the market that I just buy and use what is already available. Sometimes I will add a little worchestershire sauce (beef) or mustard (pork).
I like Sweet Baby Ray's - about the only one that I can use just like it is out of the bottle without adding anything to it. It comes in several different flavours.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Can I at least eat it first before you kill me?

Yep, right after you say "OMG this is fucking killer!" BOOM! bullet to the head, kidding, actually, I watched him make it for me up in Oregon. He's a pro BBQer. Don't know what's in his special spices he puts in though.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
I use Sweet baby rays with oarnge juice, Worcester sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and a little soy sauce.. simple but really makes it better
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I like to do everything home made, but there are so many BBQ brands on the market that I just buy and use what is already available. Sometimes I will add a little worchestershire sauce (beef) or mustard (pork).
x2

And this is the best shit on the planet! Shhhhhhh ...don't tell anyone that I told you!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
x2

And this is the best shit on the planet! Shhhhhhh ...don't tell anyone that I told you!
Really? All my local stores have em (maybe cuz i'm in NorCal)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? All my local stores have em (maybe cuz i'm in NorCal)
and you've never tried??? Omg you being a foodie will LOVE IT, I promise!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, right after you say "OMG this is fucking killer!" BOOM! bullet to the head, kidding, actually, I watched him make it for me up in Oregon. He's a pro BBQer. Don't know what's in his special spices he puts in though.
Where in Oregon?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers

Thanks for the tips/suggestions.

This is one of my favs as far as off the shelf stuff that I've had.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Where in Oregon?
Florence, he has a food truck right on the main drag, try the Viking Burger, burger, pulled pork, bacon, cheese and god knows what else, eat that sucker and you won't need to eat for 2-3 days
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
MTaco is on a distinguished road

MTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This is all I use on pulled pork now. It is extremely good, it is more of a pork sauce than a BBQ sauce. I've had 3 people tell me it is the best pulled pork sandwich they have ever had. Just smoke, pull and mix it in. I usually add some more rub too and throw it back on the smoker for a little bit.

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
subbd
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvhrse View Post
I use Sweet baby rays with oarnge juice, Worcester sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and a little soy sauce.. simple but really makes it better
Any proportions or recipe you follow or just kind of a 'mix to taste'? I like Sweet Baby Rays plain so I'd imagine using it as a base would be a great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaco View Post
This is all I use on pulled pork now. It is extremely good, it is more of a pork sauce than a BBQ sauce. I've had 3 people tell me it is the best pulled pork sandwich they have ever had. Just smoke, pull and mix it in. I usually add some more rub too and throw it back on the smoker for a little bit.

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.
That sounds awesome! I'll have to give this one a try also.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I used to bake chicken quarters covered in a simple sauce: apple cider vinegar, a shit-ton of black pepper and/or red pepper, and that's it...you can make it hot as hell but it has great flavor.

For regular BBQ sauce, I prefer a tiny bit of ketchup, vinegar, worchestire, black pepper, and red pepper to taste. Simple and tasty.