Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Chickens

Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
I like chickens and maybe some day will have some. We actually have two pet ducks. Called Rouens and look like mallards but are 3x bigger. Mostly raised for meat but I love mine too much to do that. I think we've finally figured out they are both females so we should get some eggs eventually. I'm hoping they don't taste extremely different than chicken eggs. Maybe at least bake with them.

They are so much fun with tons of personality. We take them for walks and they follow us. We have a large creek in the yard too that's perfect for them.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Nice coop. I'm down to 11 layers and 2 roosters. Had 2 beautiful brahmas,think the fox got them. During our drought there's been a gray fox roaming during the day in search of food.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i dont miss my chickens. at all. the roaches in my backyard were getting numerous. they would gather around the fresh droppings. i wanted to trap them so i could feed them to the chickens in some sick irony experiment..but never worked out the details

birds gone, one backyard spray down by a pro..and all is better in my world.

they were fun, and the eggs were cool.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Nice coop Utard, I like the trees in the middle of the run.

We've only got 5 layers, all Rhode Island Reds. They lay consistently and the eggs are so big you can't close the lid on the "jumbo" egg containers from the store. I'd like to get a couple more layers and maybe one rooster (a Red) in the spring.

We did lose one hen to a red tail last year. They were free ranging without supervision and it was late fall, food was scarce for the hawk at that time. Came out to see it plucking the hen only 30 feet from the front door. Don't blame the hawk, they're easy pickins, we're just a lot more careful about when they're let out.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
Hows you flock doing?

I just finished my coop last weekend.

I have 11 chickens. They are about 8 weeks old today.
You don't have issues with raccoons coming in down the tree or is the chicken wire tight to the tree ?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I am down to 7 now 3 ended up being roosters. Roosters are not allowed in city limits. So had to say by by to them. Everything is fully contained. The wire goes right to the tree. I am in a typical 1/5 acre city lot. So I have lots of neighbors with dog and cats but no raccoons to worry about. So consequently I can't let them roam around. Plus the fact I have a in ground pool. No need for chicken crap in the pool. I made the run with plenty of room and it is fully enclosed. We do have the occasional coopers hawk that loves the doves around here. But with that in mind I sealed it up good. I have 7 layers and hope to get some eggs by around x-mas. So far they are pretty funny pets. Just wish I could let them roam around to eat bugs.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you swing by Afghanistan and pick up one of these sweet bikes so you can take your chickens to the club.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 15 that we got this spring; 10 hens, 5 roos (soon to be 2; the noise at 4:30AM is getting a little overwhelming). Plus 1 stupid, loud, annoying goose that we inherited from SWMBO's brother. Dominiques and Buff Orpingtons.

Had 6 Red Rangers (meat) that we raised for 12 weeks this summer, too, but they're all in the freezer. The lightest one weighed 7lbs dressed; heaviest weighed just shy of 9. Watching them run around the yard was like watching linebackers run the 100; slightly ridiculous, but funny as hell.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Watching them run around the yard was like watching linebackers run the 100; slightly ridiculous, but funny as hell.
I know what you mean. When they get running around they look a little retarded sometimes. Wings a flapping head a wobbling. lol

I ended up eating 2 of my roosters. They were a bit young and small but tasty.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #32
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
I know what you mean. When they get running around they look a little retarded sometimes. Wings a flapping head a wobbling. lol

I ended up eating 2 of my roosters. They were a bit young and small but tasty.
They are funny to watch. The roasters were so heavy and unathletic that whenever they had a battle for dominance, they'd hash out who was top bird, and then they'd have to lie down. The layers are much lighter on their feet.