Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

what is your favorite piece of kitchen gear?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
these are great for grilling in the middle of winter.. I love mine!

la creuset enamled cast iron

Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
these are great for grilling in the middle of winter.. I love mine!

la creuset enamled cast iron

I have this same pan but I can't get it to season properly for the life of me. I think its because I don't cook bacon in it.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #43
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
I have this same pan but I can't get it to season properly for the life of me. I think its because I don't cook bacon in it.
what issue are you having? I have 2.. one of them has a black enamel inside.. and does not need seasoning.. another that I have needs it.. perhaps yours if fully enameled?

read this.. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/484661
Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #44
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
My Shun chef's knife.

Checkit

Hand sliced fresh garlic so thin you can read through it.

A close #2 would be my AllClad Classics.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #45
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
My Shun chef's knife.

Checkit

hella nice knife.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #46
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
what issue are you having? I have 2.. one of them has a black enamel inside.. and does not need anything.. another that I have needs it.. perhaps yours if fully enameled?

read this.. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/484661
It doesn't have any coating on the inside. Its straight up cast iron. But instead of the oils creating that nice smooth nonstick top coat it chars it. I never over heat it or atleast I keep it at the same temps as the rest of my cast iron and they are seasoned great.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #47
Bad Spuller

Quote:
It doesn't have any coating on the inside. Its straight up cast iron. But instead of the oils creating that nice smooth nonstick top coat it chars it. I never over heat it or atleast I keep it at the same temps as the rest of my cast iron and they are seasoned great.
Yea.. Cook more fatty stuff on it for awhile. Get those pores in it filled with fat.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #48
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
two things. one; season with flax seed oil. wipe it on, pop it into a 400 degree oven..pan upside down so excess can drip out. let is sit until hot, shut off oven and let it cool. it will be bulletproof.

two: when you drop something in the pan, the pan better be rocket hot first. and the food better not be something delicate like fish. drop the food in, and let it sit. dont fuck with it. when the food crusts up, it will release. the you flip.

even my good pans still stick if i fuss with the food right away. let it crust.

(Same deal applies to your bbq grill)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #49
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
I have an old ERIE cast Iron frying pan. It was given to my Grandmother when her and my Grandpap left Virginia to seek their fortune in Pittsburgh where my Grandpap would work for years as a Steel worker. The move created some hard feelings between my great grandma and her daughter (my grandma) so the only thing she was given as she left was this Cast iron frying pan. I never knew my Great Grandma, but I have the pan.

I almost never use it, its well over 100 yrs old, and use my Lodge cast iron all the time.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #50
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
crockpot hands down.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #51
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
man o man!! last year i tossed out all my LODGE cast iron and bought 100+ year old pans from a hoarder. he had thousands of antique pans in his barn. all of them never used. i think his wife put her foot down and he had to cull the herd. he must have gotten psychiatric help..he sold everything he had more than one of.

after alot of work..i have them seasoned very very well. they are as slick as my Teflon pans. and i break the rules..i wash them. no soap, but i hit them with hot tap water and a soapless green scrubber. i love these things. they are my chicken roasting pans, skillets..corn bread pans....pan fryers...there is nothing i cant do..well, i cant make soup they are the kitchen's ultimate multitasker.

tada!
+1 on the cast iron skillets. I heated my 2 seasoned up ones (one night) to cook steaks, got them to a medium high heat and seared those steaks and finished them in the oven. Man my wife won't let me cook them on a grill outside anymore! Don't forget pancakes in there too! YUM!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #52
III is on a distinguished road
III's Tacoma Gallery
biased, but the triple-threat-daily-beaters probably takes it

global G-16 24cm, tongs, rubbermaid spatula. gets through the 16 hour days like nothing lol.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #53
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
My Shun chef's knife.

Checkit

A completely out-of-the-blue thing...my knife guy just dropped by (yes, on Christmas day) and handed me a gift. He says, "Thanks for being loyal customers. Enjoy!"

Its not often I'm at a loss for words. But I'm absolutely stunned.

Its so silly sharp I can't even describe to you. And talk about LIGHT...4.4 oz according to my scale.

Flabbergasted!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #54
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Not a fan of that santuko shape but that thing is a beauty! I need a Japanese knife. I'll probably not go with a Wa handle. Stunning blade friend.