Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Venison Recipe

Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Venison Recipe

Killed me a deer last week and got me some steakes, burgers, chops, roast from it. Now I am trying to find some good recipes! Especially some that cover the taste for my wife
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Bleed it out good in cooler on ice,keep adding ice. I do this along with some salt. Helps take the game out.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I am not a fan of vension due to the gamey taste. I have heard soaking it in milk or buttermilk kills the gamey taste of it, but I have not tried it.

You can always make it into pepperoni. We had some of our kill made into pepperoni and it is friggin tasty!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelfan_08 View Post
Killed me a deer last week and got me some steakes, burgers, chops, roast from it. Now I am trying to find some good recipes! Especially some that cover the taste for my wife
I was just thinking of posting this the other day, so...

Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I usually do some nuggets dipped in milk and eggs,roll in corn meal and fry it in the little fry daddy. Then roll my ass to bed
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
gamey taste? that is what the food industry had done to us. they have programed into our heads what meat should taste like.

i love venison!! congrats on the deer! i cook venison in various ways. you HAVE TO treat it like beef and use the different parts of the deer in specific ways. like the tenderloins and backstraps..salt pepper, seared to medium rare. the shoulder..stew. the rump..beat the crap out of it, and make chicken fried steak.

you lucky dog!! i dont have deer this year. (but i have an elk!)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammdogg View Post
I am not a fan of vension due to the gamey taste. I have heard soaking it in milk or buttermilk kills the gamey taste of it, but I have not tried it.
i don't do the soak in milk thing. ate some meat after my friend had done it once and ended up sick. . . normally, OP i go with the classic - soak whatever you want to cook the next day in Italian dressing overnight. cut up the meat into small chunks, wrap them in bacon, grill. . simmer a little bbq sauce in a pot on the stove and dip them in it if you want too. . . that's the sure fire way to make it taste great.

hams and all that, just take them to a butcher and have some cow fat put in it. then you can have hamburger and sausage that taste great.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
cut up the meat into small chunks, wrap them in bacon, grill. . simmer a little bbq sauce in a pot on the stove and dip them in it if you want too. . . that's the sure fire way to make it taste great.
I think you've pretty much summed up how to make just about anything taste great.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
DblstuftTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
DblstuftTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
gamey taste? that is what the food industry had done to us. they have programed into our heads what meat should taste like.

i love venison!! congrats on the deer! i cook venison in various ways. you HAVE TO treat it like beef and use the different parts of the deer in specific ways. like the tenderloins and backstraps..salt pepper, seared to medium rare. the shoulder..stew. the rump..beat the crap out of it, and make chicken fried steak.

you lucky dog!! i dont have deer this year. (but i have an elk!)

X2
I let mine hang for around a week at around 35-40 degrees.
With venison burger, My wife isn't always a fan, so i add a pound of bacon per 4lbs deer. Bacon works magic..

I always cook deer steaks to medium / medium rare, it makes a world of difference on a piece of meat as lean as deer.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I like to take the backstraps and stuff them with Italian sausage and wrap them in bacon, then grill on a low heat till the bacon is crisp.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
here is my favorite way to follow up a game kill.

keep it simple..salt, pepper..maybe sear it up in butter. med rare. i like that french method of basting it in the butter/oil while it is cooking. makes for a great flavorful crust.

this is an elk back-strap steak.
Attached Thumbnails
Venison Recipe-elky.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
i use 99% of my burger meat for hamburger helper haha. then everything else typically goes into the crock pot with different goodies. never had much of a gamey taste to me though? of course its a little different taste but its still pretty good.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Could not agree more, this is a mans meal
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
I think you've pretty much summed up how to make just about anything taste great.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
grill nugget recipe:

Cut backstrap into 3/4" slabs, coat them with powdered meat tenderizer, pound them with tenderizer hammer, soak in milk for an hour. Take them out, season 1 side with creole seasoning, the other side with garlic/salt/pepper, throw those bad boys on the grill just like mini-sirloins and enjoy. When you get it right, you will know... oh, em, gee.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I love a venison roast or a front/hind quarter when it is hickory smoked really slow just like a boston butt or something. Can't remember any specifics of time and temp because I haven't done one for a long while. But keep the outside moist with butter or EVO. It will be tougher and much leaner than pork but tastes delicious if it doesn't dry out too much. Slice or chip it up for some killer BBQ sandwiches.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
No deer for me this year, but I have Elk meat. In addition ot the good advice here, try some carne asada recipes. Most of them are designed to make lower grade, tougher, leaner cuts of beef into delicious burrito stuffings.

I marinate the meat in Sunny Delight, with garlic, salt, and pepper, cilantro etc for 24hrs.. Then sear it at high heat on the bbq (mesquite lump charcoal!). Take it off medium rare and slice thin. Make tacos etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
good idea spitfire!!

i like a shot of cheap tequila in the marinade. i do this all the time!!