Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Duck Eggs

Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
Duck Eggs

Out of curiosity...anyone eat duck eggs? I have two pet ducks that have recently started laying and I'm starting to enjoy them more than chicken eggs! So far they've been faithfully giving me two a day (one each), which is slightly odd because Rouen's are more meat ducks than egg producers and everything I've read said ducks normally have one every other day haha. I've read that they are twice as nutritious and from personal experience they are pretty tasty.

Here are a few pictures of them to share just because I love them so much. Who knew ducks could be so entertaining. We take them on daily walks to the creek on our property and they go for swims. As I said, they are both Rouen ducks. They look like Mallards but are 3 times as big. I present... Nut and Bolt!

Nut is on the right, Bolt on the left.

Nut being a nut.

"No Neck Nut" she saw a big bird above so she sucked her neck in. lol

Sorry for the huge pictures.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
how do they taste different from a chicken egg?

i've had salted duck eggs, and i couldnt tell what egg it is with the salt process.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

i've had salted duck eggs, and i couldnt tell what egg it is with the salt process.
You had salted chicken egg before? Not to jump off subject but i've had vinegar and spicy pickled hard boiled chicken egg. Those are good also.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yea. i have some in the fridge now. i cant go full strength with them..i whisk them into regular unsalted eggs and steam it into a patty..then out comes the rice steamer.

my mom will carefully split a salted duck egg and steam it with the rice. it is overly salty for me. all i taste is salt.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I've done with duck eggs is bury them in a shoe box in the Texas heat and use them at Halloween!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

It's kind of hard to describe but initially I thought that tasted slightly more "gamey"? They are bigger and thicker as well. I was a little nervous to try them at first but they are good. A cool thing too is that people that are allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck eggs.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
weird timing. i just got a magazine in the mail. there is an article comparing chicken eggs to duck eggs. i havent read it yet..but looking at pics..the duck eggs have a bigger yolk.

i'll read it tonight.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Fire Pony

Quote:
weird timing. i just got a magazine in the mail. there is an article comparing chicken eggs to duck eggs. i havent read it yet..but looking at pics..the duck eggs have a bigger yolk.

i'll read it tonight.
Awesome! Yeah they are a bit bigger than chicken eggs.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
for those that care..i read the article.

a duck egg..44% is yolk. chicken egg 33%.

so bigger yolk. scrambled the chicken egg is fluffier..and the duck egg is denser.

baking..no issues.

duck eggs are richer in flavor.

i love my food geek magazine!!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
ADCarter1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Denise
ADCarter1's Tacoma Gallery
I buy them occasionally at our local livestock auction and treat them as chicken eggs. I think they may be Swedish blue? We eat them and like them but my dogs, my Bloodhound in particular, go wild for them so I scramble them for the dogs as a treat. Or, I accidentally leave them on the counter, and the aforementioned Bloodhound jumps up and eats them raw, shell and all.

Just FYI, at the auction, they can go from .60 to $2 each. Depending on whether the restaurateurs and pretentious yuppies with unlimited funds show up.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
There is duck egg delicacy in the Phillipines. It is called "Balut" (not sure of the spelling--it is pronounced bu loot'). I am told it is the egg eaten just before it is ready to hatch. Never felt like trying it.

We raised ducks for a while. The eggs were good. We had geese about the same time. Those eggs made great Easter eggs.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
There is duck egg delicacy in the Phillipines. It is called "Balut" (not sure of the spelling--it is pronounced bu loot'). I am told it is the egg eaten just before it is ready to hatch. Never felt like trying it.

had one handed to me. i couldnt do it. didnt help that it was dyed bright-ass pink.