Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Valentines dinner. suggestions?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Valentines dinner. suggestions?

So for valentines, i'm gonna grill up some good steaks for me and my woman. I know how to grill and my steaks usually come out pretty kick ass. but these are really expensive filet's and i wanna make sure i do them justice. normally, i just marinate the steaks in olive oil for 24 hours. then as i'm grilling them i put crushed pepper and sea salt on them and thats all i do. i find that marinades and rubs typically detract from the natural meat flavor. But i was wondering if anyone else had any methods that are good and aren't too overbearing (if anyone says dale's i'll kill them)

Also, for sides i usually steam or grill asparagus or green beans and maybe have bread or a salad but i was wondering if anyone had any different suggestions for more creative sides.

and lastly, how do you saute mushrooms? i usually just throw them in a pan with butter or olive oil and a little soy sauce but i have to admit, they are good but not great. i wanna throw some shrooms on top of the steak but i was gonna see if anyone had any killer mushroom recipes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
If your gonna sautee the mushrooms yes, use butter, also red wine. Then carmalize some onions, vidalia is best imo. I usually rub a good steak with some light seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion salt then grill.

Grilled asparagus is good. Do some zucchini too.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nate.....look for my marinade thread. what i marinade deer meat in....i use with regular steaks too, and they are awesome. when you cook the steaks..........use a stainless bowl and set it over the steaks......kinda broil them man........they will stay tender as they can be. and what ghost said about the mushrooms.......you will like them with a lil red wine to carmelize. and grilled zucchini and squash is great too man....use a little butter/olive oil, salt and pepper on them.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the butter and red wine for the mushrooms...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'm gonna do the mushrooms with butter, EVOO, chopped garlic and some wine.

i dont really want to rub the steaks, not as expensive as they were. i think i'll keep them simple. i love the taste of a simply prepared expensive cut of cow. one thing i wanted to try was heating up a pan on high then after grilling just throw them in the pan for about a minute or two on each side. not enough to cook teh inside but enough to sear the outside. but i have never tried this and dont want to do anything to risk screwing it up

i think i will steam some asparagus in EVOO and soy sauce, thats how we usually do it. the zucchini was a good suggestion though, i may do that on the grill
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Mushrooms are easy peezy.

Butter alone is good, but I'd add a pinch of black pepper, kosher salt and rosemary.

I've even done some in heavy cream, white wine and white pepper too.

Mushrooms can be treated like they're made of meat. If you think of it like that, it'll help you come up with some creative ways to fix them.

As for our dinner:

Braised lamb loin chops with a cherry glaze
Haricots Verts sautéed in butter and white pepper
Baked New Potatoes with rosemary
Sun-dried tomato and herb couscous
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'm gonna do the mushrooms with butter, EVOO, chopped garlic and some wine.

i think i will steam some asparagus in EVOO and soy sauce, thats how we usually do it. the zucchini was a good suggestion though, i may do that on the grill

You got the steaks covered....

For the mushrooms...
Add the wine to the mushrooms AFTER the garlic, and butter have cooked for a min or two. Then allow the sauce to reduce down. Add a lil heavy cream if you have it. ALWAYS TASTE

And for the asparagus..
trim the ends off about a 1/2 inch.
Bring a pot of water to boil.
Boil the asparagus until tender. (but Not fully cooked)
Prepare a (ice bath) bowl of water filled with ice.

Just before ur steaks are done, place the asparagus on the grill with a little EVOO & salt N pepper. Grill for about 2 mins... YUMMMM

And if you really wanna get crazy...drizzly *Hollandaise Sauce over the asparagus .

*Hollandaise Sauce
3 egg yolks
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter

In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, cold water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Gradually whisk yolk mixture into butter. Continue whisking over low heat for 8 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Serve immediately.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #8

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Mushrooms are easy peezy.

Butter alone is good, but I'd add a pinch of black pepper, kosher salt and rosemary.

I've even done some in heavy cream, white wine and white pepper too.

Mushrooms can be treated like they're made of meat. If you think of it like that, it'll help you come up with some creative ways to fix them.

As for our dinner:

Braised lamb loin chops with a cherry glaze
Haricots Verts sautéed in butter and white pepper
Baked New Potatoes with rosemary
Sun-dried tomato and herb couscous
i was hoping you'd put your input in. the whole "treating mushrooms like meat" thing is good advice, i never knew that. any input on briefly searing the steaks on a pan after i grill em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
You got the steaks covered....

For the mushrooms...
Add the wine to the mushrooms AFTER the garlic, and butter have cooked for a min or two. Then allow the sauce to reduce down. Add a lil heavy cream if you have it. ALWAYS TASTE

And for the asparagus..
trim the ends off about a 1/2 inch.
Bring a pot of water to boil.
Boil the asparagus until tender. (but Not fully cooked)
Prepare a (ice bath) bowl of water filled with ice.

Just before ur steaks are done, place the asparagus on the grill with a little EVOO & salt N pepper. Grill for about 2 mins... YUMMMM

And if you really wanna get crazy...drizzly *Hollandaise Sauce over the asparagus .

*Hollandaise Sauce
3 egg yolks
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter

In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice, cold water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Gradually whisk yolk mixture into butter. Continue whisking over low heat for 8 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Serve immediately.
thanks for the suggestion. i may try that hollandaise sauce. i never knew it was that easy to make.

as for the asparagus, i think i'll try that. what is the point of the cold water though? never heard ofdoing that. i ussually just throw them in a covered pan on medium with water and soy sauce. either way i like my veggies barely cooked
Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
you're SHOCKING the asparagus its called "blanching".... and it stops them from cooking instantly. End result is to prevent SOGGY asparaugs.

They dont have to sit it the water swimming...after they are cool you can take um out of the water, and let them sit on the counter until they are ready to go on the grill.

The grill flavor just adds more flavor.

Immediately remove asparagus with tongs and place in prepared ice water (this stops the cooking process instantly and prevents asparagus from overcooking).

Cool completely. Remove from water, and dry well on paper towels.

After the grill!!! Yummmmmmmmmy
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Thick strip steaks, (1.3 - 1.4 lbs a piece) Montreal steak seasoning 1/2 hr beforehand and left at room temp for that time, hot grill, lightly charred on the outside, medium rare - rare on the inside.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i was hoping you'd put your input in. the whole "treating mushrooms like meat" thing is good advice, i never knew that. any input on briefly searing the steaks on a pan after i grill em?
I wouldn't do it. You may run the risk of overcooking. Also, it's not really adding anything to the steaks. It's just adding more heat, and drying them out.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #12

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
you're SHOCKING the asparagus its called "blanching".... and it stops them from cooking instantly. End result is to prevent SOGGY asparaugs.

They dont have to sit it the water swimming...after they are cool you can take um out of the water, and let them sit on the counter until they are ready to go on the grill.

The grill flavor just adds more flavor.

Immediately remove asparagus with tongs and place in prepared ice water (this stops the cooking process instantly and prevents asparagus from overcooking).

Cool completely. Remove from water, and dry well on paper towels.

After the grill!!! Yummmmmmmmmy
sweet! i'm definitely gonna try that. thanks for teh suggestion
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i dont really want to rub the steaks, not as expensive as they were. i think i'll keep them simple. i love the taste of a simply prepared expensive cut of cow. one thing i wanted to try was heating up a pan on high then after grilling just throw them in the pan for about a minute or two on each side. not enough to cook teh inside but enough to sear the outside. but i have never tried this and dont want to do anything to risk screwing it up
I wouldn't do that. Just cook them on really high heat on the grill for about 4 minutes per side, then tent them with aluminum foil once you take them off of the grill and let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving them. If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend Bobby Flay's cook books on grilling... he's got some incredible recipes, and lots of great advice on how to prepare stuff.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
its so easy a cave man could do it! LOL
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
A little crumbled melted blue cheese on top of steaks is awesome.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #16

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Thick strip steaks, (1.3 - 1.4 lbs a piece) Montreal steak seasoning 1/2 hr beforehand and left at room temp for that time, hot grill, lightly charred on the outside, medium rare - rare on the inside.
i already got two fillet mignon. 1 lb each, about 2 inch's thick. i have thought about seasoning them but i have decided against it. i just want the dead cow flavor with a little pepper and salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
I wouldn't do it. You may run the risk of overcooking.
yeah, thats what i was thinking too. i'll try that next time i have some cheaper steaks
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
well, here i am, all sexed out. let me tell you how this day played out. i woke up, and my lady was making me cream cheese and strawberry jam french toast with fresh strawberries on top. then she made me a mimosa. then she went down on me while i was drinking my mimosa. so needless to say my day started off pretty good. then i went and got some propane and random groceries. then i cooked those steaks and saute'd the shrooms and cooked the asparagus and it was one of the best meals i have had in the last year. then she did a little strip tease for me (she's been taking those stripping exercise classes) and then we did it until i almost passed out. she's in bed now recovering and i'm continuing to get drunk... which is prolly why i'm telling you about my personal life. anyway, thanks for the help guys, it definintely worked!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Bourbon

That's good to hear! It's still early here
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #19
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
nice, good job!!!