Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Backpacking Food Ideas

Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
TW Addict
Y0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to all

Army: (01/2006-07/2009)B 2-44 ADA 101st Airbone Air Assault Division
Name: Zac
Y0TA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Y0TA
Backpacking Food Ideas

Hi friends! So I'm coming home from Iraq in less than 2 months(47 days to be exact, but who's counting...hehe) and I am going on a week long trip close to the AT(Appalachian Trail). Its actually the BMT(Benton Mackaye Trail) that goes from GA into TN and up to NC. We plan on going roughly 10 miles a day for 5 days/4 nights. I know I should be eating some where between 3000-4000 calories a day, but I need some good ideas. Things that are light and heavy in calories at the same time. For the first night I plan to freeze a nice thick steak and cook up a potato, but for the rest I'm going to need some ideas. Anyone have some thoughts?

I should have put this in the Food Thread, I know. Sorry
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Just steal some MREs before you come home
That is an option. Anything you can can works well too.

One of the best meals I ever made was chicken, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and squash- Sautéed all of it together and put it in a jar- just had to heat it up on the trail. Clif bars make good snacks...

If you want real easy-Check out: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___237__

Same idea as MRE's...Maybe a bit better tho. Not much...but a bit...

Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Big Bag of Trail MIx!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Now theres an idea!!! ^^
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Where ya going....to the desert?

Thanks for all you've done. Stay low!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
best thing to take is at your local camping store. they are freeze dried meals in a bag. All you need is your camp stove, which you will have, and water to boil. add them together and boom...........you got a great filling meal that is light and travels well in a 5 day pack. My favorite one is the spaghetti and meat sauce
Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
ketchup haha. what about that food that you soak in water and it magically changes into ice cream or something
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I do MRE's Sorry to bring you back or Mountain House.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
You will find lots of possibilities at REI
http://www.rei.com/category/4500001_Food
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Just steal some MREs before you come home

x2
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
have a safe trip back I should be flying in as you fly out. As for the camping trip bring beer and more beer and a snickers bar, OK 2 snickers bars.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Beef Jerky. High protein, high salt which you'll need if you're sweating your bag off.
As mentioned trail mix. Nuts have a high energy kick for their weight. Throw dried raisins, craisins, bananas, mangos etc for a sugar boost.
You're going to want starch too. I'm a big broad bean fan. They're canned, but provide a high kick of starch and much needed fiber. One can a day will be more than sufficient. Seriously, I took a wicked crap after eating half a can. And I mean wicked in a good way. Broad beans are generally done up in brine so they have a nice salty kick without being too over bearing. And if you want you can add them to a pot without having to add extra water to your other food.

Greens. Eh, that's a little more difficult. Root veggies have long self life off the shelf so pack some carrots (Even though they aren't green.) Beets work good, and they make your pee bright red. Imposing enough to scare off any bear. Add some asparagus to that and you've got it made! Not to mention all these veggies can be bought canned too.

Have fun! Take lots of pictures.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
Bolo is on a distinguished road
Bolo's Tacoma Gallery
you have to have jerky...
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
You too, My family is in Mt Airy NC if you ever in town look us up for a few beers. Im dying to go to Telico camping, fishing, kayaking. Again God Speed and enjoy your time back.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
MSteinhauer is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
MSteinhauer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a big fan of the freeze dried foods for backpacking. I have heard that they don't give you all the necesary nutrients and that while you can survive on them for a few days, during that time your body use up some of its reserves. That being said, I like to find things like chicken w/ BBQ sause in a sleeve. It's often in the tuna section, also rice can be very good. For lunch if you make a sandwich instead of bread use pita or tortillas. They pack nice and compact. Baby carrots don't go bad too quickly and don't get smashed in your pack so they can make a nice veggie to bring along. And a nice addition to any meal is a favorite spice which can be put in a little ziplock bag so you don't have to take the whole container of it. And for breakfast I am a big fan of oatmeal and brown sugar, unless you don't want a warm breakfast and you would rather hit the trails quickly in which case I'd eat granola bars of some sort.
Have fun
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be careful on the baby carrots. Without proper refrigeration, they can go off in as little as two days. And then they taste like complete shit. Trust me. I ate an entire bag once.

I was hungry.