Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Kitchen knives

Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cant go wrong with one ofd these:
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #22
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Everyone knows the advantage of Titanium!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #23

Or, Some true function, and value:
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Those Cutco knives have been in my family for 30 years so far. My parents go them as a wedding gift and passed them down to me when I left for culinary school.

But it's good to hear that you don't have a heart. I was nervous.
My brother is at Le Cordon Bleu in Austin taking the patisserie and baking program. He also uses the same knifes as you are. By any chance are you going to the same school?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, i'm really digging the Globals. does anyone have any more opinions of these knives? any good things to say? bad things?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
i got knives from a company called Cutco. Pretty expensive but life time warranty, no questions asked. Haven't ever dulled and thats all my family uses.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #27
yote38 is on a distinguished road
yote38's Tacoma Gallery
Go Global, you will not regret the purchase. Very nice knives. I have Wusthof but only because I couldn't afford Global.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #28
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Look at an online vendor called. Arizona Custom Knife, under the kitchen/chefs knifes section.

The Japanese chef's knives are amazing. They are made of either Blue Steel or White Steel.

These are super metals that are sandwiched in between lesser metals that form a core.

These knives are probably some of the hardest Rockwel blades I have ever encountered.

They do need care because they can rust. Many of the blades are hand hammer forged.

These are keepers that stay with you the rest of your life and may be handed down. They knives cost, though a few hundred for each.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/c...es/?category=7

Using knives like this makes meal prep actually fun and pleasurable because of the ease of cutting, but also because you're using you're valued knife in a practical way. To me, this is a step beyond just collecting, to the level of using your collection. You get the sublime dual pleasures fo meal prep and
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Look at an online vendor called. Arizona Custom Knife, under the kitchen/chefs knifes section.

The Japanese chef's knives are amazing. They are made of either Blue Steel or White Steel.

These are super metals that are sandwiched in between lesser metals that form a core.

These knives are probably some of the hardest Rockwel blades I have ever encountered.

They do need care because they can rust. Many of the blades are hand hammer forged.

These are keepers that stay with you the rest of your life and may be handed down. They knives cost, though a few hundred for each.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/c...es/?category=7

Using knives like this makes meal prep actually fun and pleasurable because of the ease of cutting, but also because you're using you're valued knife in a practical way. To me, this is a step beyond just collecting, to the level of using your collection. You get the sublime dual pleasures fo meal prep and
Thanks for the suggestion, but i already ordered hers. unfortunately the link you sent me is blocked due to it being a "knives/weapons" link.... which is weird because no other kitchen knife link was blocked at work. but i'll definintely take a look when i get home
Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but i already ordered hers. unfortunately the link you sent me is blocked due to it being a "knives/weapons" link.... which is weird because no other kitchen knife link was blocked at work. but i'll definintely take a look when i get home
which sword did you order?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #31
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
work afraid youre going to order some knives at work and then in 7-10 business days go on a slashing fest when they arrive?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #32

nd's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you that care, here is what i ordered for my lady. After much research and comparison, i chose the Shun Classic knives. They consistently ranked in the top 3 as far as quality and comfort and edge. I also thought they were the most aesthetically pleasing. Not a whole lot of fancy writing and signatures, just a single japanese character with the words "shun" discretely written underneath. Diana likes japanese stuff and has a bunch of japanese crap in her kitchen and i thought these would go well. Anyway, i cant wait till they get here. i have to wait till april to give them to her so i may use the hell out of them between now and then and just tell her "the came with chunks of food on them" I cant remember what site i ordered from but here is a link to a site that has some pics of them...

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10283

a sotoku style and a paring knife and the bamboo display case

anyway, thanks for all the help guys, it helped me narrow down my search and find something i think is best suited for her

here's a pic of the knives...
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen knives-10283a.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a Henckel man myself. If you're breaking the tips, you're not using it correctly. My Mum's had her knives for longer than I've been walking this earth and I love my self. I have the 4 and 5 star series. They have an entry level set that's made in china. Stay away from those.

Really. Henckel, Wustoff or Victronix (Spl?) will be awesome so long as you get their good knives and not their entry level crap.

Problem with having super hard knives is that they'll chip easier and be harder to sharpen when the time comes. Just some food for thought.