Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Kitchen knives

Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Kitchen knives

My ladies birthday is coming up and she loves to cook but hates all her crappy kitchen stuff she had in college. I have recently found out how nice it is to have quality knives and so i'm gonna get her some good knives for part of her birthday. I have Wusthof stuff and love it. I'm looking at a 7 inch sotoku ($120 typically but found it on sale) and a 3 inch paring knife, also by Wusthof. i'm also looking at Henkle (sp) knives.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Any chefs out there that have a preferred brand? I'd also like to know why you like them ("i just do" is not an answer) I like the Wusthof because of the quality of the blade, the comfort, and the blade has little "grooves" that help keep veggies from sticking to it when you chop. Thanks for your suggestions.

(mjp2, lsocoee, 007tacoma, Ed, TheMaster, Banshee, Jhodge.... other jackass's.... your post's will be ignored since i'm sure you dont have anything but smart ass answers)
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
that wusthof sotoku knife your talking about is sweet...i cant exactly tell you why but my mom whos been cooking for 30+ years loves it and uses it every day so that must mean something. i bought her that and the 3in pairing knife for christmas and she loves both of them. Wusthof FTW!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
1 Word: Ginsu

Make sure to bring some aluminum cans, tomatoes, concrete blocks, and hardened steel to the store to test out the knives before you buy.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
that wusthof sotoku knife your talking about is sweet...i cant exactly tell you why but my mom whos been cooking for 30+ years loves it and uses it every day so that must mean something. i bought her that and the 3in pairing knife for christmas and she loves both of them. Wusthof FTW!
yeah thats what im thinking. typically, to cut something with skin (bell pepper, tomato) you have to slide the knife. with the wusthof you can just press down and it cuts right through it. i have a thin cutting board (one of the really thin ones, like paper) and with no effort it cut straight through when i was slicing. the quality and the edge on teh blade are amazing. i think thats what i'm getting her but i wanted some input first

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
1 Word: Ginsu

Make sure to bring some aluminum cans, tomatoes, concrete blocks, and hardened steel to the store to test out the knives before you buy.
thank you for proving my point... smart ass
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
thank you for proving my point... smart ass
but you didn't follow through. You were supposed to ignore me.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
1st.. DONT BUY Henkle!!!
2nd.. Dont buy wood handled knives!!!

wusthof knives are the best made kitchen knives in the world. However, I do not like them.. too heavy, and suck for long hours of use.

I need something that holds a edge longer...

8" Chef knife is the knife EVERY cook should own.

For YEARS my favorite brand has been Forschner Knives!

Victorinox is the original Swiss Army company and they manufacture the Swiss Army knives as well as kitchen cutlery. The top quality Victorinox fully forged brand is made in Solingen, Germany and is a relatively new venture for them. They have all the features and more that are found in Henckels Five Star and Wusthoff.
Forschner is manufactured in Ibach, Switzerland. This cutlery collection has grown in size and stature since its name was first carved in steel in 1855. Historically a premier choice of culinary professionals that is preferred by professionals of today.
Renowned for its extremely sharp, swiss made, steel blades from Victorinox, R.H. Forschner provides professionals in food processing and preparation with superior quality and value-priced cutlery that enhances and increases productivity.

Here is something you WILL be very happy with.

Forschner Forged Stainless 7.0" Granton Edge Santoku Chef's Knife
$57.95

Forschner knives seriously kick ass!! Trust me
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
We got one of the sets of Henkle knives from our wedding registry, and I'm really happy with them so far. They're light, but not too light, and hold a nice edge. They were one of the cheaper sets (only one henkle guy on the blade as opposed to 2, and made in Spain I think). They were about $170 total, but we had to add a few knives like the bread knife and paring knife. I wouldn't get carried away and spend too much money unless your girlfriend can really tell the difference between a $40 knife and a $200 knife... I guarantee my wife wouldn't be able to.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
1st.. DONT BUY Henkle!!!
2nd.. Dont buy wood handled knives!!!

wusthof knives are the best made kitchen knives in the world. However, I do not like them.. too heavy, and suck for long hours of use.

I need something that holds a edge longer...

8" Chef knife is the knife EVERY cook should own.

For YEARS my favorite brand has been Forschner Knives!

Victorinox is the original Swiss Army company and they manufacture the Swiss Army knives as well as kitchen cutlery. The top quality Victorinox fully forged brand is made in Solingen, Germany and is a relatively new venture for them. They have all the features and more that are found in Henckels Five Star and Wusthoff.
Forschner is manufactured in Ibach, Switzerland. This cutlery collection has grown in size and stature since its name was first carved in steel in 1855. Historically a premier choice of culinary professionals that is preferred by professionals of today.
Renowned for its extremely sharp, swiss made, steel blades from Victorinox, R.H. Forschner provides professionals in food processing and preparation with superior quality and value-priced cutlery that enhances and increases productivity.

Here is something you WILL be very happy with.

Forschner Forged Stainless 7.0" Granton Edge Santoku Chef's Knife
$57.95

Forschner knives seriously kick ass!! Trust me
Thanks for the response. whats wrong with henkle? i thought they were suppose to be great? I like the Forschner, i'll have to look into those. i think the wusthof looks better though, and she is a girl so style coutns for a lot. i'm definitely looking at the forschners now though. i like the sotoku style, over the chef style, but is there really much of a difference between the two? Is either one better or just suited for different purposes?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
just remember that whatever you buy her...she'll be using to chase you around with later when you piss her off
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Nate, I'm scared. First the Valentine's dinner, now a thoughtful gift?

It almost seems like you...have a heart...

*shudder*

I'm going to answer the question, but I'm going to think of it like you're going to commit a crime with these knives.

I'm partial to the Messermeister knives that I'm using now. I like them because they have some heft to them. I like heavier knives versus lighter ones. I feel like I'm less likely to lose control. Those that you are looking at are great knives. I personally don't like any Santoku blade, they're just too straight. I can't rock the knife back and forth.

I also have a small set of Cutco knives. They are heavy too. They all come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. If anything happens to them, be it a broken handle or even a dull blade, they'll replace or fix it.

One thing I can tell you to look for are knives with a full tang. Those will always last longer and be better balanced. A full tang isn't as important with the paring knife, as it won't see much hard work like the Santoku or Chef's knife.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #12

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
We got one of the sets of Henkle knives from our wedding registry, and I'm really happy with them so far. They're light, but not too light, and hold a nice edge. They were one of the cheaper sets (only one henkle guy on the blade as opposed to 2, and made in Spain I think). They were about $170 total, but we had to add a few knives like the bread knife and paring knife. I wouldn't get carried away and spend too much money unless your girlfriend can really tell the difference between a $40 knife and a $200 knife... I guarantee my wife wouldn't be able to.
Well, she is using a walmart $10 sotoku and paring knife now, and they are terrible. you have to drag it through bell pepper skin like a plow to cut it and it wont hold an edge for more than a few uses. I have never had a problem spending extra cash for superior quality (i bought a tacoma didn't i?) so if i'm gonna get her something its gonna be top of the line. and i can certainly appreciate the quality in mine, so i thing they're worth the money. Plus good cutlery is like good china, you can pass it down for generations. My aunt has her mothers old kitcen knives from germany and they are still beautiful and sharp as hell.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #13

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Nate, I'm scared. First the Valentine's dinner, now a thoughtful gift?

It almost seems like you...have a heart...

*shudder*

I'm going to answer the question, but I'm going to think of it like you're going to commit a crime with these knives.

I'm partial to the Messermeister knives that I'm using now. I like them because they have some heft to them. I like heavier knives versus lighter ones. I feel like I'm less likely to lose control. Those that you are looking at are great knives. I personally don't like any Santoku blade, they're just too straight. I can't rock the knife back and forth.

I also have a small set of Cutco knives. They are heavy too. They all come with a lifetime replacement guarantee. If anything happens to them, be it a broken handle or even a dull blade, they'll replace or fix it.

One thing I can tell you to look for are knives with a full tang. Those will always last longer and be better balanced. A full tang isn't as important with the paring knife, as it won't see much hard work like the Santoku or Chef's knife.

Hope that helps a little.
first of all i DO NOT have a heart! i'm just doing this as an attempt to put it in her butt.

Secondly, thanks for the response. you make a good point about the curve of the chef knife being able to rock. Now i have something ELSE to think about.

As for cutco, i know all about them. i was one of those high schoolers that got roped into the salesmen seminar. i left after the first "lesson" or whatever but i learned all about the construction and importance of a full tang (thats what she said ) and all that other important construction crap.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Those Cutco knives have been in my family for 30 years so far. My parents go them as a wedding gift and passed them down to me when I left for culinary school.

But it's good to hear that you don't have a heart. I was nervous.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
Wusthof knives are heavy...but they hold an edge well...something lighter that you might like are the shun series. they are super sharp. lighter than the wusthofs and in my opinion look better. I use the wusthofs at home and my wife uses the shuns.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shun-elite-knives.html
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
My ladies birthday is coming up and she loves to cook but hates all her crappy kitchen stuff she had in college. I have recently found out how nice it is to have quality knives and so i'm gonna get her some good knives for part of her birthday. I have Wusthof stuff and love it. I'm looking at a 7 inch sotoku ($120 typically but found it on sale) and a 3 inch paring knife, also by Wusthof. i'm also looking at Henkle (sp) knives.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Any chefs out there that have a preferred brand? I'd also like to know why you like them ("i just do" is not an answer) I like the Wusthof because of the quality of the blade, the comfort, and the blade has little "grooves" that help keep veggies from sticking to it when you chop. Thanks for your suggestions.

(mjp2, lsocoee, 007tacoma, Ed, TheMaster, Banshee, Jhodge.... other jackass's.... your post's will be ignored since i'm sure you dont have anything but smart ass answers)

henckals are known for having their tips breaking, im really surpised you haven't looked at global knives, i have an 7 piece set that i use in the kitchen and almost everytime i open my bag the global chef knife is the one i take, i have 2 wustoffs that i like but there heavy i like my global cause its light perfectly balanced, cuts threw fish with easy, hold an edge they have a nice 3 piece set that you can get thats pretty cheap

http://www.kitchenu.com/shop/Product...x?sku=5899&np=

shun knives are nice but there really expensive and there not that comfortable to hold if your doing prep all day.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, dinner, knives.. What's next.. A baby carriage??

Try this place out. They have a nice Cuisinart set on sale for $59

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...alse&search=GO
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! those global's are really nice! now i have too many damn options!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I heard these worked well:

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I heard these worked well:

damn, i forgot to include you in the list of people i would ignore....