Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Can you handles hot peppers

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #42
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, home skillet.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #43
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a chiles piquin plant. They grow around my grand fathers house pack a good kick.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Thanks, home skillet.
Alright, back at the keyboard so I can try to remember what we used.

We chopped everything by hand into small chunks, about the size of your valve stem cap.

(10) Vine ripened Roma tomatoes
(1) small can tomato sauce (unsalted)
(1/2) Large Walla-Walla sweet onion
(1) cob of fresh corn (shaved kernels)
(3-4) miniature bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)
(1) bunch green onion
(5) cloves of fresh garlic (finely chopped)
(5) Jalapenos
(3) Habaneros
(1) Mystery Red Pepper (looks like a red habanero)
(1) large handful of fresh cilantro (love that shit)
(1) fresh lime
Seasonings: Fresh ground Indian Tellicherry Peppercorns, Smoked Salt, Cayenne, Chipotle, Sea Salt

Chop the veggies into small chunks about the size of your corn kernels EXCEPT for the hot peppers (set those aside).

Mix in a large bowl, and add your cilantro, fresh minced garlic, and fresh lime juice.

For the HOT peppers, I cut the stem off, and threw them in a blender. I added some of the chopped veggies from the bowl into the blender, and used 'Pulse' on LOW to chop it all up until it was a thick paste consistency. Once you reach the desired thickness, add the "hot mix" into the rest of the salsa, or in a separate bowl with addtl. regular salsa added so you can have a mild and hot variety (that's what we did anyway).

BE CAREFUL not to breathe in the fumes when you open the blender. The peppers are really hot, and releasing that much capsaicin will irritate your mucous membranes and make you cry. I actually wore nitrile gloves when working with them, just to make sure I didn't do something stupid like take a piss or rub my eyes. That stuff doesn't come off with just soap and water.

Let it sit for at least 3 hours, and check the consistency regularly. If it is too watery, or not thick enough for you, add addtl. tomato sauce if necessary.

I think that about covers it, but my apologies if I forgot anything. This made about 6 cups of regular salsa, and 4 cups of HOT salsa. It kept really well, and lasted us about 2 weeks.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #45
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I can't stay away from spicy foods in general. Ever since I can remember, hot peppers do a number on my plumbing. If I eat jalapenos or any other pepper, I can be guaranteed of a 5AM wake-up call. The stomach pain and the o-ring flameout it causes makes me think of swearing off hot peppers forever.

The dried crushed peppers in Korean food or chiles in Thai food don't seem to cause the same problems.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
...........and the o-ring flameout...........
okay, buddy. you owe me a new keyboard. hahaha..
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
the o-ring flameout
Yup... "Honey, bring me a fucking snow-cone so I can wipe my ass!"
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
How about the ghost pepper. I am growing one right now.
I have some hot sauce made with that. Pretty good stuff.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #49
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Yup... "Honey, bring me a fucking snow-cone so I can wipe my ass!"

Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #50
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about the ghost pepper. I am growing one right now.
I did a ghost chili wing challenge once.. once. At a place called the library in Laramie Wyoming. The challenge was to eat 10 wing in 5 mins. Didnt happen. got 8 down but breathing got difficult. I lost and then subsequently completed the gallon challenge.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #51
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
I did a ghost chili wing challenge once.. once. At a place called the library in Laramie Wyoming. The challenge was to eat 10 wing in 5 mins. Didnt happen. got 8 down but breathing got difficult. I lost and then subsequently completed the gallon challenge.
Sounds like when I ate a mouthful of Inglehoffer Wasabi....I seriously couldn't breathe, my throat was constricting and spasm'ing. scared the shit out of myself while my g/f was laughing her ass off
Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #52
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Sounds like when I ate a mouthful of Inglehoffer Wasabi....I seriously couldn't breathe, my throat was constricting and spasm'ing. scared the shit out of myself while my g/f was laughing her ass off
My roommate and a couple of other friends were there and video taped it. They laughed through the whole thing. I had to sign a waiver saying that I would sue them if I got hurt.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #53
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
My roommate and a couple of other friends were there and video taped it. They laughed through the whole thing. I had to sign a waiver saying that I would sue them if I got hurt.

I think you meant wouldn't..
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #54
The Sailing Memebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 169.254.255.201 View Post

I think you meant wouldn't..
You are correct
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
Lurker Extraordinaire
Loutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant future
Air Force: Tech Sgt (Vet)
Name: Chris
Loutennant's Tacoma Gallery
Growing Help Needed

I'm a total chilli head, as are most of my friends. Our wives think we're insane, but whatever. As far as I'm concerned, the hotter the better and jalapenos just have good flavor, not much heat. A good curry with insane heat and some garlic naan bread plus a stout or porter to wash it all down and let the malts counteract the spices ... perfect dinner!

I was growing Numex Halloweens (small ornamental pepper, maybe 7-8,500 scoville units) in England, but had to leave that plant with a friend. Now I'm growing habaneros on my back patio. Problem is the sun is just so brutal here in GA that it totally withers the plant after just a few hours. I'm having to water it a lot more than I would have ever thought with a pepper plant and keep it in the shade most of the time. Normally the quickest way to kill one is to over water it.

Any other growers in hot southern states have similar problems or decent solutions? It's got a somewhat decent sized pot, but the plant has grown from a small little thing to about mid-thigh. Maybe I need a larger pot and more soil to keep in more of the moisture during the day?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #56
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
I like growing the hot ones also, I usually repot mine to a 5-6 gallon container before they get to big with some new soil with sulfur mixed in the bottom, you might try that. I have one ghost pepper turning red and more on the way, I'll post some pics when more turn, I water mine every other day in dry weather.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #57
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
I like growing the hot ones also, I usually repot mine to a 5-6 gallon container before they get to big with some new soil with sulfur mixed in the bottom, you might try that. I have one ghost pepper turning red and more on the way, I'll post some pics when more turn, I water mine every other day in dry weather.
My ghost is in a 5 gallon bucket. I water it everyday. I read they like lots of water but in well drained soil.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
Lurker Extraordinaire
Loutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
Quote:
My ghost is in a 5 gallon bucket. I water it everyday. I read they like lots of water but in well drained soil.
Thanks! Might try to beg an empty 5 gallon bucket off the maintenance guys at my apt complex. Then it's just a matter of drilling some holes in the bottom so the water can drain and I'm good-to-go!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #59
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
I love spicy foods. As far as it hurting coming out, I believe I have solved the mystery. I drink milkshakes afterward. I'll have some wings and hit up Sonic, after 8:00pm for the half price shakes, and it does the trick.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #60
Lurker Extraordinaire
If you know in advance that you're going to be eating something stupid hot, the best thing to do is eat bananas beforehand. They'll coat the lining of the stomach and innards to make it more bearable.

Nothing you can do about the ring sting, though. Peeing molten lava out your bum hole is never fun.